Fnuffing Windows

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Fnuffing Windows

Post by Drone » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am

Accidentally let the hard drive fill up the other day. No problem I thought, I'll just archive all of last years sessions onto my backup drive.

Funny, windows won't let me copy even though it's the original drive that's full, not the target, keeps complaining it doesn't have enough file space.

So I had to boot it into linux, after failing to get my machine to recognize a USB boot drive, had to find a CD and now I'm merrily copying the data to the backup drive, from an OS residing in memory :o

Fnuff Windows, nuff said :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Feel better? :twisted:

I wonder if that issue exists on the SS drives.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Took a bit.

First had to change the BIOS of the machine as I had it set to hard drive boot first.

Then had a few attempts to get my USB stick to boot, not sure if the USB image is bad, or the machine won't boot from USB, rewrote the image a few times.

Then tried a linux install CD but it wouldn't recognize the window partition types.

Then I found my Rescue CD, but it mounted both drives read-only.

Finally remounted the destination drive RW, and got the thing copying, and went out for fun and food.

Came back it was done, verified the data had copied, removed it from the original drive, booted back into Windows and am running defrag.

Probably still quicker than re-aligning a tape machine so I suppose I've got that going for me :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Always, always, always, always:

Use an external hard drive for your work files.

Now you know... why.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:16 am

Nick: Just put together a new PC with OS & DAW software, etc. on SSD boot drive and all work files going to a second internal HDD ... external drive HDD just for back up and archiving. Is this an acceptable structure in your opinion?
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:21 am

jimjazzdad wrote:Nick: Just put together a new PC with OS & DAW software, etc. on SSD boot drive and all work files going to a second internal HDD ... external drive HDD just for back up and archiving. Is this an acceptable structure in your opinion?
Yep.

This has been the way ever since DAWs came into existence. Because the operating system drives, even today, need to be left for toe operating system.

RAM swap files are the largest burden on them. These are large files that are dumps of RAM to the drive, both in case of computer failure, and how Windows operates in general. Whenever you make a change to an open document, these swaps take place.
If you have several programs running at once, these files get big, and take up a lot of the motherboards bandwidth between RAM chips and disk drive.

Once you offload the DAWs large bandwidth requirements or recording and streaming audio and sometimes video from the operating system drive, you end up using a totally different side of the motherboard, with a dedicated disk driver (Firewire instead of SATA), and it allows the motherboard to handle large track counts and recordings much much better.

When you fill your operating system drive with DAW data, in addition to getting rid of the swap file space needed, you also can overburden the SATA hard disk buss.

Two things that you should never do. As this issue has clearly shown.

Cheers.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 am

Also, for me, de-fragging is an issue, organization, etc.

I'm still running Win XP pro on a dual P3 set-up with a SATA OS/progs drive and 2 SATA HDD's for music files and storage, and two USB2.0 HDD's for storage.

Keeping the OS separate is essential for speed and security, and the ability to re-build (I've had to replace the OS drive once in 9 years.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 am

Ah, for the limitless resources of you professional guys :mrgreen:

If REAPER ever make good on their linux version, I can kick this Microsoft shit to the kerb.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Nick, he is a pro, but I'm a bedio amateur here - in all ways. :twisted:

The pooter is old, the drives accumulated thru the years.

I like Reaper, been thinking onnit, but I'm so used to the discontinued Cool Edit ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm a little behind that, on XP unpro, eventually I might get a second drive for it.

That aside, not being able to copy files from a drive because of lack of space is pure Micorsoft,and the reason I'd like to dump it, I mean come on. :mrgreen:

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:08 pm

For all of you insisting on Winblows machines:

I've been playtesting Pro Tools 12.7 and Reaper 5.xxx on
a Windows 10 machine, an Acer.

It will be running certain known plug ins, such as:

Waves Mercury,
GForce instruments (all of them),
Arturia Collection 5,
FXpansion plug ins (only the ones I own),
Antares Auto Tune 7 native (VST / AAX) and their vocal producer bundle,
PSP plug ins (the ones I own),

And other stuff.

I will, after a month or two, post on here, on another thread, what stuff happened.

As ever, an external drive will be used. Both a USB flash drive, and another USB 2 drive, for the audio.

Cheers

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:51 pm

This must be opposite day then :mrgreen:

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 am

Like Drone, I was running XP unpro. This was on a very old P4 (maybe even P3?) with small IDE hard drives, an M-Audio Delta 44 card and Reaper. I only ran audio on this machine and only went to the interweb for Reaper updates. It was bullet-proof reliable but the lack of storage space and the resource crunch running plug-ins eventually drove me to my new-to-me machine. I loaded it with Win 7, because I am a tinfoil hat type and don't want to deal with Win 10. I have to agree with Drone - if I could get Linux to do audio well (like driver support for audio interfaces and ability to run Reaper in native OS), I would kick Windows to the curb.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:11 am

+1 on the M-Audio Delta 44 card.

I even found a use for the 2nd pair of audio outs, running 'em to my (new to me) Tivoli.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:26 am

Similar to my setup, I have a 1010LT and a machine that was mid-range in 2007. Mine does not connect to the net, period.