Reco me a mini keyboard

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Reco me a mini keyboard

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:04 am

I have the Yamaha S03 on reco from someone here - bravo!

And I have a few Casios.

What I want now is a small-form factor synth, like the Korg, Waldorf, Arturia, Novation, even Alesis and Akai models.

My main use would be studio, to make pads (hopefully some decent string and organ patches) and the occasional synth-lead.

And I am a guitarist/bassist, with no interest in MIDI or programing, really, just simplicity and good sounds, cheap.

So, yer mission if you accept same is reco me such a synth, thanx.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:15 pm

It's not the answer you want to hear but one of those M-Audio mini keyboard dealies into a spare laptop is the cheapest/most flexible/best sounding option (provided you've got a computer that can run VSTIs). I've got one that gets used all the time and there are so many good, free virtual synth out there that I haven't spent a penny beyond the $50 or so that I paid for the keyboard.
I've got a freebee sampler with most of the melotron sounds (plus a milion of my own tape loop based pads), virtual farfisa and vox organs, virtual Juno 106, and a ton of other odds and ends.
I know it's a little out of your comfort zone. Take the plunge. You won't be disappointed.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:59 am

Thanx for the thought but I have ruled that out for numerous reasons.

Like the lady-robot said, I want hardware.

I'm leaning toward the Novation stuff ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:36 pm

I've been enjoying the Yamaha Reface DX & CS. The CS is faux analog, easy to adjust & get cool sounds out of, no patch memory. The DX is an FM synth, which means there's a learning curve to programming, but it has patch memory--and there appear to be some patch collections on the internet. Programming is a little more accessible than on old FM synths, and the display screen is handy. Both run off batteries & have built in speakers. If you can find a good deal on a used one of either of these, you might enjoy. Plenty of youtub videos to check out if you want to get a sense of what they can do/how they work.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:13 am

Or, if you want to go through lots of presets until you find a cool sound, the Korg Microstation might be up your street. I've never used one, but it seems like your basic modern synth workstation in a scaled-down format.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Yeah, I'm no keyboardist, I'm just looking to fill in some recordings, mebbe do a change up tune inna set if it come to that ...

I love the SO3 and it's patches - all I use are the organ and piano.

But sometimes it's a PITA to dig it out so I grab a li'l Casio what is better than not having the keys track when I need it, but doesn't sound as good as it should.

So I want something that's got some decent sound, and is small enuff to leave ready to go on top of a amp or hanging on the wall in my little bedio.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 am

Aiight, so when I make a little money, I spend it.

I bought a broken Arturia Microbrute for US$130 delivered offa the Ebog and fixed it in 10 minutes (some jammed keys). It's very cool, but very munch a synth, monophonic and tweaky.

I just ordered and await and think I'll love the MicroKorg ($US230 shipped).

In the meantime, tho', I picked up a Yamaha PSS380 for US$60 shipped and damn!, what a cool little toy. Great patches, some fun little rhythms for practice, and a built in synth that alters the patches.

Almost wish I had rec'd the Yama (it took 2.5 weeks for delivery) as I might not have ordered the Microkorg ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 am

Microkorg is pretty cool, much fun for pads and mebbe I'll learn the sequencer. I've used it on a few songs now and it does a good synth thing, but not happy with the organic organ sounds ...

Aiight, 3 Casio's, a Yamaha S03, a Yamaha PSS380, a Microbrute and a Microkorg later ...

... It's the Yamaha Reface YC.

Just tookt delivery onnit (US$189 shipped) from a Reverb.com seller.

Freaking awesome for a organ - ahem - aficionado like me.

So much fun!

Thank you, winky dinglehoffer for the reco!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:31 am

I keep waiting for the refaces to get to that price. I have a real Yc-45d but it's huge and heavy..and awesome.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:49 am

I'd buy 'em all at that price; this was, of course used.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying the reface--the DX, I've found, is a little bright and spitty at times, and it takes some work to overcome that. Nonetheless, it makes some great sounds and is about as easy to edit as any DX synth I've experienced (and that's quite a few.)
The CS is still a ridiculous amount of fun. It has some quirks (using pitch bend with the distortion on is a bit unpredictable), but I choose to think of those as features rather than bugs.

Maybe one day I'll pick up the CP or YC as well--both look quite cool.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:16 am

The YC has a very cool leslie thing, and the ability to process a external signal, what I might get to some day.

It's a blast to play, 4.5 pounds and the 3/4 keys are not a issue for Trump-fingered me.

I even like the red color; get drunk enuff and ya could pretend it's a Nord.

My only issue withit is - nothing. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

I've gotten a ton of use out of my microKorg for the things you mentioned.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 am

Me, also, but it's kinda tweaky, and I haven't gotten better than a generic organ sound, altho' I like the synth sounds I have gotten.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.