RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
parallel compression using a console

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollowidolrec
audio school

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

trying to figure how to mult the signal. do I run out of the direct out of one channel into another? or do I need a special cable? whats the easiest way?thanks
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

Hi,

Basically, what you want to do is have two identical signal chains, except on one you will add the compressor to it.

You can use mults on the patchbay in order to split the output of your tape machine / DAW into more than one console input.

The general rule of thumb for multis is taking ONE output, and splitting it into many inputs, is ok, but NOt the other way around, ie multiple outputs into ONE input.

Chers
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

The way I've done it is to put a compressor on an aux buss then you can easily balance how much of which tracks go to the parallel comp.

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

What Nick said. If your patchbay is set up so that your daw/ tape machine's outs are half-normalled to your mixer line ins, you can obtain a mult by patching from the non-breaking point on one channel, to your compressor, to the breaking point on another channel. Alternatively, you can create a dedicated mult on two channels of your patchbay using jumpers in back so that patching into any point mults to the other three - for when you need dual parallel Very Happy. Noise/ impedance/ drive capability issues can arise if you create too many mults from one source, some manuals address this.
Note that this is a good reason to have a mixer with more channels than your capture medium's track count.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
The way I've done it is to put a compressor on an aux buss then you can easily balance how much of which tracks go to the parallel comp.

In a pinch, that can work too. However, for purists, you end up passing the signal through a lot more circuitry.

Some prosumer consoles can get really noisy as soon as you use parallel processing with them. Your mileage may vary.
drumsound
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

I would use bus outs on my console. Especially when I wanted to have a drum group parallel.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

[quote="drumsound"]I would use bus outs on my console. Especially when I wanted to have a drum group parallel.[/quote

Or put the comp on the insert of a sub group. I've got an Alesis micro limiter permanently wired to sub 1-2 on my console. I bus the drums there as well as to the 2 mix and then sneak the sub group fader up till things sound good.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

An Interpol fan, are ya?
A.David.MacKinnon
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: parallel compression using a console Reply with quote

vvv wrote:
An Interpol fan, are ya?

Nope. I just like trashy.

http://adavidmackinnon.blogspot.com
http://adavidmackinnon.bandcamp.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: