Hardware Digital Reverbs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Hardware Digital Reverbs

Post by Matt C. » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:21 pm

looking for opinions and recommendations on replacing my digital hardware reverb.

Right now I have a Lexicon MPX100. I can get usable sounds occasionally but generally it doesn't sound good to me, and I don't like having so many options.

I'd like something that has fewer settings (just reverb and not all the other multi-FX stuff), and that sounds decent (mainly doing loud rock/punk type stuff)

The Yamaha ProR3 and REV5 both seem to be well regarded. any insight into these or similar units? I'm not looking to spend a lot but want to get something that sounds better than the cheapest of the cheap that I have now.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm

My 2 cents....
If you want fewer choices,but something that does great reverbs,find a Lexicon Pcm60 with the "UPDATE" chip. the plate and room sounds are great without the update,its push button,and its ridiculously easy to audition. I had 3,about 25 years ago, I think the update chip adds reverse/inverse. BTW-I'm in a couple bands,one plays occasionally,called the Silverteens. whats your day rate?
I am the Walnut

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:53 am

thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. Also sent you a PM

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

the Alesis wedge is one that I think is really underappreciated and it`s probably due to the weird table top form but I use this a lot - really great plate and room sounds and some decent delays and choruses too. can be had CHEAP!
the new rules : there are no rules

0wl
pluggin' in mics

Post by 0wl » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Honestly if you've got a hard-ish rock style, I'd say check out the LXP-1 before you spend too much on something else. It might not be "better" than what you have now, but its small, simple, and super cheap. Worth checking out to see if you enjoy its flavor. I personally have gotten a lot of use out of mine.

Good luck!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:56 pm

try taking your cheap reverb track and sending it 100% wet (or not) to a PA that's set up in the best reverb-y room you have available - set up a mic or two and record the room sound and mix it back in

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 am

The best option now days is the Bricasti M7. It's wonderful, everything you hear about it is true. Older Lexicons should be avoided unless you are a world class repair tech and have sources for obsolete parts when they fail.

Second choice would be a PCM 92.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 am

I'm with Burnt Ernie. For simplicity and cool sound the PCM60 is king.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm

I've had a pair of MPX100's since they first came out. I use them for delays, the 'echo' function has a 6k limited bandwidth with reduced bandwidth each repeat, just like natural echo or tape delay. I often fold back the Bricasti M7 returns through those.

Another cheapo sleeper is the older Lexicon Reflex. It has a randomizer function in the reverb software like the 480L and gives a very dense and thick drum verb. Those go for around $50 or so.

The equally cheap Lexicon Alex has a nice gold foil algo that is also different and worth the $50 they sell for used.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

My plan is to get the Bricasti one day after reading glowing review from many different engineers.

On the cheap, my TC Electronics M2000 gets plenty of use. The medium gold plate, small room, medium room, and percussion room are all pretty handy. Nice flexibility in terms of routing; stereo, dual mono, serial etc. It has a useable de-esser and a lot of silly chorus and flange effects I seldom use.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:02 pm

It's probably not cheap but I really liked the sound of the IGS springtime..does one thing amazingly well..

wow just googled the price :oops: