Cassette Demos

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Cassette Demos

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:48 am

I've gone back to 4 and 8 track cassette for writing and demoing my own stuff. It's amazing how it focuses my mind in the important stuff (writing and performance). It also sounds pretty good when you put some really expensive stuff up front and then mix on a real console.

Here's a new one tracked on the tascam 488.

https://soundcloud.com/a-david-mackinno ... ck-bummers

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Sounds great A. David. Love it.

Very nice song, great arrangement touches, well performed. Nothing about it screams "4-track" (like some lesser productions might). Very well done.

What exactly did you run it through at the studio? I remember doing some sessions at a friend's 8-track home studio years ago; they were "good," but got new life when that Fostex machine was run through an Amek console, and some pro fx were applied.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Sounds great A. David. Love it.

Very nice song, great arrangement touches, well performed. Nothing about it screams "4-track" (like some lesser productions might). Very well done.

What exactly did you run it through at the studio? I remember doing some sessions at a friend's 8-track home studio years ago; they were "good," but got new life when that Fostex machine was run through an Amek console, and some pro fx were applied.

GJ
Thanks!
It's all pretty simple. RE15 on vocal, 414 on guitar. Both through Gap73 preamps. Drums were just the guitar mic. I didn't move it or even adjust levels. Piano and percussion were also the 414/Gap combo and the organ is a Hammond S6 direct. Mix was everything run through the line outs into my Soundcraft 500. Add a little eq and some delay for the vocal. No comps or anything else.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:03 pm

8) Thanks!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "