vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 pm

>>>>pictures fixed by shedshrine<<<<

My son!! I knew you could do it. Now start the mower and cut that lawn!

On another note-- I've had a Discogs account since 2012, but just got around to starting to input my collection this year. Up to only 450 records and CDs and tapes (after one-week of painstaking entry)... Soooooooo many more, plus DVDs and VHS' to go. Already seems like a forever project.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:51 am

Gregg Juke wrote:>>>>pictures fixed by shedshrine<<<<

My son!! I knew you could do it. Now start the mower and cut that lawn!

On another note-- I've had a Discogs account since 2012, but just got around to starting to input my collection this year. Up to only 450 records and CDs and tapes (after one-week of painstaking entry)... Soooooooo many more, plus DVDs and VHS' to go. Already seems like a forever project.

GJ
i just did all my vinyl (got rid of all my CD's, actually traded them in for more vinyl lol). Got 272 LP's, not bad, it's a great site to aggregate so you don't buy doubles and to keep track of stuff you want to get.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 am

The records were starting to accumulate and I thought wow I should probably make some kind of spreadsheet so I know what I've got.
Then I came across Discogs and ..well hell. Signed up in May of 2012.

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:09 am

Been on a buying/acquiring spree lately. Mostly LP's, but some CD's (love the box sets), and some 7-inches as well.

I celebrated record store day yesterday by buying a bunch of things at three locations (that _do not_ participate in "Record Store Day" [tm]). It's gotten political, corporate, and expensive the last few years, so it's hard for smaller stores to participate. I also didn't feel like fighting the crowds. But I still love it...

Anyway, I went to two shops and an estate sale (actually three estate sales, but the other two only had the standard doilies, light bulbs, and Mantovani records), and picked-up about 12 records ranging from $1.50 for a 2 LP Basie set to $16 for a Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" picture disc. Average was between $6.50-$7.00 per LP; all in great shape.

I acquired, and will be listening, or have listened to:

*Mike Oldfield-- Tubular Bells
*Focus-- Moving Waves
*Ahmad Jamal-- Live at the Pershing
*The Poll Winners: Barney Kessel, Ray Bryant, and Shelly Manne
*Irakere-- Irakere
*Count Basie-- 16 Men Swinging
*John Coltrane-- Black Pearls
*Jackie Davis-- Jumpin' Jackie Davis at the Hammond Organ
*James Cotton-- 100% Cotton
*Chess Records-- Wrinkles: Classic & Rare Chess Instrumentals
*Jose Mangual-- Buyu

Pretty psyched about the windfall!

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Great stuff Gregg!

I picked up a copy of this. Store said they requested 30 copies, but only received 10.
This morning entering it into my collection on Discogs I see guys selling it for $35-$40 on up. Ugh. (edit: 4/24 there are several in the low $20's now listed ..)

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 pm

^^^^"We shall call you 'CrateFull,' the god of vinyl purchases you shall be!"

Haven't been able to post here for several days because the new Baracuda filter on my work Internet connection is blocking access. Through estates sales, thrift stores, record shops, and a record show (today), I've recently brought home quite a bit of vintage/NOS vinyl. Just a few highlights: Dave Brubeck's "Time in Outerspace," four different Jean Luc Ponty LP's, more Count Basie, three by Johnny Hodges, an exotica album by Enoch Light, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, "Two Decades of Jazz" (1956 on EmArcy), Ray Mantilla, Charles Lloyd, Lester Young, Johnny Winter, Bobby Hutcherson, Cal Tjader, Strawbs, "Blues Deluxe," and Family. Too many more to list or remember here right now...

I also grabbed five nice CD packages today. "The Best of Malo," John Coltrane's "Interstellar Space" and "The Complete Africa/Brass Sessions," Art Blakey's "Soul Finger," and Jack Dejohnette's "Selections." Picked-up Airto's "Fingers" and have been playing the heck out of it. A nice Black Uhuru box set too.

Owning great sounding music in a nice package is 1,000,000X better than leasing files, imho.

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 08, 2017 11:58 am

"Vintage/New Old Stock vinyl". Do you mean some sealed copies miraculously found in shipping boxes in a warehouse from back in the day here?

For my part, I just received Robyn Hitchcock's new self titled. His 22nd album, Psychedelia alt tracked in Nashville. (and well packed!) "an ecstatic work of negativity".
Robyn Hitchcock Boss Pedals.jpg
Robyn Hitchcock Boss Pedals.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Robyn and Syd.jpg
Robyn and Syd.jpg (122.07 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm

There might have been a couple legit NOS items, shed. The only two that I can think of right now are the John "Spider" Martin LP on Improv (brand new never opened/sealed), and I think the Jose Mangual "Buyu" album.

Fancy de-shrink-wrapper, btw. Is that a Cold Steel?

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 am

Sebatier? Henkel?

From the Guggenheim collection:
"Buddha with Vinyl near some Faux Marble" Shedshrine 2017

The Jam, lots of Tortoise, Yusef Lateef, Forbidden Planet, Stereolab, and a wrecking crew backed album about the Zodiac signs.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:21 am

that's my favorite stereolab record. i enjoy their mid-late output, not really a fan of their early noisy-rock-drone thing. the bossa nova lounge groove stuff is what i like.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: Stereolab. It's my fave as well! Save the second track on side two. (the spiracles?) Repeated listens haven't let it grow on me yet.

Guggenheim collection cont'd:
"Buddha on faux marble with random vinyl, part 2"- shedshrine 2017

back row L to R
Bartok -The 6 String Quartets box set. Only $4 minty because who buys classical at the local jazzy rock shop?
Herbie Hancock-The Prisoner. Some '69 jazz I put on tonight. Pretty laid back. His Fat Albert Rotunda album gets a lot more play around here.
Yusef Lateef- The Doctor is in...and out. Yusef meditates with funk backing:) Though on the last track, he takes some banal Bing Crosby-esque old radio sounding 1926 pop tune and plays along with it laying down an awesome sax solo across it in 1976.
Siouxsie & the Banshees- Tinderbox. Arguably their best. Arguably.
Fellini- Satyricon. fim soundtrack The weird sound of Rome before Christ.
BladeRunner- Laserdisc set of movie, like massive 12" silver dollar thick cds. Dollar bin.

front row
T. Monk - Underground. French resistance, Nazi's, wine, rifles..and the music aint bad.
The Cure - Mixed Up 2 lp. Remixes for days.
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine, for those times when you'd rather die than give someone else control.1989 press. Apparently rare, the album didn't take off initially.
King Crimson - Starless & Bible Black with the suede paper textured cover.
Mancini- Mr Lucky for the gloss 1960 airbrush cover of the giraffe necked cat
El Debke- Music of the Middle East. 1962 Belly Dancing music. I must admit, I have yet to listen to this. minty Dollar bin cheesecake find with glossy cover.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:26 am

The big print giveth and the small print taketh away. I've used .3 of the 2.0 gig available for a free account on Photobucket, a library of photos I've built up for years, and used mainly as a place to store photos I've posted here on TapeOp.

Apparently I'm not supposed to link those photos anywhere where people can see them. My bad. Some sites do, I picked the wrong one back in the day, and now they are enforcing. Unfortunately that means pretty much everything I've ever posted here since 2004 is no longer viewable as of now, unless I sign up for a $399.00 a year Plus account that "enables 3rd party hosting".

This being the case,( I'm pretty sure North Korea is behind this. jk.)
I'm currently looking for any good aka economical suggestions for photo hosting.

Looking at these at the moment:
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hos ... es-3486329

It's been a labor of love, and I may try to manually migrate all the photos to a new site, and then relink the images per tapeop thread...but it will be as I have time.

Thanks.
Michael

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 am

I had to stop hosting pics I post to this site on of my basement server. They get a ton of hits. Mostly from search engines crawling this thing, I think. Especially the signature image. That one gets crazy if you post a lot.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:26 pm

More Robyn Hitchcock in various incarnations

1950 lp cover like Christmas wrapping paper.
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re:

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 am

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:42 am
The ELP Laser Turntable
Reproduces analog music from vinyl records by laser,
Uses neither stylus nor digitization.
No contact and no wear.
Prices start at 15k.

That looks awesome. Price tag must be crazy.

GJ
Gregg Juke