Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:30 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
ubertar wrote:UREI 535 double 10-band graphic eq. Gonna try it out on some drum tracks. Apparently these use the same transformers as the 1176.
I've got a pair of 539s (mono, cut only graphs). They're nice in front of and/or after a mono reverb or on a chamber/room send. Also great as line amps. Even without the graph dialed in you can just run it as a line amp with hi and lo pass filters. Super handy to have around.
Tried it out for the first time today... just got the TRS cables I needed for turning into pigtails for the ins/outs. Ran some drum tracks through them with all the faders all the way up and the gains all the way down (anything higher with the faders up like that was clipping on the way in). The results weren't dramatic, but it sounded fuller and more "alive". The waveform definitely looked compressed. I'm curious to try running it out of the 535 and into something else analog before going back into the computer. That way I could overload the 535 a bit while backing off what the computer's receiving on the input side, so I don't get digital clipping.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:27 pm

I don't know about the 535 but the 539 is the same line amp and transformer as the 1176. I've heard of people running condenser mics into the 1176 and right to tape. No pre, sometimes no gain reduction. Haven't tried it with the 539 but it does have a ton of gain for a line amp.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

I think it has plenty of gain for dynamic mics, even. I ordered some adapters so I can use the pigtails I made for it without having to unscrew anything, and be able to plug mics in. Once I get those I'll be trying that out.

I just consolidated a bunch of DAW drum tracks by running them through it, and it compressed them nicely. This was a good find! Literally... I found it on the street. If it can double as a mic pre, even better.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm

I have an 1176 clone I bought from someone here, and it's totally useable as a pre.

I haven't done that lately; thanx for the reminder!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 am

Feels good to post in this thread. I haven't bought any new gear in a long time...

Sytek MPX-4Aii (x2)
UA Apollo 16
sE VR1 ribbons (x2)
Beyer M88
D112
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 am

Kent WC-18 acoustic guitar sound hole pick up. Made by Teisco in the 60's. Kind of like the old, huge D'Armond. Sounds fantastic.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed May 03, 2017 2:57 pm

They're replacing all the gas lines in my neighborhood, which means sawing into the sidewalks to get to them. Which means (besides that it makes lots of noise and there are big trucks right outside my apartment all the time) is they go through lots of giant circular saw blades. And they were nice enough to let me have a couple (actually I could have had all they had, about a dozen, but two was plenty). One is about 30", almost exactly the same diameter as my chou gong, and the other is 36". I drilled a couple holes in each and put 'em on stands. They sound pretty good! Struck in the center, they have a bell-like tone, but a complex bell sound, like a church bell. Off-center, there's less fundamental, so they're more gong-like. At some point I'll have to clean and polish them a bit.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 03, 2017 3:14 pm

ubertar wrote:They're replacing all the gas lines in my neighborhood, which means sawing into the sidewalks to get to them. Which means (besides that it makes lots of noise and there are big trucks right outside my apartment all the time) is they go through lots of giant circular saw blades. And they were nice enough to let me have a couple (actually I could have had all they had, about a dozen, but two was plenty). One is about 30", almost exactly the same diameter as my chou gong, and the other is 36". I drilled a couple holes in each and put 'em on stands. They sound pretty good! Struck in the center, they have a bell-like tone, but a complex bell sound, like a church bell. Off-center, there's less fundamental, so they're more gong-like. At some point I'll have to clean and polish them a bit.

I'm jealous of this.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 03, 2017 3:18 pm

They should cut right thru the mix! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Bought a cuppla pedals lately;

Zoom MS 60B: could be good, but I really kinda hate digital, but some of the sounds are good and if I find the time to program it, it would be cool for, say, a cuppla modulation FX in one pedal-space on my board ...

Z Vex Super Duper 2 in 1: It's basically a double Super Hard On pedal - keep yer puns to yerselves!

4 x 20' Mic cables - Banjo Mart blow-out for US$13 for all 4.

I hadda Devi Ever Krackle coming, but it's two weeks overdue from Aussie-land and the seller stopped the comm - fookin' thieves appear to use the Ebog to get short-term loans. :x
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Just picked up a radial sixpack 500 series rack - the cool feature is that it has d-sub ins and outs - which means i can route my audio through it on the way to the summing box, getting a lot more use out of my outboard gear (which i really mostly have only used during tracking up till now!)

should be fun to play with....

Also bought a necklace reverb off ebay from a Hammond organ that i'm hoping to put to use as a outboard spring. the one in my A100 sounds so good that I had to try !
the new rules : there are no rules

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Fri May 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Was a few months ago, but my work was throwing out some "written off" 20' ProCo "Lifetime" Mic Cables - BNIB! I was able to snag 71 of them scot-free. Sticker price of like $70/ea (I'm sure they sell for a LOT less). Also got two dozen EV "311" Mic Clips and three nice camera tripod stands. Amazing what big corporations will gladly toss out just because it has been written off the books...

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat May 13, 2017 4:19 am

New speaker stands!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 13, 2017 9:20 am

Rec'd a refund from the Aussie thief re the Devi Ever pedal, so I bought a Zvex Box o' Rocks I hope to try this weekend. I went from having no Zvex to finding 3 under US$100 in the last cuppla monf's, really like 'em. The Super Duper 2in1 is terrific on bass into my recording amp (Ampeg BA 108), it ups the Ampegnessossity.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon May 15, 2017 12:47 pm

I've picked up the upgrade for Vienna ensemble pro 6, and am building a couple of z97 systems with thunderbolt to run with the old 8 core AMD. All will be running 32 gigs of ram and SSD drives. As I'm 65 now, I expect this will be the last systems I build. It's a long ways from the 286 and the midi precursor of cake I started with. At the moment, I'm concerned about loading windows 10 on the new machines, as I will need to get on line for hours for all the program downloads and upgrades, registration and the rest of the drill. I'm also running completely fanless on one of the Intel machines, and only one fan on a hyper 612 at very low speed. The AMD has a water cooler and 1200 watt faned power supply, but it rarely runs, and then at low speed. The fanless machine wi be the live tracking machine. I've upgraded to Komplete ultimate 11, and have other plugs I've purchased along the way. I also have 8 cores of UAD 2 and way to many plugs. It's taken a long time but I'm a pretty darned happy camper. I've learned a lot here, thanks to all.