RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Multiple 48v Phantom devices in recording chain...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeintime
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Multiple 48v Phantom devices in recording chain... Reply with quote

Although my tracking workstation is getting old, it works well just the way it is. I've build a post workstation to handle everything else.

I'd like to be able to track this way:

Mic > Bellari RP-220 > Aardvark Q10

I've never gotten my brain around the "Who is suppling the 48v in this chain?" question. I want to track vocals through the Bellari to get that tube sound ahead of the Aardvark.

Both devices are 48v capable and I'm not sure which device in this chain supplies the 48v.
I haven't tested it because I don't want to suffer from the law of unintended consequences. Something about letting the smoke out...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple 48v Phantom devices in recording chain... Reply with quote

Hi,

It is simple:

The device which connects directly to the microphone is the one to
supply the 48V for the microphone.

And no one else, in any case whatsoever.

Cheers
lifeintime
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple 48v Phantom devices in recording chain... Reply with quote

Thanks Nick!

The RP-220 has upgraded op amps and tubes and the clocks in the two Aardvarks are rock solid and produce a great stereo image - that's why I don't mess with that setup. It just works...

Igor was the designer of the Aardvarks and today he is known as "Antelope Audio".

Cheers!

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: