Bumping another board

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Bumping another board

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm

I just wanted to take a second and give a mention for Mike Senior's Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio board/forum. It's essentially two sections a place where people can download multitracks to practice mixing and a forum to post and critique mixes from said multitracks.

It's a pretty good resource that has a ton of songs from a lot of different genres that can be mixed. I've been out of the audio world for a while and it's been good to have a resource to try and keep active in mixing and listening.

The forum is ok. Not as good as the Tape Op forum and it has people who are absolute beginners to people who've been in the business for a while (like me, ha). It's fun to listen to other mixes and interpretations of songs. I think I've learned a lot in just having to mix something that someone else recorded and it helps to have something that doesn't have a deadline and you can try different things and get some feedback and different perspectives.

Anyway feel free to check it out. It has had some technical issues over the past few days but I think that has to do with all the latest internet crap that's happened over the past week. It may take a few days to get it's legs back but I just wanted to give it a bump to help get it back on its feet. It's all free though there is a Patreon if you find it a worthy resource.

Anyway. Hope this doesn't seem like Spam or anything. I just found it to be a pretty good place to practice mixing and also different enough from Tape Op to not be competition.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 19, 2017 12:42 pm

I do like that one.

I also liked mixoff.org, at least, I liked the concept, but it seems to be pretty dead.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri May 19, 2017 12:48 pm

I haven't checked out mixoff but will.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri May 19, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm dumb and forgot the link:
http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm