RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
let's talk about kick drum mics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
permanent hearing damage
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: let's talk about kick drum mics Reply with quote

curious about that Miktek. looks an awful lot like the Heil PR40, but that could be where the similarities end?

I really like the Heil for faster stuff, the e602 as well. They both just seem to lack low end heft (even if i boost the hell out of it with EQ with a Pultec boost/cut thing) that I want for slower or more mid tempo stuff/parts.

For tracking last week, I paired a Beta 91 with an RE20. The 602 felt a little anemic. Sending the Beta 52 back to Shure next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: let's talk about kick drum mics Reply with quote

permanent hearing damage wrote:
curious about that Miktek. looks an awful lot like the Heil PR40, but that could be where the similarities end?

I really like the Heil for faster stuff, the e602 as well. They both just seem to lack low end heft (even if i boost the hell out of it with EQ with a Pultec boost/cut thing) that I want for slower or more mid tempo stuff/parts.

For tracking last week, I paired a Beta 91 with an RE20. The 602 felt a little anemic. Sending the Beta 52 back to Shure next week.

with your 602 - do you have the original or the "II" version ?

My 602 (not the "II") doesn't lack lows but you definitely could say it sounds anemic in general compared to a more even response'd mic but it's in the mids where it self EQs appropriately for a modern kick sound..

the "II" version apparently has a "more aggressively sculpted EQ curve"

It's good to note in this thread when people say "their 602" they might be talking about completely different mics

602 original = 550 grams / 250 Ohms / HF boost +8, 2-15kHz / LF peak 80Hz / Cardioid (1 mV/Pa; 20 - 16,000 Hz

602 II = 318 grams / 350 Ohms / HF boost +16dB, 5.512kHz / LF peak 60Hz / Cardioid 0.9 mV/Pa; 20 - 16,000 Hz
Magnetic Services
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: let's talk about kick drum mics Reply with quote

Audio-Technica has a mic with dynamic and condenser elements in the same housing, and a special split cable that gives you outputs for each. The ATM250DE I believe. Must be an evolution of the ATM25?

Anyone tried it? Looks pretty nifty.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: let's talk about kick drum mics Reply with quote

no useie here though here's a shootout with it along side more common ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj7fBmeYsAA
permanent hearing damage
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: let's talk about kick drum mics Reply with quote

definitely a 602 II. I remember being surprised by how light it was when I first got it. It has wowed me a couple times, but not many.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: let's talk about kick drum mics Reply with quote

my 602 (first version) scoops the mids has good lows and click and sounds very punchy - in contrast with the RE-20 it reproduces a kick's fundamental much farther down - with those two mics it sounds like different drums - the RE-20 is much more natural sounding and is a better representation of reality when blended with the rest of the mics - the 602 gives more of a cartoon or caricature version of the drum

both great for different goals
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: