Simple Drum Programming with Komplete Kontrol and PT 11

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FuzzWah418
audio school

Simple Drum Programming with Komplete Kontrol and PT 11

Post by FuzzWah418 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a simple (and cheap) way to program drums in PT11 using the kit sounds in Komplete Select.

I'm guitar and a writer for my band, which is Zep/Sab heavy rock. I get pretty specific with drum ideas and I've always programmed drum parts for full songs, a bar at a time, sometimes quite a few bars, delineating intro, verse, chorus, outro, fills, blah blah blah.

In the 90s I used a Dr. Rhythm MkII, and when I started using PT in the 2000s I programmed all my drum stuff in Reason. The interface made sense to me, I could use it just like the Dr Rhythm II, program a whole song and spit out a stereo WAV for PT.

But my studio flooded in 2014 and I'm just getting back to it. (In the interim I would just verbalize drum beats into a mini recorder. Lots of fun.) My new set up is:

2010 MacPro w Yosemite
Digi003 Rack
ProTools 11

Unfortunately, there's no Reason with this set-up. I picked up a Komplete Kontrol keyboard and I'm dying to use the kit sounds, but I have no idea how to arrange my drum parts for use in ProTools. I wouldn't even know where to begin to make them right in PT. (I'm a guitar player. Math, computers, time, empathy--all of these things confuse me.)

I just need a simple way to arrange these parts and bring them into PT, and I don't wanna buy anything else. Is that a pipe dream? I asked about this at the Big Box Guitar store, and the guy tried to sell me the MASCHINE interface for another $599 or something.

I realize this is total Moron 101 stuff, but I am stuck. Any guidance would be much appreciated.