Pro Tools/ADAT question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
rusty_shackleford
audio school

Pro Tools/ADAT question

Post by rusty_shackleford » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:20 pm

I am new to this: I recently got Digi 002, am running Pro Tools 6.0.2 on a new iMac with Glyph Companion. I also have an Mbox, using it with an old iBook.
Some time ago, I brought the Glyph to a friend, who created an 8-track, 20-bit/48k ADAT template using his Digi 001, which we saved to the Glyph.
Now I want to convert all my ADAT tapes to Pro Tools files, using ADAT Optical into 002, saving all to Glyph. I made a copy of the 8-track ADAT template, and recorded one song to it, no problem.
The part I don't understand: All of my old Mbox/iBook sessions are saved to the Glyph, and all consist of a folder containing the pt file and additional folders with names such as Audio Files and Fades. Some also have a folder containing backup files. But when I saved the session recorded via ADAT Optical, all that shows up in the Glyph is the pt file itself, no folder, no 'audio files,' 'fades,' backup, etc. Am I doing something wrong, or can I continue to add tracks to these templates using the mic and line inputs on the 002? Is it okay if only the pt file is displayed with no additional folders?
Thanks

tommy
steve albini likes it

Re: Pro Tools/ADAT question

Post by tommy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:53 pm

your problem has nothing to do with the adat to protools transfer but rather in how you are saving your sessions. my guess is the problem lies somewhere in this template session you are using and the subsequent saving afterwards. try this. instead of using this session template, just go ahead and start a brand new session for every song. create 8 new tracks and select optical for your input, dump your adat tracks and save it to its own folder. next song start a brand new session follow the same steps and save it to it's own folder. each song with its' own folder is a good way to keep track of files. then you can put all of these individual folders into a master folder and call it Adat session blah blah blah or whatever. Also dont forget to name your tracks before you record which will automatically name your tracks what it should be named as opposed to audio .02 or whatever. hope this helps.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:06 am

Sounds like to me you're just monitoring the inputs of the adat and not actually recording them to your hard drive (into a PT session) seeing as there are no audio files, backup files, etc. in that folder.

Nozzler
ass engineer

Post by Nozzler » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:34 am

Adam's has the right idea. But if you are in protools one thing you can do is check your disk allocation. It's under the set-up menu in 5.1. It should be in the same place in PT6. Once your in there, it will tell you where your files are and you can set where you want the session to create and store your audio files folder. If you still can't seem to find the particular files for your ADAT session, you can also go to the audio region list and select the title bar "audio" at the top. Within that menu you'll find three different displays for your audio. One being destination aka. location. What i've gotten in the habit of is making a session for adat records and a session for digi analog records. Then make the session a stationary pad by getting info on the session icon and clicking on starionary pad. The next time you open your session it will ask if you want to update the session or make a new one with the template you've currently created. One other thing is make sure under disk allocation that you have round robin allocation for new tracks disengaged. This way you'll never have to pull your hair out. Well, you will but it won't be because of that.

cheers.