Domain Registration

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Domain Registration

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:44 pm

I was wondering how/who/how-much/how's-it-workin-out and all else about Domain registration....

any war stories?

reccomendation? How about hosting.
Last edited by DeafinONEear on Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Domain Registration

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:02 pm

I kinda got lucky...
My boss runs some big, huge, fast servers out of Dallas and he does all of my hosting needs. I know we can offer the service, but I don't know how much he'd charge and all of the server details.

I know you can get hosting for free at some places, but that will only work for non-commercial and small traffic sites.

If you wanna shoot an email to nick@loudcow.com, I'd be more than happy to see if we could host your site.

My sites that I've designed that we host:
staticassembly
Loud Cow Beta Site

We also host:
dirtyhelen
and
voice4net
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:04 pm

Oh, BTW, his business deals with integrating telephony systems with internet/computer systems, so his servers are already set up for data streaming and what not, so if you were to have a site that had streaming audio, we could do that.

As far as CGI scripts and what not, I have no idea as I'm still learning HTML and Javascript.
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:09 pm

thanks nick, but I fucked up... I actually meant domain registration--- my boss will be hosting the site.

I know it seems simple enough, but I am a COMPLETE noob to publishing on the web so I have no idea what to look/look out for.

How did you register?

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:46 pm

That, mo fraire (sp?), I have no idea. Good luck.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:20 pm

Go to http://www.networksolutions.com and type in the domain name you want. If it's available, you can purchase it for around $40/year (less per year if you register for >1 year at a time). If it's not available (i.e. someone else has it), the will suggest alternate names.

Good Luck!
-mark

knmy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by knmy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:58 pm

Use Godaddy... http://www.godaddy.com They are easy to deal with and registering a name for a year is only $8.95!!! I have used them with several names.

Later,
Ken
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:28 pm

Damn, I wish you had been looking earlier... I just registered with dotster.com for $14 a year.... not as bad as $35 though....

It actually turns out that my boss wont be able to host me so I was told about LaughingSquid which has a plan for 150M space, 8G traffic and 30M email storage with 15 mail accounts for $12 a month.... sound good to anyone?

The godaddy hosting is cheap, but I'll need more space than that.

Also, does anyone know how to host multiple domains under one account, or is this even possible? For example, if I want a seperate domain for my band, but already have an account for my studio, would I be able to host the other domain off of my original account and have the address bar still display the domain name of my band?

knmy

Post by knmy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:29 pm

I use Godaddy for domain registration only and I use ipowerweb for my hosting. http://www.ipowerweb.com/

Here is some info from their site, go take a look for even more:
Storage: 500 MB
POP3 Email Accounts / Web Based 300
Forwarding Accounts Unlimited
Autoresponder Unlimited
Transfer 30 GB
CGI-BIN

Additional Services
Additional Pop Accounts Free
Shopping Cart Free

Price per Package Business
3 Month Price - $30 Setup $9.95
6 Month Price - $30 Setup $8.95
12 Month Price (Free Setup) + Free Domain $7.95 *
24 Month Price (Free Setup) + Free Domain $6.95 *
* Special package discounts available only with full term payment.

Later,
Ken
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:44 pm

I use bulkregister.com for domain registration and DNS managment (domain forwarding, cloaking, email forwarding, etc.). Inexpensive and reliable.

I use ValueWeb (www.valueweb.net) for hosting. Also inexpensive and reliable, and big enough to deal with problems and customer service issues quickly.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:44 am

I have been with register.com which is like $35 a year, or cheaper for multiple years. I'm about to renew.

I'd like to switch to one of the cheaper providers, but I'm wondering:

I like register.com's automated account page (set your ip addresses, etc). Do the cheaper providers also have automated account-maintenance pages?

magnetictape
audio school graduate

Post by magnetictape » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:16 am

I register w/ joker.com ... pretty cheap at $7.59/year. they do have web-based account maintenance functionality, as would any registrar I've ever heard of.

alarmo

Post by alarmo » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:04 pm

DeafinONEear wrote:Damn, I wish you had been looking earlier... I just registered with dotster.com for $14 a year.... not as bad as $35 though....

It actually turns out that my boss wont be able to host me so I was told about LaughingSquid which has a plan for 150M space, 8G traffic and 30M email storage with 15 mail accounts for $12 a month.... sound good to anyone?

The godaddy hosting is cheap, but I'll need more space than that.

Also, does anyone know how to host multiple domains under one account, or is this even possible? For example, if I want a seperate domain for my band, but already have an account for my studio, would I be able to host the other domain off of my original account and have the address bar still display the domain name of my band?
Most hosting providers will have plans for multiple domains - they'll usually set it up to look like separate subdirectories under your shell account (if you have one) but the HTTP routing works out and you see the URL you want to.

BTW, I've used dotster for years and always had fine results dealing with them; they're who I recommend. Network Solutions have an absolutely horrible reputation (I've gotten screwed by them before, too).

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:28 am

Hey All,

This is kind of thread hijacking, so I'll just endorse godaddy as well. The cheapest solution out there right now.

I'd like to hear about other hosting services that people with mp3s have used, especially stuff that's cheaper than $75 a year.

Best,
--JES

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:28 pm

i haven't tried godaddy.com yet but they are cheap.

don't use network solutions, they're a rip-off!
i use directnic.com for everything.
their $15/yr with free redirecting, email forwarding, etc...

:mrpink: hillary