Help! I need a recording/rehearsal monthly rental in NYC.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Help! I need a recording/rehearsal monthly rental in NYC.

Post by linus » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:25 pm

Moved here to NYC ~ 2 months ago and am having a tough time finding a space to set up my hobby studio (think garage or basement studio). Not trying to start a buisness and do anything pro, just set up my guitar amps, keyboard stuff, recording gear and make noise. I'm in Manhattan but anything near a subway line (brooklyn, queens, long island) would be fine. I don't need a lot of space ~ 100 sq ft would be enough. I just need a secure (don't want to get robbed) convienient place to record.

I have found hourly rehearsal rentals and I've found people interested in sharing a space but no places I can rent alone. I need to be able to work on sounds for a few hours, leave and come back days later with everything left set up. I can't do that with a studio share.

Can anyone point me towards a place? (I've tried Craigs List to no avail...)

Thanks
Brian
212-683-2293
brianjbauhs@yahoo.com

linus
re-cappin' neve

Re: Help! I need a recording/rehearsal monthly rental in NY

Post by linus » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:47 pm

Is there noone that can offer any hints or advice? Anyone at all?

Bueller??? Bueller??? Bueller???

squinchy
studio intern

Post by squinchy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:47 pm

Hey,
I've been looking somewhat for the same thing, albeit more for a rehearsal situation...currently my band and myself share a 140 sq feet space with TERRIBLE soundproofing...total cost of space? $625/month. And I'm gathering we are *lucky* to have this...we share with three other bands so it winds up being cheap, but recording in there when the death metal band next door is blaring is SUCK.

you might post wanna something in the music section of here http://www.billburg.com/classifieds/index.cfm
or go to craigs list NYC and search for some raw real estate you can make some noise in! I would do this if I wasnt so lazy and complacent and poor.
good luck, I feel yr pain.
--squinch

erroneous
pluggin' in mics

Post by erroneous » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:39 am

I'm lookin for the same thing, preferably in the bronx or northern manhattan- i'm in an apartment with thin walls and old people all around, and i've never wanted to play loud so badly in my life. if you find an old garage or something and want to split rent, let me know.
..i've found something no one else is looking for..

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:16 am

So far I've found a 185 sq ft space that the owner advertised as 300 sq ft (and then refused to adjust the price) that had so much sawdust floating in the air (from the woodworking studio on the same floor) that it would ruin my equipment.

Last night I talked with someone who has a 95 sq ft space (less than 10x10) for $725 / month!!!! That is more per sq ft than the most expensive luxury apartment.

Can anyone lend a hand? Ask around and see what you can turn up.

Thanks

Brian
212-683-2293

erroneous
pluggin' in mics

Post by erroneous » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:11 am

awful. just awful. it's so damn expensive here.

meanwhile, my little brother in north carolina owns a lovely 2 bedroom, 2 story house with a large basement, a barn, a shed, a fruit orchard, a large garden, and, get this, a vineyard... and pays less than $500 a month mortgage.

on the other hand, he has to live in north carolina.
..i've found something no one else is looking for..

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:39 pm

I don't have a specific lead for you, but try the Sunset Park and Gowanus sections of Brooklyn if you have not done so. Lots of industrial space.
don gochenour

unclejimi

Post by unclejimi » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:06 am

Hey,
Its a tough gig finding a cool space in NYC. We are about to offer a share in one of our production suites that includes a day of recording time for each band per month in the main facility.
3 bands will share the space- 1 day recording at the studio- 750.00 per band. If you are a band looking to get some recording going and establish a relationship with a production staff its a pretty sweet deal.
Best of luck!
James
www.thresholdmusic.com