critique: you know the drill..

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

critique: you know the drill..

Post by radiantbrian » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:27 pm

if you are bored and feel like critiquing a recording go here:

www.mp3.com/one_dying_wish song: 'falling grey skies'

i demoed this in my basement about a month ago for a friend's 'emocore' band. i just want to see if the things i think are bad about the recording come accross obviously. i recorded it with a Boss BR-8, 4 condenser mics, a couple of 57s, and a Behringer mixer. see what you think.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Re: critique: you know the drill..

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:07 pm

I'd love to check this out for you, but I'm not willing to register on MP3.com to do it. Can you host it somewhere that doesn't require you to sign up for something?

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:51 pm

i always just make up an email address/name and it works no problem. i wish i could just host it on my own page, but i don't know how to do that sort of stuff..

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:49 am

i'd have to say, that do to the main vocalist (who we'll call screamy guy from here on out), the main vocals are just too quiet. teach him how to sing. it's coming from his throat not his gut. and maybe turn some of the lows down some, and bring his vocals up some too. definitely bring up the other guy's (who shall be called, quiet guy) vocals. but the lows definitely need some lowering. it over powers the guitars playing under it. that's all i can think of.

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:18 pm

As a creative song that they put together it rocks. This sounds to me what I would imagine them to sound like live. If that is true, then you captured their trues esences. You captured it well.

Other then that; and that kristopher612 said.

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:03 pm

i must admit i don't hear the 'too much bass' thing. i listened to similar style mp3s and they seemed to have a lot more low end punch compared to the ODW song. perhaps the bass that is there in the song is just too muddy?

i kinda agree about the vocals, but then again, that was the band's judgement call. they didn't want the vocals to stand out the way they would on, say, a Madonna album. my bigger concern is with the way the vocals are recorded but i won't get too involved here right now..

b