more rough mixes for you guys...

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: more rough mixes for you guys...

Post by cassembler » Tue May 27, 2003 4:10 pm

My only comment is that there is too much bass for my tastes. I personally think the drums are great, I love the natural drum-in-a-room sound. Maybe a *touch* more snare, bottom mic if you have it. Kick is good, guitars are good, but the bass is just too much. In fact, the vocals would probably be better off with less bass guitar as well.

Perhaps shelving out some of the sub 150 range and adding a touch of 3k(ish) would help it?

It might be nice to send the bass through a compressor and sidechain it with the kick to give the kick a little lift without having to turning it up...
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Fri May 30, 2003 6:40 am

DHV sounds good. I don't think I would have noticed the drum thing if others hadn't mentioned it, but yeah. Still, you get the idea of the song across, and it rocks. I like the quiet part at 2:10. Also the sustained growl on guitar is nice

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Post by drew w » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:32 am

for what it's worth...re: "darkened..."

good overall...i didn't hear an mp3 encoding problem...sounded pretty good in that respect. (unlike my own!) listened on headphones...cool break when the guitars pan wide and get bassy and the bass disappears then comes back in in the center.

agree the bass is a bit overwhelming...a bit underdefined...maybe try to bring out a touch of the sound of the strings/attack/articulation...did you di the bass?

i actually liked the drum sound...didn't find it problematic (maybe the snare as you already mentioned). i guess one person's "small room syndrome" is another person's "intimate" for lack of a better word. i did think the guitars could use a touch of bite to meld with the hi end in the cymbals...i thought the cymbals kind of jumped out a bit/sounded in their own world and the guitars in there own washy bzzzssshhhhhh world. i think this could be done without screwing up the guitar tones you already have going.

but that's just nitpicking...after 1 listen.
does the current version have any mastering/post production?
would like to hear it mastered whenever that happens.
thanks for posting...

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:37 am

GUYS! I made major tweakages. Songs are done, the mp3's in the link I initially posted are gone. New mixes will be up pending mastering which is scheduled for sometime early next week. can't wait. thanks for the critiques, they helped.
-bert

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Post by drew w » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:38 am

New mixes will be up pending mastering
Would it possible to hear the new mix pre and post mastering? I'd love to hear the difference.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:35 am

I have to ask my friend if he's cool with putting them up on his server if for no other reason than for you guys to hear it. I'm sure he'll be cool. We're done with the songs and mastering is scheduled for next friday!!
I love mastering.