Another "check out my crappy music" request

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Another "check out my crappy music" request

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:22 pm

[sarcasm]I was really going for that hyper-clean, immaculately-produced "St. Anger" vibe on these tracks.[/sarcasm]

Yeah, anyway...

Please do me a solid and let me know what you think of the production/vibe on a couple tracks. The style is hard rock, so if that's not your bag, maybe don't listen? Thanks much.

http://www.epiciv.com/music.php

j.johnston
audio school graduate

Re: Another "check out my crappy music" request

Post by j.johnston » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:47 am

I'm not into the style but I thought the production was good for the genre. It was pretty loud. At least 2 decibals louder than my masters are. But that is probably about perfect for the over the top compression that this genre calls for. The beginning of "my hell" is a great guitar sound but the heavy compression causes a percieved drop in volume when the rest of the instruments come in.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:04 am

Thanks, great feedback.

I'm a fairly novice engineer, so it's quite possible that I'm overcompressing. There's no compression at all on the guitar tracks, but I'm running the master buss thru the UAD-1 1176 plugin. Don't remember what settings I'm using, I'd have to go to the studio to look.

Volume? Yeah, it's loud. Like you said, it's what people expect for this genre. I was trying to match the output of some of the CD's I was using for reference during mixing.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I really appreciate it!

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:36 pm

I agree that there's a perceived volume drop at the open after the guitar and break. I'd take the (cool sounding) guitar down a couple notches on the opening bit, then let the song explode.

Singing is good, mix is good, nice use of effects on vocals in those little bits. Well done.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:41 am

The only thing I don't really like is the snare. I think a deeper snare would sound better. It sounds too poppy to me. But it does stand out in the mix. I think its a good job though.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:34 am

The only thing I don't really like is the snare. I think a deeper snare would sound better.
Really? Oh man, I love the snare sound. Come on, listen to the snare in the mellow parts of "Above as Down Below" where you can really hear it and tell me that doesn't sound good! :mrgreen:

OK, my personal preference aside, can you give me an example of the type of snare sound you're talking about?

Dan
audio school

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:12 am

had a listen to number 1 - and I am another who's genre this isn't - but I thought the production overall was pretty good! I have two things which struck me as not quite right - and not really any solid suggestion of how to fix them... the vocals are lost here and there because of the crossover of frequency with the guitars - I think a re-mix bearing this in mind might mean you take away a little in the low-mid eq to free up some room for the vocals? Or maybe it's just a levels thing? The other is that the bottom end seems a bit flat to me. I was expecting to hear a much stronger kick - to give the track the power it needs - maybe the drums are overcompressed? What monitors are you mixing with?

Anyway hope this is constructive for you - on the whole a good job - but I'd re-approach those two things to push it on a bit.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:27 am

the vocals are lost here and there because of the crossover of frequency with the guitars - I think a re-mix bearing this in mind might mean you take away a little in the low-mid eq to free up some room for the vocals?
Thanks, I'll look at that.
The other is that the bottom end seems a bit flat to me. I was expecting to hear a much stronger kick - to give the track the power it needs - maybe the drums are overcompressed? What monitors are you mixing with?
Event 20/20's. They kinda suck.

I had the kicks up in the mix more, and they sounded a little overpowering. I just haven't found a comfortable frequency space for them to live in.

Thanks for the excellent comments!