pd - Pure Data (like Max/MSP, but for the PC)

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
provide86
alignin' 24-trk

pd - Pure Data (like Max/MSP, but for the PC)

Post by provide86 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:43 am

is anyone here familiar with this programming language? it's being billed as the answer to Cycling '74's Max/MSP (used by the likes of Radiohead, Jim O'Rourke, Fennesz, essentially anyone involved in 'laptop music'), but for the PC as opposed to the Mac.

after reading the tutorials offered by the developer, i'm getting the hang of how the different functions work, but after doing some research on pd, it seems that programs are more common than tutorials or how-to guides. does this mean that it's unheard of to begin a program from scratch? is the main idea of the language to augment others' programs (or even the programs found in the tutorial) for your own purposes?

i know pd, like any other programming language out there, music-based or not, is a very open ended and powerful tool and that there are a myriad of ways of getting it to work. like any instrument, everyone has to find their own style. i'm just curious as to how everyone else normally starts out/goes about writing. Max/MSP users are welcome to add any input.

robotb3n
audio school graduate

Re: pd - Pure Data (like Max/MSP, but for the PC)

Post by robotb3n » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:37 am

when I was trying to figure it out I was trying to go through all the tutorials that come with it. If you go to the "help" section there was stuff there I thought. There are also extensive user groups I think which might be able to help if you have a specific question.

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Re: pd - Pure Data (like Max/MSP, but for the PC)

Post by soundhack » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:13 pm

i usually start with an idea of a patch i want to put together, then start sticking objects on the screen and patching them together. i connect the various parts of the patch to the sound output to see what sound in happening at each point, and look alot at the tutorials to see how to do things... i also use

you can program your own objects (externals) in c, but i wouldn't get into that until you explore the limits of the built-in objects.

the pd mailing list is pretty helpful, and since pd saves patches as simple text files, its easy to trade patches on the list.

PD-list@iem.at
http://iem.at/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pd-list