Got a Ghost?

soundcraft-usa
audio school

Got a Ghost?

Post by soundcraft-usa » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:35 pm

If you do, Soundcraft wants to know.

We're on the lookout for more studios to feature in our Ghost Stories ad campaign (done exclusively for Tape Op, we might add). So if you've got a Ghost or Ghost LE desk and have done some cool projects on it, drop us a note at ghoststories@harman.com.

Your 15 minutes of fame awaits...

Cheers!

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: Got a Ghost?

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:47 am

You should check out my friend's studio. www.chromasound.net

They have a Ghost and their studio kicks major ass. Very unique and tons of vibe.

I have a Soundcraft but it's from the 80's. Not too many ads featuring SC-6000's huh?

Shawn

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:43 pm

i have a Ghost 24LE, but i don't think my story is very publishable.
the control room pot makes super loud popping noises that induces mini
heart attacks. the aux 8 output has no signal. and aux 3-6 have just
developed a buzzy pulsing noise. the master output is sending
mismatched signal levels. i sent an email to the support address on
the site but never heard back from them. i do realize these things
weren't built to last forever, but it is still annoying.

all that being said, i still think the Ghost is a great console and
certainly the best in its price range. the routing flexibility is
excellent and it sounds great. if i had to, i would buy a Ghost again,
especially if all these issues get resolved smoothly.

i use the ghost in a home studio setting, primarily to record my own
band, which only like 3 people of heard of. so, not much of a
marketing angle there. i will say that good support from a company
will do more than any marketing campaign can.. i just sent in a mic
for repair to Shure and they sent me back a brand new replacement, no
questions asked. they have a loyal customer in me for life. know what
i mean?

ayan
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

RobertPhilbeck
audio school graduate

Post by RobertPhilbeck » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:33 pm

ion records wrote:i have a Ghost 24LE, but i don't think my story is very publishable.

i mean?

ayan

I'd like to see an explanantion as to why the hell Soundcraft doesn't respond to emails like this.

Soundcraft USA
audio school

Post by Soundcraft USA » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:25 am

Ayan,

You should e-mail me with your contact info and I'll have one of our techs give you a call to help troubleshoot the problems.

Regarding the Aux 8 output having no signal..Are you aware that Aux 8 send is post the Mix B Level Control (Typically the Rotary Fader). This is usually the most common explanation for complaints that Aux 8 doesn't work.

Guesses at other problems:

CR Monitor Pot: Probably bad pot... needs to be replaced

Aux 3-6 Buzzing: Possible Power Supply Issue? Not sure on this one

Mix Out Uneven- Could be Fader, or host of other things, but I would I also try exercising the Mix Insert Jacks by insert 1/4" plug in and out, and also make sure when evaluating that there's nothing patched in there. Use Oscillator on board to help determine amount of level mis-match (make sure that group faders are down or not assigned to mix).

In regards to support issues via e-mail typically I have found we're pretty good in replying to these, (i.e. Don't hear of that many complaints) but sometimes they may be misrouted or somehow slip through the cracks. Having said that I find that contacting a company by phone, even if you have to leave a message on voicemail typically generates a quicker response than e-mail (particularly to a generic mailbox) for most companies. I suppose software manufacturers are more e-mail oriented, so perhaps they're the exception to the rule.

Anyhow, email me at Tder@harman.com or call 603 964 2953 and I'll get you in touch with a tech to help troubleshoot. If you're not technically minded, you may need to get a local tech in to help.

Best Regards,

Tom

ion records wrote:i have a Ghost 24LE, but i don't think my story is very publishable.

i mean?

ayan
Tom Der
National Sales Manager
Soundcraft and Amek USA

aaronsternke
audio school graduate

Post by aaronsternke » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:05 pm

Hi there,
I worked at a cool little studio in Lakeside, Montana that has a 32-channel Ghost with a 24-channel extender. It's a sweet little studio, in a beautiful environment. I'm really close with the guys there, I'm sure they'd love to do an ad for you guys. The link is -- www.studio501online.com. I'm doing an album project out there in late July/early August this summer, if you wanted me to get any pictures or whatever.

Aaron Sternke

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:25 am

oh man...

I had a ghost and Oh, do I have only positive things to say about it and gee, Ive always wanted to be in an advertisement, that would be soooo cool. Id also like to sit in the studio audience for a television show...

I would really to enjoy extolling the tale of ordering a BRAND NEW ghost from soundcraft and being shipped a DEMO model and then having to ARGUE with harmon about why I didnt accept delivery and then having to wait a month and a half for another console to be shipped from england. That was a great experience.

I would love to talk about after having owned a ghost for only two years in a home studio, and being the ONLY engineer to operate it, how on a brand new console I had a list of things 15 items wrong that had broken which I had to fix before selling the console. And I only used it to monitor/mix, I cant think of what would have fallen apart had I REALLLY used the console.

I would like to shake the hand of the guy that designed the meter bridge, just when you thought a meter bridge could be logically designed and implemented, leave it to harmon to work their magic on that one.

Does it cost more money or something to make the screw holes 1/16" bigger so the screws will counter sink?

Are black anodized screws THAT much more expensive than the black painted screws that were on my console? Only took a few months to wear the paint off of those. I guess the rubbed off screw look is sorta like a built in vintage warmer kind of thing. cool.

I can understand having to use cheap pots, but man, that volume pot? It didnt last two years. I thank the lord I never used the headphone jack.

when I get to be in the ad, would it be ok to talk about the time that I sent a soundcraft console in for repair and cleaning and soundcraft LOST it at the premesis and then held me up for months while the in house insurance jerked me around while they "looked" for it? Actually, maybe I should just petition the insurance branch at harmon to see if they'd like to include that little anecdote for their marketing campaign.

The console did sound really good, records done on it are selling, and overall I really liked using it, but if there were any more corners cut on the design of that console youd be able to roll it across the floor end over end like a round catering table.

I dont mean to be a jerk, but harmon really caused me quite a bit of grief that no responsible company should ever cause their customers.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:10 am

soundguy wrote:I dont mean to be a jerk, but harmon really caused me quite a bit of grief that no responsible company should ever cause their customers.
so would you say they totally suck?

;)

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:38 am

Dave, no wonder you bought a Mackie. ;)

-mark

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:40 pm

I have to say that one of the studios in which I work owns a Ghost and although I thought about contacting the studio and having the owner and I pose for an ad, I just can't do it because of all the problems with the console. It's a fine console for the money, I suppose, but I'm hearing a lot of similar issues with these that I deal with on a semi-frequent basis. This particular console has a subgroup fader out and the master CR volume pot is terrible. Once you get it down to a semi-quiet listening level, the L-R balance gets completely shifted. A terrible crosstalk popped up in it recently that had some effect on my decision to mix the project on which I was working elsewhere. Apparently, a few other things have gone wrong with it in the past two weeks. I guess after hearing Dave's story I should give this studio owner a head's-up if he's considering sending it back. I'd like to hear some responses to Dave's comments, as well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:16 am

Soundcraft USA wrote:Regarding the Aux 8 output having no signal..Are you aware that Aux 8 send is post the Mix B Level Control (Typically the Rotary Fader). This is usually the most common explanation for complaints that Aux 8 doesn't work.
yes, turns out that was it. thanks. man, i should have RTFM. but i got to say, that is really counterintuitive. oh well, live and learn.

i replaced the CRM pot. that is fixed. and re-jiggering all the ribbons on the master board brought the mismatched master levels back to normal.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

aeser
audio school graduate

Post by aeser » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:03 pm

Soundcraft USA wrote: Anyhow, email me at Tder@harman.com or call 603 964 2953 and I'll get you in touch with a tech to help troubleshoot. If you're not technically minded, you may need to get a local tech in to help.
oh wow, you're right in new hampshire? me too (hudson, just outside nashua) and i was actually going to buy a 24 channel ghost this week as a matter of fact.