MIC REVIEWS

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

MIC REVIEWS

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 27, 2006 9:57 pm

Post your mic reviews here as a reference.

Thanks!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun May 28, 2006 1:36 pm

How about if we start with the original... :^:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=5652

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Sun May 28, 2006 10:20 pm

I REALLY want to check a pair of these out, anybody heard em?

http://www.studioreviews.com/vienna-hamburg.htm

xonlocust
tinnitus

audix OM5

Post by xonlocust » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:09 pm

while on tour, my rock band was having tons of trouble getting the bass players vocals to cut before feedback in the monitors. night after night we had the same unbeatable problem - the gtr players were arguing with the soudguys for more gain than they could give (not the soundguy's fault either most of the time, usually physical limitations of the system).

midway through the tour we picked up an OM5 and the difference has been night and day. i know there are other reviews around the net that cover it more throughly - but this mic has made a huge impact for live work. every venue we come to is excited when we pull the mic out and says they wish they had more of them. just as everyone else says, same source and PA, much more gain before feedback. completely worth the money if you find yourselves bartering with the soundguy for more vocals in the monitors. it makes their job easier and yours as well.

http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/audix-om5.html

the singers also get up on the mic more because it's thier own and hasn't been manhandled and spit into by hundreds of bands before us. for not THAT much more than a 58, i wonder why more regular touring singers don't own thier own mic. the bass player said she wishes she had done this years ago and it's been one of her best musical purchases to date. especially in the DIY world when you're dealing with a peavey powered head and 2 15" cabinets or whatever, the difference is significant. how many times have you heard "turn the vocals up" from someone - when the soundguy (or you if you are the soundguy) just can't push it anymore? now you can.

for studio use, i dunno. haven't had a chance to use it, but a lot of you are in bands too so i thought this would be useful. one of the best "non-sexy" gear upgrades for loud rock band use i've seen.

nick

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:32 am

Our singer uses the same mic live and we've had the same luck. Sound guys love it and it sounds amazing with his voice.

Night and day against a 57 or 58.

Rad mics for sure. I read somewhere that the live engineer for Radiohead uses them on guitars as well.

polyestr
audio school graduate

m-audio sputnik

Post by polyestr » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:09 am

Has anyone had a chance to use this mic yet? It is new and thusfar unreviewed. I like what I'm reading about it, but all available information at this time is pretty much directly from m-audio. I'd like to know if the sound is actually consistent with what m-audio claims.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Sputnik-main.html

poly

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:10 pm

I just ordered two of the little comrades... and naturally the delivery is "constrained" so it will be a month or so until they're delivered.

If even the factual stuff they say is true... evaporated gold diaphragm, 18 dbs of noise, three patterns... well then they should just leave the West behind.

I also like the concept of not equipping it with a substandard tube you'll wanna replace, but sealing in a good tube. Like... the way they put that dog in the spaceship...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Beyer M88TG

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:28 am

If you haven't tried a Beyer M88TG for stage vocals, or for other instruments, you owe it to yourself to do so. For vocals, is has a much louder, rounder and more booming tone than any Shure. It also doesn't have the sort-of biting presence-boost that a 58 has, so you may be able to add high-end at the desk, something that is often hard to do with a 58. Because of the M88's high output and tight cardioid pickup pattern, you get a lot more gain before feedback.

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Vocals_ ... e5ecfaa426

I use mine three M88 for live vocals, but that's not all they do. In the studio they get used for kick and toms. I've also had great success with them on electric guitars, on which they sound thicker and fatter than a 57. The M88 can handle VERY high SPL.

And recently, I was doing a live-in-the-studio recording of a cover band, so that the clubs could here exactly what they sound like live. I used a wedge monitor (no headphones), and the Beyers for vocal mics. Even though the thing was done totally live with no overdubs, it sounds CD-worthy. Most people who hear it think I'm using a studio condenser like a Neumann U87 on the lead vocal, but no...Beyer M88TG!

The M69 is even more famous and old-school, and still being made and used. It's just as good for live vocals and about $100 cheaper

eutopianaccident
audio school

Post by eutopianaccident » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 am

i am also curious about the M-Audio Sputnik (i am cynical, but hopeful)

and also about the opinions of you all about the Studio Projects C3, and/or their tube mics.

seems too good to be true and i should just go with the AT 4050 or similar, but it would be nice to balance the budget of the SP mics...
Advice for the Young at Heart

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:23 pm

The mics I've been raving about lately are the Shure KSM141s, sort of a sleeper mic. They're pretty neutral, realistic sounding mics, switchable between cardioid and omni. I've been using a pair as stereo omni room mics, XY overheads, stereo acoustic guitar (better for fingerpicking than strumming), on toms, snare, and stereo mic'ing vibraphone. They can handle a ton of volume and have made it pretty easy to get an accurate sound as compared to my LDCs and dynamics, which impart a bit more of their own stamp. The only other SDC's I've owned to compare with are Rode NT3 and Studio Projects C3 or C4s, neither of which were very good IMO.

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:04 pm

Kel HM-1 from Kel Audio

I picked up one of these when he first came out with it about 2 years ago with a big sale on them. This little mic is amazing and I have found it to work great on male vocals, electric guitar and lower string instruments like cello. It's got a bit of a darker sound to it but it comes across clean without getting muddy.

PIJN
audio school

Post by PIJN » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:12 am

weatherbox wrote:The mics I've been raving about lately are the Shure KSM141s, sort of a sleeper mic. They're pretty neutral, realistic sounding mics, switchable between cardioid and omni. I've been using a pair as stereo omni room mics, XY overheads, stereo acoustic guitar (better for fingerpicking than strumming), on toms, snare, and stereo mic'ing vibraphone. They can handle a ton of volume and have made it pretty easy to get an accurate sound as compared to my LDCs and dynamics, which impart a bit more of their own stamp. The only other SDC's I've owned to compare with are Rode NT3 and Studio Projects C3 or C4s, neither of which were very good IMO.
I agree about the pick/strum on acoustic. I had a heck of a time while positioning the 141 trying to unmush chords. Funny thing is, I finally stuck it at a 45 degree angle AT the soundhole, and the chords cleaned up alot.

Thats always been a no no in my book, but it worked for them, go figure.
They are a very very clean mic, almost too clean for some things, but a very nice crayon! :D

PIJN
audio school

Post by PIJN » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:39 pm

OK,

New sick mic alert.....the Joly Modded MK-011. Just tested it. AMAZING clarity and honest definition. Needs to be up close though. The output of this is a bit more than a C-1000, but way-y-y-y-y- better sounding.

I be digging it mucho. I love this mic. :D

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

AKG Perception 400

Post by Studio2roll » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:16 am

So last weekend I was on vacation in Connecticut. I brought along my new Sweetwater catalog to read in my downtime. In all the new toys I noticed AKG had a new switchable pattern condenser - the Perception 400 and I made a mental note that I should listen to one since the price wasn't bad ($299.)

The next morning my woman and I get up to go see the sights, and get on the wrong exit ramp. Ended up in a shopping center that she wanted to look around in, and lo and behold it has a Guitar Center!

I fended off about 7 hungry salesmen as I walked from the in door to pro-audio where on display they have a Perception 400, AND they put the wrong price in front of it - only $99 bucks! But being an idiot I said, hmm... even for $99 bucks I should listen to it before I buy it. So this little weasely guy comes over and gets it for me and plugs it in. And I'm testing it out with headphones on. Sounds great, I can hear every other salesmen in the room trying to push things on people. So clear I cringed at how realitic the bad advice was.

They go to ring me up for 99 bucks and the little guy notices the price mistake, but says he'll still give it to me because they honor their mistakes. Pro-audio manager comes back from his break (because I took too long playing with it) and decides to take over the sale and steal the commision from the little guy. He goes to ring it up, wants the real price and I say, "Hey your sign said 99 bucks, and thats what I'm gonna pay for it." Wouldn't give it to me, said "No can do, thats our best seller next to the 4040. But don't worry, I'll take care of you." Then he offers it to me for $275.
Thats taking care of me!? What the crap? My $200 discount just went to $25 because he was 5 minutes early! I decided to just fuck it and buy it at a later time. I told him, "sure, wrap it up and I'll be back in a few minutes, I just need to get cash", and I left.

The mic was pretty nice for it's real price though. I'll probably get it sooner or later. Nice clear high end from what I could tell, omni, figure 8, cardiod, roll off, and pad switches. On Omni you could literally hear everything in the room, and the gain on the preamp wasn't even to 10 o'clock. On cardiod the bass response picked up, but was nice and smooth. One would be nice for vox, but I could definatley see getting a pair for overheads or room mics.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

mic reviews

Post by vibesof20hz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Cascade microphones has the fat head ribbon mic. has anyone compared the fat head by cascade to the cheap ribbon mics that Nady released?

they are ribbons, they are dirty cheap, how do they compare with real ribbons like beyerdynamic and royer (which i know there is probably no way to compare, but still)

Are they worth getting?

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/casca ... 0HEAD.html

http://www.nady.com/rsm_mics_pg.html