When to read vs. do

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

When to read vs. do

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:53 am

So I've bought a few books over the years about recording - including the TapeOp books - and also keep reading some mags - including TO - and can do alla that on the commute, during work downtime, on the Thos. Crapper ...

But I recently (well, two months ago) bought a book with a included DVD what is supposed to learn ya about mixing with real-life examples and such, but I don't have time to read/use it because ...

... I'm too busy recording and mixing.

So, do I take some time off from doing it, to read about it?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:54 am

No.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Yep.

I mean, I agree, I reckon.

Ah well, another US$10 wasted (book was on sale).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:08 pm

I spent a bunch on ProTools books, and sorta tried to force myself to like it. I'm an electrical engineer with a live sound background, it was allegedly made to make sense to my type of person.

Eventually I said to hell with it, switched to REAPER, never looked back. Doing is way more fun, and I've achieved way more.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:28 pm

NVM.
Last edited by RoyMatthews on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:55 pm

I only read audio books in my specially made reading room with custom porcelain throne.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:18 pm

i find that every once in a while i am really hungry for some fresh input - that's when i'd reach for the book. in the meantime, bash your head against the wall :)
the new rules : there are no rules

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:05 pm

I've been reading about recording for 25+ years. I find inspiration and fresh ideas or methods I've forgotten about all the time.

My only suggestion is that if you find yourself in a rut, it's good to read to find inspiration.

If you're busy and killing it... well then, keep up the good work and write about what youre doing!

-Greg

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:43 pm

OK, I did some here, here. (Also sometimes on my blog, linked below).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 pm

I bought a book with my PT rig almost 3 years ago. It came with a DVD of "lesson" sessions. I never loaded any of the, and I use the book as a reference tool when needed. I thought I'd sit and read it, but I didn't. Its useful and I'm glad I have it, but that's that.

I would never stop working to "practice" the gig. I might try some stuff in the off hours, but honestly, in tho off hours I like to be OFF.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:22 am

Not a pro here, so I hadda change yer statement to fit me:

"I would never stop playing* to "practice" the gig. I try some stuff in the off hours, but honestly, in the off hours I need to be PLAYING."

Thanx, y'all! I no longer feel guilty about squandering the DVD/book - I'll get to it when I get to it.

*"playing" = writing, performing, recording music, with the occasional foray into indulging GAS and repairing the acquisitions
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:59 am

I'm constantly reading stuff. I can't get enough of it, whether I'm working a lot or not.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:36 am

Me, too - I'm always reading stuff, download shite to *.pdf and keep it on my tablet.

It's just the DVD thing was hanging me up ...

For example, I took today offa work and I just mixed a demo where the bassist added some cool keyboard horns.

Next, I have two bass tracks to do on songs where he wants some inspiration (we have our first jam - where the drummer meets the bassists for the first time! - this weekend).

Then, I have to fix a amp (Ampeg VT60) what keeps fading out - probably a tube issue.

So the DVD/book will hafta wait ...

... but I'll not feel guilty! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:09 pm

I pretty much devour stuff about people making things, music especially, whether I like the outcome or not. I'll quite often have a music doc on while I'm in the bath or washing up. There's always at least one thing that triggers a thought or an idea.

Books, less so these days, but maybe I'm just not hearing of anything that I want to read. Building my little studio last summer I read myself in circles about acoustics and materials, but it all worked out pretty well.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com