If u have some $ to play with, who do you hire? (mastering)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon May 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Hard to go wrong with them, if budget and schedule permits.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon May 23, 2016 4:24 pm

what about Greg Calbi?
the new rules : there are no rules

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 24, 2016 12:13 am

joninc wrote:what about Greg Calbi?
I was happy with the work he did for a couple of artists he mastered that I had engineered for. He does have that NY sound though, so probably not a one size fits all kind guy.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue May 24, 2016 3:52 pm

what is "that NY sound"?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed May 25, 2016 3:02 pm

joninc wrote:what is "that NY sound"?
LESS bottom, pushed midrange, somewhat dull top end.

Cheers

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm

could you cite a few examples?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 28, 2016 1:15 pm

joninc wrote:could you cite a few examples?
https://www.discogs.com/label/264060-Sterling-Sound

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:55 pm

I have done three records with John Golden, who has approached them all with a deft and transparent touch. He has also spent time on the phone with me during each explaining what he did, why he did it, listened to my ideas. Provided that the budget for my records can afford him, I will always go to John in the future. I have been very, very happy with his work and service and feel happy to see his name on our records when I look at them.

= Justin

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:59 am

Why not Roger Seibel at SAE?

Discog speaks for itself:
http://www.saemastering.com/RockPopAlternative.php

If I had the $$, I'd go straight there.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:19 pm

joninc wrote:what about Greg Calbi?
When budget is not an issue, that's totally who I would use. He's done three projects with which I've been involved and he's done a stellar job on all three. The guy's got a ridiculous track record of all kinds of styles so to suggest that he's got a sound is fairly ridiculous to me. Of all the guys at Sterling of the years, he's the one whose records I'm least able to identify as having come out of there. He's definitely expensive, but look at his freaking discography.

Gavin Lurrssen is someone who I have respected for a long time. His name came up recently in conjunction with a project I may be doing next year, so I may have a more personalized opinion when I finally get to work with him. But a few friends of mine have been using him since he worked for Doug Sax and the work he did on the Jellyfish instrumental records is UNBELIEVABLY GOOD.

I cannot say enough awesome things about Scott Craggs (morespaceecho). He's probably done fifty projects for me over the last ten years or so and I am always pleased with the results. I would put his work up against pretty much anybody and it would absolutely hold its own. I just sent him two full album projects today, actually.

I've had good results from a handful other totally respectable guys-- Bob Lansner in LA and Dave Harris at Studio B here in Charlotte being notable. Chris Blair at Abbey Road was absolutely amazing, but he died some time around 2005. I miss him. He was so freaking good and such a nice guy. Dave Collins is another guy with whom I would love to work, should the opportunity arise.

But yeah, Scott is out of this world!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 pm

late to this thread, but thanks for the kind words y'all. it is very much appreciated.
kslight wrote:
I passed on Scott's info but is a tough sell to them for reasons I already mentioned, as expected. I am not paying so I do not have final say in much, but if they will go with someone I recommend, even if a pricey big name, that's better than them picking someone that I do not think is a good fit, which they could just as easily do.

As it turns out, my manager knows Bob Ludwig personally and Gateway Mastering sounds like a good fit, if we are gonna go with a big name.
you can check out 40 songs i've mastered here, i'm happy to do a test master for free...but hey who can argue with Bob Ludwig! if the people with the checkbook don't mind paying 10-12 times as much as i charge, hey why not.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:late to this thread, but thanks for the kind words y'all. it is very much appreciated.
kslight wrote:
I passed on Scott's info but is a tough sell to them for reasons I already mentioned, as expected. I am not paying so I do not have final say in much, but if they will go with someone I recommend, even if a pricey big name, that's better than them picking someone that I do not think is a good fit, which they could just as easily do.

As it turns out, my manager knows Bob Ludwig personally and Gateway Mastering sounds like a good fit, if we are gonna go with a big name.
you can check out 40 songs i've mastered here, i'm happy to do a test master for free...but hey who can argue with Bob Ludwig! if the people with the checkbook don't mind paying 10-12 times as much as i charge, hey why not.
Thanks Scott, I haven't totally abandoned this thread. No disrespect intended, just not my checkbook... if you would be "down" for a test master I would be happy to discuss with the powers at be if they would consider you..I wouldn't feel great about you doing the work if they weren't going to take it seriously. The mixes are really close to final, but nothing has been submitted for mastering yet.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 pm

just send a mix on over when you have one ready.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:22 am

UPDATE: I just had Scott (morespaceecho) do a test track for an album project I'm working on. It's the first time he's done anything for me, and while I did give him a little bit of direction I told him I was mostly interested in him doing what HE thinks sounds good.

He knocked it out of the fucking park. Well done, man. We'll definitely be hiring you to do this album, and I'm sure I'll be sending you future projects as well. Totally impressed.