The roots of Roots Reggae...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

The roots of Roots Reggae...

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 pm

I am currently enjoying a 2016 two-CD release called "First Class Rock Steady." Lots of interesting proto-reggae from roughly '66-'68. Plenty of typical pop subjects and lovey-dovey content, but a few gems like "Dreader than Dread" by Honey Boy Martin and "Left with a Broken Heart" by The Paragons. It's interesting to hear the influences from the U.S. too; namely do-wop/vocal group harmony and even a good portion of straight-ahead jazz (a couple of wholesale rip-off riddims; 4/4 versions of Brubeck's "Take 5," note-for-note, renamed to presumably attempt to dodge lawsuits). Also, Lee Perry singing "I Am the Upsetter;" a rather portentious harbinger of things to come.

Highly recommended for the Reggae collector, or just anyone interested in Jamaican/Caribbean music and culture/history.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 pm

yeah man how you think jackie mittoo got the funk over there? the new orleans radio stations could be heard on the airwaves in jamaica (water travel for waves, brilliant) so dude was digging some meters and booker t and got his groove on.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 pm

I might be Captain Obvious, but a lot of very cool out of print stuff has been showing up on youtube. I've been listening to various reggae comps people have put together.

Also finding lots of Sun Ra music, which is very much appreciated. Search for "Sun Ra Solo Piano".

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Absolutely! If you're looking for the reggae stuff, search "roots reggae." Some very interesting mix-tapes with some unique things that I haven't heard before, and I've been listening/collecting since high school (I'm old).

Lots of great R&B, Do-Wop, Jazz, Blues, and many many 78's on YouTube too.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "