Tube Mic Reccomendations?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Tube Mic Reccomendations?

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 2:03 pm

Ive been thinking of dropping trow and getting another tube mic, Ive got a big record coming up and figure it would be ok to pull out one more stop on the "not fucking around anymore" pipe.

Anyone have any decent time on a BLUE Cactus? I have a dragonfly and a repro capsule for an AKG and both sound ridiculously huge, which is what Im after. Im a big fan of these mics, but its a lot of money to spend on a good reputation...

The neumann M149 is on my list, anyone ever have any success with one of these on a loud guitar cab? Ive only ever used it for vocals, no idea if it can take that kind of spl and sound pretty.

and speaking of, has anyone ever put a U67 on a guitar cab? Seems like it might be a bit fragile to go there...

any suggestions? Something dark, something that will work on guitars, something that isnt over $3k.

dave

markpar
george martin

Re: Tube Mic Reccomendations?

Post by markpar » Wed May 07, 2003 2:17 pm

I have a 149, but I'm too scared to put it on electric guitar. :)

It could probably handle the SPL, though. From Neumann's site (http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics/pr ... D=m149tube:

for K < 0,5 % - 120 dB
for K < 5 % - 136 dB

I have no idea what "K" is, though....

For me, I love a Royer R121 on a loud distorted guitar.

-mark

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 2:30 pm

Is there anything you dont like about the 149?

I love my 121, but I always need another mic with it on guitar cabs.

dave

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 07, 2003 2:32 pm

soundguy wrote:Is there anything you dont like about the 149?
The price. :D

I don't think it sounds good for male rock vocals. I like a U47-ish mic for male rock vox (I use a Lawson L47MP - great mic!)

-m

Professor

Post by Professor » Wed May 07, 2003 2:49 pm

I haven't tried the Blue mic, but they have certainly had some rave reviews. They tend to be a bit over-priced but I think that is why they have been so widely accepted at studios, funny thing about buying psychology. I own an RTT MKL101 mic with the big M-5 capsule on it that I picked up at a pawn shop for $550, new list was around 1200. It has a NOS Telefunken tube and Siemens transformer and sounds amazing. You can see them at the www.oktava.com site, and they also have their own site in russia but I can't remember the address, covers Lomo, RTT and old Oktava stuff.
As for Neumann, well if you get an M149 you won't ever need another tube mic. I just got an e-mail that Jag studios has one to sell (they posted their contact info here on the old site). My studio owns two U-67 mics that I just sent to Korby for cleaning, testing and their modifications and they are pretty fantastic if you can find them. Korby also makes their own 'reissue' of an Elam 251 but trying to get in touch them can be hellish.
On the cheaper side, I have always loved the Audio Technica AT-4060, and for the price of the Neumann, you could get a matched pair of 4060s. For the price range you are talking though, there are just so many. Blue, unfortunately has about the same build quality, consistency and sound of say an AT and AKG product, but they have inflated the prices to make them seem unattainable and therefore desirable - I'd listen to them real careful before throwing down for one.
Let us know what direction you deside to go.

-Jeremy

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 2:49 pm

I sorta dug the 149 on vocals. It is really expensive for what it is, I agree. what do you tend to use it on?

dave

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed May 07, 2003 3:16 pm

I used to have a 149 and used it on vocals and as a drum room mic; never on guitar (it was alwas a 57 or a 414).

Let me ask you this: are you looking specifically for a guitar cab mic or just a general purpose mic to round out a mic cabinet?
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 3:25 pm

I suppose guitars are the primary focus, but Im inclined to get somethign new so I can get a second one in the future without turning over rocks to find a second one only to have totally not match at all after 30 years of aging...

Ive got some c12a's which are cool, but kinda sucky on guitars. Smooth with a truncated top, the m149 sorta fits into that. I dont know, somethign about that mic, for a nuemann, it seems kinda cheepy.

As for BLUE, Im not *real* familiar with them, Ive only used the mics I own, but I am continually impressed with my dragonfly and would gladly purchase another if the need arose without thinking twice. I dont think I would compare it to an AT at all.

that new $200 at tube mic sounds pretty snappy though.

dave

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Wed May 07, 2003 3:29 pm

I like my Lawson L47 a lot. It kills every other mic I own in side by side comparisons for vocals, percussion and drums.

mark

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Wed May 07, 2003 3:33 pm

Korby Audio Tech just came out with Korby's Convertible, it's 4 heads (an Elam 251, a C-12, a U67M and a U47) all hot swappable. They are new mics and components are hand picked by Korby and hand wired. I think you can get one capsule starting at (list) $3,800. It's available thru Vintage King. You can then buy a different head when you have the cash for about a grand each. You can check it out at VK: http://www.vintageking.com >New Items > Korby.

s

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 4:08 pm

The korby sounds like a good idea, however its out of my price range and Im not going to do business with VK any time soon.

Ive heard a lot of good things about the lawson 47, but never actually heard one. It would be cool if there was a place you could go to hear all this stuff.

guitar center...

dave

nutone
pluggin' in mics

Post by nutone » Wed May 07, 2003 4:08 pm

Soundelux u95s!!! I sold my 149 to buy a second one. The 149 is a much "bigger" and more "open" sounding mic, but the Soundelux has character and is much more forgiving. very similar to a well maintained u47 but with a bit more top. btw, the 149 will do alright on a guitar cab, but you will have to pad the hell out of the output (probably 40db or so) i used mine on kick drum all the time.

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Wed May 07, 2003 4:43 pm

I would love to have a 149! From what I have heard they are much more flexable than the 147.

jason

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 07, 2003 4:44 pm

The Groove Tube GT66 is a decent affordable tube mic for around $399. Certainly has that new 12AX7 sound that so many pieces under $1000 have. For an ultimate recording mic with great top end clarity, consider picking up a used East German Neumann CMV563 with M7, M8S and M55K capsules. The M7 is a real charm. It was used alot on Grant Lee Buffalo's 'Mighty Joe Moon' on acoustic guitars and Grant's vocal as well as being combined with 4 other mikes on Paul's piano- particular highlight tracks "Mockingbirds" and "Side by Side". It was also the vocal mike used on Scott Weiland's "Barbarella".

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 07, 2003 9:09 pm

jspartz wrote:I would love to have a 149! From what I have heard they are much more flexable than the 147.

jason
Definitely. Of course, it's about twice as expensive, too. I tried a 147 and liked it until I heard the 149. Really, really open.