Drummer available in Houston

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Drummer available in Houston

Post by wing » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:26 pm

My name is Jonathan Wing. I'm available in the Houston area for drums/percussion. I have practically 18 years experience in rockin the drums, love/can do all styles, and am constantly inventing new creative rhythms that go outside the standard basic drum beat norm (though i can do that just as well). I have influences ranging from Art Blakey, Jimmy Chamberlain (definitely a favorite!), Colm O'Ciosoig (MBV), Simone Pace (blonde redhead), Budgie (siouxsie & the banshees), Jason Hammel (mates of state), Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Roger Taylor (queen), Louie Bellson, Chris Frantz (talking heads, tom tom club), and a few others... Though, I don't really follow other drummers, I just do what I want and what sounds good to me. I think the best thing one can ever do is follow after and invent their own style and what not, and never stick to particular genres. As I said I love all styles and am capable of any of them. Also able to play percussion keyboards, any percussion instruments (anything from bongos to timpanis), as well as drum machines & samplers which I can surely sequence a really fresh beat.

Right now I have an old Sonor Phonics Mahogony kit, 7 piece. Mostly sabian cymbals. The kit is real bassy and real warm. Though now it's my preference to minimalize, and I feel more comfortable actually with 3-4 pieces and 2-3 cymbals. Soon I hope to invest in a classic jazz kit that is much smaller and easy to carry around. I also have a Sonor Force 1000 kit stored away in the closet, which is a basic entry level Sonor. And I also have various percussion instruments, bongos & timbales among other things.

check the email link in my profile or in the buttons below (not written out to avoid spam and bots). I haven't really had the chance to do this on a professional level, so rates would be negotiable according to what is right and fair to you.

Thanks!

dan-the-man
audio school

Re: Drummer available in Houston

Post by dan-the-man » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:29 pm

I'm also a drummer in Houston.

I've been playing for about 15+ years, and have been doing recording sessions since 1997 (even though I've done some demo 4-track stuff all the way back to 1993).

My influences range from John Bonham, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, Al Jackson (Stax), Sandy Nelson and others ...

I have 2 drum kits, both Pearl. One set is a 1987 Export, sizes are 12" tom, 13" tom, 16" floor, 18" floor and 22" bass drum. The other Pearl kit is a 2000 Prestige Session Select, sizes are 10" tom, 12" tom, 14" tom, 16" tom and 22" bass drum. I have 4 snares I use and they are, Pearl 14"x6.5" steel shell; 14"x5" steel shell; Pearl 12"x7" Maple shell and a Fibes Crystalite 12"x7".

I use Zildjian cymbals; 14" K Dark Custom / A. Mastersound hi-hats, 15" A Thin crash; 18" A Med crash, 19" A Custom crash and a 20" Edge Solid Rock ride. I also have a 20" Paiste Colorsound "Blue" 5 ride (that I do use from time to time in the studio).

I also play other various instruments which include the guitar (lead and rhythm), bass guitar, mandolin, resontaor, lap steel, dulcimer and the various percussion items.

My website is in my profile.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:12 am

BUMP

(sorry... don't mean to be a bastard, just need the work!!)

I have a classic 60's Gretsch round badge right now, easy to carry and sounds BEAUTIFUL. keep me in mind!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:06 pm

It's too bad you're not in Minneapolis.... feel like braving the cold?

rawlingskirk
audio school graduate

Post by rawlingskirk » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:10 am

I have a band in memphis called the Organ Thief. our drummer is half assed. its a damn shame that you don't live closer. we have it all except a great drummer. so move! do it! don't think about it! just pack up and move to memphis! don't question anything. just go!!!!!!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:17 am

kayagum wrote:It's too bad you're not in Minneapolis.... feel like braving the cold?
if you need me in the studio, sure, i'll do it, so long as you pay for the trip costs!