Amp that goes both ways

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
thrdgll
pluggin' in mics

Amp that goes both ways

Post by thrdgll » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:22 pm

Hey, guys! I'm brand new here, so forgive me if this topic has been worked over already. I'm a no-budget home recording hobbyist with very little technical knowledge. I'm looking to get a cheap amp that will give me a fairly decent recorded sound for both bass and guitar. My gear comes mostly from pawn shops and scrap heaps, so I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to keep an eye out for.

thanks!

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Re: Amp that goes both ways

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:37 pm

Vox Pathfinder. Best deal ever. Do a search on the tapeop search. Its pretty cool.

Justin

clamp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clamp » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:55 pm

I've worked in new and used music retail for 7 and half years and have recorded many a bass and guitar track. Here's my non-profit advice.

For bass: If you're pawn savy keep your eye out for any solid-state with a 15" speaker: brands Ampeg, Crate, Kustom, Peavey, Sunn, Fender (BXR Models), Yamaha, etc. Try any freak brand they'll let you and jugde with the ears (I just bought an ELK guitar amp).

For guitar: Lately all my guitar recording has been direct. Not through modelers but cheap Crate tube preamps and expensive Peavey compressors. Keep your eye out for old Sovteks (Mig 50 heads) and Ampeg (Vintage 30 loaded) cabs.

To simplify: Buy a Roland JC-120 and mic it.

My overall message is buy two great cheap amps but if you require an amp to cover your ass buy a JC-120.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:08 am

Bass records great through a Princeton (tho not too cheap...hmmm.)

Maybe a Champ?

Does size/power matter here?

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

thrdgll
pluggin' in mics

Post by thrdgll » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:45 pm

"Does size/power matter here? "

Not really. I doubt I'll ever use it live, I just need a decent sound for recording in a very small room. I'm not as picky as most about recording quality, but all I have at the moment is a half-broken Marshall Lead Combo (Salvation Army special!) and trying to tweak an acceptable bass sound out of it is pretty much impossible. It doesn't help that my bass is acoustic (Unplugged style, not standup), and prone to pick up fret and pick noise. I want to ditch the broken Marshall and get something to cover all the bases, if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions!

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:38 pm

To simplify: Buy a Roland JC-120 and mic it.
Dude, are you kidding? The guy's on a budget! Besides, the JC120 is a one-trick pony.

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

ajmogis
studio intern

Post by ajmogis » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:07 pm

Fender Champ

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:26 pm

Music Man HD 130 has served me well for both gtr and bass, though it is rarely my first choice for either.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:14 pm

amp that goes both ways? i'd look for one with a huge trannie in it.

OOOOH.

i'm here all week.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:30 pm

Another voice for the Fender Champ (make sure it's one of the tube champs). I love that amp.

It is quite possibly the perfect recording amp, even though it is not as cheap as a Crate or whatever, it will probably not lose its value. So if you want to sell it later, you will get your money back-- free rental!

Quiet, it can sound like the perfect clean tube amp (bass or guitar), crank it and you have sweet distortion. You can even borrow a 15 in. 4 ohm speaker and bypass its 8 in. speaker and get even better bass tone.

An amp truly deserving of its name.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

SLAG
gettin' sounds

Post by SLAG » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:01 pm

aurelialuz wrote:amp that goes both ways? i'd look for one with a huge trannie in it.

OOOOH.

i'm here all week.

alex
Wouldn't it be Bi-amped? A trannie would be a bass amp that was modded to a guitar amp (and has a huge adams apple).

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:11 pm

SLAG wrote: Wouldn't it be Bi-amped? A trannie would be a bass amp that was modded to a guitar amp (and has a huge adams apple).
oh, good point. and there's got to be a zvex super hard on pedal (two outs, you know) involved in there somewhere...

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:15 pm

thrdgll wrote:"Does size/power matter here? "

Not really. I doubt I'll ever use it live, I just need a decent sound for recording in a very small room. I'm not as picky as most about recording quality, but all I have at the moment is a half-broken Marshall Lead Combo (Salvation Army special!) and trying to tweak an acceptable bass sound out of it is pretty much impossible. It doesn't help that my bass is acoustic (Unplugged style, not standup), and prone to pick up fret and pick noise. I want to ditch the broken Marshall and get something to cover all the bases, if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Dude- save yourself the trouble and just get a SansAmp Bass Driver and record direct. Your acoustic bass should sound fine through that, and you'll be surprised how well your electric guitars will sound through it (it will sound like a clean Fender bassman. Add pedals to taste). $150, and you'll have a solution that many pro studios use.

If your acoustic bass has a passive pickup (which sounds like a possibility given your complaints of fret and pick noise), definitely get a preamp. If you don't want to go that route- just pick up a Mexi P-Bass.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:35 pm

I say a CHAMP too, but the silver face one-
I put an eminence speaker in mine and it the go to amp everytime for rock. i love it

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:12 pm

I have a champ and a vox; I haven't run the champ through a 15, but now that you guys are talking about it I'm really excited to. Both of these amps are awesome for guitar and relatively cheap (the Vox espcieally cheap), and if people are excited about the Champ doing bass duties then I say go for it.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?