guitar cab mic???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jjnelson
audio school graduate

guitar cab mic???

Post by jjnelson » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:02 am

Im looking for a pair of guitar cab mics to be used primarily for live sound, yet still have a place in a studio. If at all possiable I would like to not get the standard 57's... Any suggestions... Im looking for something that wont break the bank also...

thanks...

JJ

Al
moves faders with mind

Re: guitar cab mic???

Post by Al » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:02 am

Dont know why a lot of people on this site have such a downer on 57's!!. Best thing for the job!!..
Senheiser do one"cant remember the model number",but it has a flat square shaped head,with a gold coloured mesh! a lot of people think it has a bit more bottom end than the 57,but i'm not so sure about it??. There pretty good. No idea of price,but would hazard a guess at them not being cheap.

57 all the way for me,sometimes a combination with that and condenser is cool.

Al

mrhawkinson
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mrhawkinson » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:16 am

Sennheiser E609 is the mic Al's thinking of. Their MD421 is also good for electric guitar.

For clean electric guitar I love the Audix D2 and it does double duty on toms. Not my favorite mic for distorted guitar, though.

-p

ciminosound

Post by ciminosound » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:30 am

I did a live show in a small club for a Sennheiser endorsee. He brought a lot of his own mics. He had the e609 for his Boogie. I was so impressed by the accuracy of the tone I bought two of them. To me the 57s (I have plenty) and 421s (I have two) just don't stack up. It seems you have to EQ the piss out of them to even get close to the sound of the cab. The e609 required almost no EQ to sound like the amp sounded when you were standing in front of it. It may have something to do with the way the capsule is mounted. I used a Rode once, can't remember the model, that was a side address dynamic. Had similar positive results. The e609 lists at $199 I believe......

A ribbon is on my list too. A lot more $$ for a good one....
Last edited by ciminosound on Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:31 am

Mrhawkinson, what are these Audix mic's like?.
I'm in Scotland and i've obviously never had the chance to hear or see them used in the u.k.,as they are a U.S. manufacturer right?

I would seriously consider getting some imported,if there that good,i've heard a lot of people on this site rave about them,always curious to try something different.

Maybe that's why folk get bored with the 57's,if these guys are all they are cracked up to be.

I would never stop using 57's though,i think they rock!

Al

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:31 am

lately it depends on the track/function...for nutso loud guitar i've been diggin the SM7 for basics and 421 for seconds/leads. For more under control stuff the Coles is always rad. the combo of a 57 up front and a ATM25 in the back is great one for open back combos.

edit: duh - next time i'll read the question - didn't read the live part. whoo whoo whoo...

Mike
Last edited by bigtoe on Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:39 am

And thanks for refreshing my mind guys"E609" that's the chap!!. That dude is right!!,you put these things on a guitar cab,and the sound is killer without added e,q!.

More to life than the 57 of course, just a tried and tested mic,and always a good one to have in your mic collection though!

Al

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:20 am

Musician's Fiend has the e609 for $99.00 here.

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:02 am

yes audix is a US mic manufacturer. i like the D series; i have one each of the D1, D2, D3, and D4- they are great for drums but have other uses as well- such as electric guitar and bass. very solidly constructed and compact as well, which can make them convenient. haven't tried the new D6.

also, the senn e609 for $99 is some "updated" version of the e609 that is supposed to be sonically nearer to the old e409, which now goes for big bux.

ed

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:22 am

Thanks ed!
I'll need to look into these mic's.

As far as the Senheiser mic's are concerned,i may have used an older model,like i said the one i used had a gold coloured mesh,and sounded amazing on guitar cabs!!

mrhawkinson

Post by mrhawkinson » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:51 am

Al wrote:Mrhawkinson, what are these Audix mic's like?.
I'm in Scotland and i've obviously never had the chance to hear or see them used in the u.k.,as they are a U.S. manufacturer right?
Yep, they're made in Oregon in the USA. The construction is really good -- I've been using a D2 constantly for two years and it still looks brand new. I also like some of the little details like how the thread adapter in the clip is made of metal instead of plastic -- makes the Sennheisers look cheap.

They are plentiful in the USA and you could probably buy some on Ebay at a price that would still be worth importing to Scotland. I bought my D2 on Ebay for a little under US $100.

-p

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:05 am

Thanks for the info mrhawkinson!!

Cheers
Al

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:00 am

I like an SM-7 or M-88 as alternatives to an SM-57. Also a condensor mic will do the trick for some. I have had luck with the 4050 and baby bottle for different things. The 421 and RE-20 are good as well.

jason

Sicily
pluggin' in mics

Sennheiser e609/Sennheiser e609 Sliver

Post by Sicily » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:07 am

Looks like these are two different beasts, with two different price tags...

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/prod ... dindex.htm

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/prod ... dindex.htm

The $100 model is the e609 Silver.

Sicily
pluggin' in mics

Oops...

Post by Sicily » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:09 am

Sorry about the double link! :?