Food Zone Topic: Chipotle

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Food Zone Topic: Chipotle

Post by cassembler » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:03 pm

Anyone been to one of these? I'm so freakin' addicted, it's not even funny. The closest one to my workplace is a 30 minute drive, and I STILL make the trip three times a week for lunch....

The secret: 3 soft tacos, grilled peppers, barbacoa (shreded beef), hot sauce (very hot), cheese, and lettuce... yum yum yum...
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

DUC
buyin' a studio

Re: Food Zone Topic: Chipotle

Post by DUC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:17 pm

I know it's not authentic, but crispy tacos are the way to go.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:40 pm

are you referring to the chain store? ahahh when i lived in lawrence, one popped up on mass street, and with it being a corporate eatery, we tried our best to score free burritos.. the best was when downtown lawrence had its annual sidewalk sale weekend. My friends printed up hundreds of "free Burrito" coupons that looked really legit and handed them all out in a matter of an hour to the masses that came downtown for the sales... at first the store was refusing, but after a hundred or so people were coming to the store with coupon in hand, Demanding their free burrito, they started accepting them HHAHAHA. so a lot of people got free burritos that day. The store had people out in the crowd looking for us, while we lounged on the porch swing, laughing.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:45 pm

Duc wrote:I know it's not authentic, but crispy tacos are the way to go.
In San Antonio they have "puffy tacos."
*drools*

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:39 pm

cassembler wrote: barbacoa (shreded beef)...
That Barbacoa rules. I'd never really experienced that stuff until last year when the Mexican bakery around the corner started doing take out. Sadly, they changed their hours and I'm never around when they're open.

They'd do Barbacoa tamales too...damn.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:50 pm

I just gotta say, even though this place is like $6.50, I'll never eat at Taco Bell or Bueno again!... well, not anytime soon at least.
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:06 pm

>In San Antonio they have "puffy tacos."

There's this place in Houston called 100% Tachitos (spelling?), and it has these authentic Mexican "puffy tacos" that are really small, really cheap, really hot, and amazingly tasty. They have french bread Tortas, that are spicy brisket sandwiched with avocado and other shit.

Anyway... they have 3 TVs with the MTV spanish version playing and it's so fucking funny.

Pretty hip and cheap. It's off of the southside of 59 if bluepxl is interested. West of Kirby.

Rec Head
studio intern

Post by Rec Head » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:59 pm

I heard that Ronald McDonald owns Chipotle. Good diversification plan.

In new mexico besides having the laziest-fucking-never-get-anything-done-people in the world we have green chile which is awesome. Everybody seems pretty nuts about it.

And since this is the off topic. Is everybody in the southwest so frustrating to work with? I spent weeks explaining to people that they were about to fuck up my livelyhood and they would be sooo sypmathetic and nice. Then I would leave and they would forget everything. The only way to get anything done was to go to the office everyday and push things along. I lost 2 weeks pay and a couple hundred bucks out of pocket due to this.

But yeah, green chile rocks.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:49 am

Duc wrote:>In San Antonio they have "puffy tacos."

There's this place in Houston called 100% Tachitos (spelling?), and it has these authentic Mexican "puffy tacos" that are really small, really cheap, really hot, and amazingly tasty. They have french bread Tortas, that are spicy brisket sandwiched with avocado and other shit.

Anyway... they have 3 TVs with the MTV spanish version playing and it's so fucking funny.

Pretty hip and cheap. It's off of the southside of 59 if bluepxl is interested. West of Kirby.
hehe thanks, i definitely will have to check that out. i love trying new restaurants. have you got any other restaurant suggestions? if you like korean, i suggest finding korea gardens... umm.. somewhere in the memorial area. heh. i dunno, look it up ;) sorry i suck at that.

by the way, have you ever been to "freebirds!" or something like that? it's this chain kinda like chipotle, but in my opinion better. bigger and better ingredients. AND the whole place looks cool, it's covered with foil and people make foil art and hang it on the wall. pretty neat.

is it just me, or do a lot of people seem to pronounce chipotle as chipolte? i know so many people who for some reason say the L first! i'm like HELLO... can you read?!

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:42 am

Yeah, their's a good Korean restaurant in the Sharpstown area. Kinda' expensive, though. I like Japon in the Rice Village. Cute n' small sushi bar. I've been to that place Freebirds. It's a bit expensive for a fucking burrito... am I'm really really really skinny, so I don't gorge on food. In Montrose there's this really good restaurant that has veggie dishes (I'm not a vegan) that actually taste great, and the margarite pizzas at Empire Cafe, mmm. Or Star Pizza, but everyone knows that. We should hang out some time. You can see how much of a loser I am.

doyoudigworms?
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by doyoudigworms? » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:09 pm

Ive never heard of Chipotle? I bet their burritos are just like McDonalds apple pies...

I can't even pronounce Chipopletttle.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:24 pm

I pronounce it Texan: chu-POT-el
I've also heard (for the fucks that try to be all sophisticated): chu-POT-LAY

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:06 pm

I would go to some mexican places with my friends from Spain (not mexico) and they couldn't pronounce it either.

Freebirds and...
Ive never heard of Chipotle? I bet their burritos are just like McDonalds apple pies...
are quite the upidy establishment for lunch. Like going to Beck's Prime. I like to go, but probably once every 6 months. Chewy's, you know that one bluepxl, they're texmex I guess.

The better the restaurant the better the chicks, up to a certain point, then they start to be snotty. Is that off topic?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:33 pm

yea, chewy's is quite good. i love star pizza too. have you ever been to niko niko's? that place totally rocks for greek food. i think it's off montrose.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:59 pm

I tend to shy away from greek food. Don't they put allot of onions in their gyros? YUK