Monitor Suggestions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
matt250321
pluggin' in mics

Monitor Suggestions

Post by matt250321 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:09 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, so bare with me. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a relatively cheap pair of active monitors. Maybe in the range of 200 to 300 bucks? I don't need anything fancy just a decent pair for some home recording. Right now I am running Sonar 3 with a tascam US-428 interface. Right now all i am monitoring with are my crappy computer speakers, so anything will be a huge upgrade. Any help or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Monitor Suggestions

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:14 pm

Best bang for the buck are the Event TR8N monitors. Around $499 for the pair at GC or ebay. There is nothing worth owning in the small desktop powered monitor domain in the price range you suggest.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:14 am

Except maybe the Wharfedale Pro Diamond 8.2 Actives... If they're half as good as the original Diamond 8.2's, they're easily worth twice the price (of around $300).

That being said, I haven't tried the actives yet - Wharfedale apporoached me about them about a year ago, but I was "a little busy" at the time for testing speakers. People I know that HAVE tried them (A) bought them, and (B) are thrilled with them. So, I can only assume that the Wharfie guys weren't pulling my leg when they told me they made an active (and SHIELDED!!!) Diamond that sounded as good as the originals...

If you can dig up a pair, you should try them.

YMMV...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:48 am

If I were you, for now at least, learn thoes crappy speakers to the ebst of your ability, and save up till at least $4-500..its much better to save and buy the better stuff usually, instead of cheaping out..especially when your recording
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

matt250321
pluggin' in mics

Post by matt250321 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:16 am

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna start looking around at those wharfedales and Events. WHo knows, I might save up a little more. The only thing is I really want to save up for the tascam FW 1884 which is a beauty... who knows. Thanks a lot.

pugwawa
pluggin' in mics

Post by pugwawa » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:00 am

I second the Event TR8Ns....they are made in USA...how can you beat that price, they are'nt quite as clear as some monitors but once you adjust to them they are hard to beat for that much money.

Wafflehouse-dales are made in China. They are pretty cheap though. But they are'nt exactly known for pro audio...more for home stereo systems I believe.

I personaly use Event Studio Precision 8's & KRK V6's...worth it if you can afford both.

ok...i'll shut up now.

:roll:
"MTV is to music as KFC is to chickens"
www.chiwawaworld.com

dejacky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dejacky » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:17 pm

I was in a similar situation and basically set the Dynaudio BM6A monitors as my first REAL monitor pair when I have enough money..which is never hehe.
-dejacky

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:36 am

Event TR8N's hands down.

You can't beat 'em for the money.

dejacky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dejacky » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:17 am

wouldn't you rather save money than be subjected to the Event's ear fatigue?
-dejacky

mcblum
audio school

Post by mcblum » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:19 pm

I know many will disagree, but I have a pair of Behringer Truths that I bought as my first pair of monitors that have served me well for the $300 I paid on Ebay. They have a harsh top end, lack bass, and don't have exceptionally good clarity in the mid range, however once learned you can do a decent mix that will translate (you have to work on it). It's a good idea to tune the treble down -2 or -4db. They're worth a look I think, but I'm using Genelec's now, so I don't use them much anymore. :P

ThorAndersen
pluggin' in mics

Post by ThorAndersen » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:41 am

I've got a pair of Truth B2031's sitting here on my computer desk.. and under my music I can hear the radio blaring and static. Ugh.
Other than that I think they do sound good. I don't think they really lack bass either, but that might just be my room.
One thing that I read in a review about them that I'm starting to notice is the ear fatigue. These are a lot of speaker for $299. They're pretty big. But personally I think they're more speaker than I need for my hobby recording. I don't need a speaker that can cause ear damage.. these things are sitting withing 20 inches of my ears. So these things are getting send back. The static and radio interference is annoying and appearently it happens to a lot of people. I don't have the problem with any other speakers in my house, and only occasionally do I get radio through my guitaramps.

I'm thinking about getting those $124 M-Audio Studiophile DX4's instead (any body got any comments on these? I personally just need to get something to replace my mid-range subwoofer+satelite computer speakers).. I'll just stick to headphones for the subtle stuff and bass frequencies for now.

dejacky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dejacky » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:34 pm

I think if you're going to spend that little money on monitors, it might be an option to get an EXCELLENT stereo pair of bookshelf speakers for listening to music and a really good amp. Save your money over the years for the Dynaudio BM6A..thats what I would do at least....wait I am doing that hehe.
-dejacky

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:33 pm

havent heard them, but once in a while someone says the word "Auratone" to me on this topic...

i have NS-10s and im looking for something maybe too...i LOVE my monitors, but something different could be cool.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

dejacky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dejacky » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:25 am

I had an interesting conversation with a recording engineer in a music store who basically said if the rest of the speaker design is up to par, only the type of TWEETER in the speaker itself can set apart a very mediocre speaker from an amazing one. I'm curious if anyone is into DIY monitors or if it's recommended for those that have time to build, but a low budget?
-dejacky

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:48 am

Except for some passive NHT Super Ones, with a nice 100W amp powering them. Total should be in the range specified.
MASSIVE Mastering wrote:Except maybe the Wharfedale Pro Diamond 8.2 Actives... If they're half as good as the original Diamond 8.2's, they're easily worth twice the price (of around $300).

That being said, I haven't tried the actives yet - Wharfedale apporoached me about them about a year ago, but I was "a little busy" at the time for testing speakers. People I know that HAVE tried them (A) bought them, and (B) are thrilled with them. So, I can only assume that the Wharfie guys weren't pulling my leg when they told me they made an active (and SHIELDED!!!) Diamond that sounded as good as the originals...

If you can dig up a pair, you should try them.

YMMV...