Mac or PC: Does it really matter?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
recordingtheseas
audio school

Mac or PC: Does it really matter?

Post by recordingtheseas » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:02 pm

I'm looking in to getting a computer for audio recording. My friend told me PC's are crap and they don't really work for recording. Is this true? I would get a mac but i could save so much money just buying a PC. Please Help me!

Also which program do you recommend?
Logic, Nuendo, Protools, Cubasis?

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Re: Mac or PC: Does it really matter?

Post by soundhack » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:31 pm

my 2 cents...

- the main deciding factor should really be the software you want to run on the machine. figure out what you are going to be doing, go to an audio pro shop, get everything demoed (visit them on a slow day) and figure out which thing meets your needs/budget

- do the same with hardware

- these choices should suggest pc or mac... if not, you should balance

1 price
2 performance
3 support (what does local pro shop support? what do your friends use?)

- of these, i think #3 will probably help you the most. that is, unless you are a comp. sci. graduate (in which case you should really be hacking a blackface adat to run the linux demudi dist)

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:36 pm

The PC vs. Mac debate will spawn a variety of responses. Some people will be inclined to tell you that if you want true performance, a Mac is the only way to go. While a few years ago there might have been some truth to this others like myself think PCs are great and are only getting better at handling audio recording. Also, as you have noticed PCs are much cheaper, especially if you build them yourself which isn't too difficult. Although in the past I have used Mac/Pro Tool rigs in my home studio I have a PC I built myself running Nuendo and quite frankly I have had great sucess with it. As for software, if you go the route of the PC, then logic is pretty much out of the question. Personally I think the only advantage of buying a Pro Tools setup is the compatability you'll have if you deside to bring your project into a pro studio or some similiar setup, although not every studio uses PT but it is the standard. As for Nuendo vs. Cubase, thats a tough call which I feel really depends upon your needs. It sounds like your new to the whole DAW recording field and hence I'm assuming you don't really have alot of gear. Also I take it your wishing to use the computer for personal uses and not in any pro environment. Consequently, if money is an issue Cubase SX is an excellent program. It sounds great, its fairly easy to use once you take the time to explore it and its midi implimenatation is pretty solid. If you got the cash, Nuedo is also quite good, some people complain about the stability of the program but I haven't really had any big problems with it. I would also suggest you look into Sonar, Cool Edit Pro and some of the others. I haven't used some of the other programs as extensivly or at all, but I have heard good things, especially regarding Sonar. One more program you should look into is SAW. I have never used it myself, nor do I know anyone who has but I stumbled across it not to long ago and it looked pretty darn impressive. My last piece of advice regarding software is to go to each companies website and download the demo. You can also (and I am in no way shape or form advocating piracy) but I do know people who have used Kazaa and other file-sharing programs to download full-featuring working versions of some of the programs mentioned to audition them. However, I strongly suggest once you have had time to audition the programs and decide on one you like, GO OUT AND BUY IT!. Not only is important to support the company (I know the price seems like alot but the R&D and marketing is expensive) but the free updates, manuals and tech support are worth the hefty price tag. Hope all this helps.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:53 am

Which computer are you comfortable on?

Also, what software do you want to use? I'd make THAT decision first. If you want Logic or Digital Performer, then it's mac. If you want Sonar, then it's PC. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Go to a store and try out a bunch of different programs and see what's easy to learn and fits your working style.

If I were starting out right now, I'd buy a PC and probably go with Sonar or Nuendo. But I've got five years of learning done on a Mac and Digital Performer, plus a lot of $$ invested in software, so that's where I'll stay for the forseeable future.

Yes, you get less bang for the buck on Mac, but I am totally happy with mine and have plenty of onboard processing power. And, as a lifelong PC user, I hate to say it but I do like the OS interface better.

Best,
--JES

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:53 am

Everything these guys have said so far seems to be a good start.

I vote PC, but it really doesn't matter.

To re-iterate, make these choices first:

1) Which software/ hardware combination
2) Which OS you are less un-comfortable on ( I hate them both)
3) Which fits best in your budget

To determine software, look at these things:

Audio sequencing - If you're doing a lot of sampling, cut & pasting, and what not, your choice will be different than if you need to plug in and use it solely as a tracking machine.
Audio Mixing options - If you're using an outboard mixer, then you don't need a program with as many bells and whistles here.
File Formats - Most guys will run two main programs: A sequencer and a two-track editor. Make sure the file formats are ones you can work with in the environments you wish to work with them in. As well, some programs have great file maintenance options, some just blow.

To determine hardware, look at these things:

I/O - It should go without saying that you'll need an audio card with the right I/O options. AES/ SPDIF/ Analog (TRS and/or XLR) and other options are easily available in multiple combinations.
Comatibility - Again, it should go without saying that your chosen sound cards need to be compatible with the OS, the platform, and the programs.
Computer Specs - While they mean less to me than they used to, make sure you're getting a decent amount of RAM, processing speed, and adequate hard drive space and speed. an OK video card should be fine. It is this area that PC's usually excell the most- it's easy enough to build an impressive PC for under $500. An equivalent MAC will easily double that.

I would do some hardcore message board research on Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, CEP, Nuendo, DP, and any and all software you are considering first. Might take a few hours, but it'll save you months.

Good luck.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

recordingtheseas
audio school

Post by recordingtheseas » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:57 am

Thank you for your help. I'm very comfortable with both PC and Mac. I think I might get a PC and run Nuendo. I've heard good things about it. Would this work for me? I record experimental pop songs similar to bobby birdman, version, microphones but with more electronics.

also, can you recommend an interface for me.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:05 pm

A top end mac will cost just as much as a top-of-the-line PC. My 2 cents.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:36 pm

if you can afford it PC/Nuendo/RME multiface is a pretty good bet.

another thing to think about software wise, is what software will suit your needs the most. i am going to very much generalize here but.... others chime in please. i think this is an important aspect of purchasing.

nuendo- studio replicant, complex, powerful. basically recreates what you can do in a regular pro studio. very sturdy. good if you have clients and charge them. takes away some power of user configuration for general sturdiness of interface and complementing multiple users.

pro tools- like above, but even more geared towards a studio. as above.

logic- midi production, song production, mixed with audio production, with the ability to use it as a live instrument buried in there. very complex and the user configurations are powerful. good for experimentation and tinkering. but you can get bogged down in it if you are not careful.

digital performer- a "home studio" replicant. quick, easy to use and set-up. not as powerful, but frees up your brain for song writing and performance. good for experimental music, if you want most of your experimenting to be around instruments and normal studio mixing tricks.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:00 pm

eeldip wrote: digital performer- a "home studio" replicant. quick, easy to use and set-up. not as powerful, but frees up your brain for song writing and performance. good for experimental music, if you want most of your experimenting to be around instruments and normal studio mixing tricks.
I would argue that DP gives you more options, control and freedom - especially if you're doing heavy sequencing / editing - than ProTools LE.

I spent five years with a nice PC, but eventually freaked out and bought a Mac. Windows was just a total mess despite having plenty of great apps. I'm sure XP is more stable than the Unholy trinity of 95-98-ME but I didn't have the patience by then to stick around and find out. My mac has been more trustworthy but still has its occaisional fits.

Anyway, like everyone else is advising, find software you like (don't buy without test driving) and make your purchase accordingly. There's no clear cut 'winner', anyone going on about PCs being total crap / Macs being total crap is just being a drama queen!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:03 pm

Re: Mac sequencers, in my opinion

Other than an expensive hardware Protools system, Digital Performer 3.11 is the hands-down best audio recording/mixing program on the mac as far as I can tell, but it's hell to deal with on softsynths that aren't MAS-specific (but it does play nice with Spectrsonics and that's a big thing) and has limited plugin support because of its proprietary format. DP 4 is a bust and should be avoided until 4.01 comes out.

Logic kills on loops and softsynths, and has a higher learning curve, but is not as advanced in audio (though version 6 finally has key features like grouped faders, etc.).

Protools is the industry standard, but if you're going native, then there's no advantage to using it.

Ableton Live is a neat tool as well.

Best,
--JES

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:12 pm

A.L. wrote:
I would argue that DP gives you more options, control and freedom - especially if you're doing heavy sequencing / editing - than ProTools LE.
oh yea, pro tools is a pretty rugged guy. it is not designed to be free and easy, but consistant and sturdy.

and that ableton live, i downloaded the demo, and sort of dropped it before i got a handle on it, but if you are into experimental music, it might be perfect for you.

totally set up to "play" like an instrument. but it isnt really for recording.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:12 pm

I use a PC Desktop for recording, and will likley use it for Ableton Live, with XP Pro.

BUT...

For my Laptop I had to go Mac, because I love their mobile hardware.

If your going fast and on a budget, PC
If your willing to go for extended quality and stability, Mac

PC desktops are so cheap though, that you might as well have one around!
Why choose just one when the two can compliment each other?!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:54 am

Not a bad point, actually! Of course, then you've also got two monitors. . . .

One other thing. For portable, Macs still have a slight edge. You get like 6 hours of battery time on a g3 or g4, and while some PCs are catching up, there are fewer "mobile processor" issues with a Mac laptop.

Damn, now I'm thinking about picking up a cheap PC for SF Acid. . . .

Best,
--JES

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:03 am

It's kinda odd too, cus I always want one to be running something differant.
Like, mixing down from one machine to another one, or using one as an insturment and recording that with another one. I know I could properly wire everything up in one, but my mind still thinks Insturments and Tapemachines.

bitdump
ass engineer

Post by bitdump » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:54 am

I run both platforms, a New mac logic 6 system, old Win98 logic system.

Also building the new rig, Pent 4 3.0 gig with Nuendo 2. They all are about the same. Oh also have the hardware to run an older protools system as well, but that mac sees no use right now. Been running DP since the mac MIDI only classic days, and Logic since V2.

Aside from neat looking and speed booting ect, they are all about the same, well the old logic system suffers crap converters and other old technology limitation.

But all get about the same amount of work done at the end of the day. Crash as much as the other, and all that. One because I've learned to squeeze ever bit I can from the system and software, the other because it OSX and V6 of logic are going though growing pain, as seems to be the case with the new rev of Nuendo. Protools same thing.

Differnece between system is minor at best. All the software you mentioned can do what you want and then more.

Heck Vegas rocks for what it costs if you don't need the MIDI and if you have a rig now that will be sticking around for that, then just run some SMTPE and lock the two boxes that way. Cripes the full bundle is under a grand with full video and audio, 5,1 encoders and DVD authoring.

bla bla bla happy hunting