Mac or PC: Does it really matter?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Re: Mac or PC: Does it really matter?

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:17 am

recordingtheseas wrote: My friend told me PC's are crap and they don't really work for recording. Is this true?

Also which program do you recommend? Logic, Nuendo, Protools, Cubasis?[/
not true. not even close to true. i've recorded many albums on my dell win98 machine running logic 5.10. i have no complaints. i highly recommend logic audio, the only problem is that it is mac only from version 6. and i was reading about version 6 and the new features are truley 'must have'. or at least worth having. this alone makes me want to switch to mac. and i don't even like macs. watch, i'll end up doing one of those 'switched' ads for apple. "yeah, i loved my pc. it was great. but then apple bought out emagic and wouldn't share logic with windows users. so i switched. um.. i kinda had to, i guess."

ayan

foley
pushin' record

Re: Mac or PC: Does it really matter?

Post by foley » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:32 am

I have found that there are really two issues in play concerning computer recording: processor speed, and harddrive space.

The processor speed is important because it will dictate the number of tracks you can play back at one time, and the number of real-time effects you can apply to each track while they are playing back. So make sure you get a kicking processor (this is also not something easily changed on most machines, as compared to ram [imo])

Harddrive space is obviously important because it will allow you to keep everything you do, without having to do unwanted purges to free up space. 80 gigs is really a minimum.

With all of that said, I think processor speed is really THE most important issue - since external drives can be purchased fairly easily.

I am a mac fan, and I may get blasted for this, but the new i and emacs are affordable, have awesome processors, and can be made studio ready with the addition of a firewire i/o like the motu stuff. Throw in a firewire harddrive, and you really are ready to go.

But even this affordable alternative is probably still more expensive than a cheaper Dell or whatever. It really does depend on budget.

The last thing I will say is that I have never been in a pro studio that didn't use mac. That is probably a reflection of my limited experience in pro studios, but at least everyone I know at the pro level uses mac.

my 2 cents. good luck!

mf