Pres with a butload of gain. . .

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Pres with a butload of gain. . .

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:43 pm

65 dB isn't cutting it for a mono dynamic mic recording for some soft fingerpicking and singing> tape with mic backed up about two feet.

Not that I would go out and buy a preamp just for this but what are some preamps with a buttload of gain? I'm talking like 70 to 75 dB, and headroom to boot? Sytek? I keep meaning to invest in one of those at some point.

Concerning this same issue, has anyone tried just running two preamps in series for more gain? I think I'll try this. I guess the obvious concern is that the second preamp is expecting a mic level signal and I might fry it? Ah, probably not. Let's see what happens. . . .

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Pres with a butload of gain. . .

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:52 pm

My apogee trak2 has 90db's of true preamplification...It's a really really clean sounding pre though...I dont know if thats what your going for?

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:10 pm

The usual suspects
Great River Nv
API
Hardy
Sytek should work...etc
You could try 2 pres in series..might sound good,might not.
Maybe a pre with a compressor to add on some gain? OR a decent condenser mic might be the answer.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:51 pm

Hardy M1
Hamptone JFET

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:14 pm

Gotta whoop and shout for Metric Halo ULN-2. 72dB of gain, very strong and clean. (Plus being a great firewire interface.)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:33 pm

For this particular application, I'd recommend a modern, high-output condenser mic, like something from Audio Technica's 40-series, but that's not the specific question you asked.

For me, the Syteks are usually the first thing I go to for high-gain and quiet. At less than $900 for four channels, they can't be beat. APIs are also relatively high-gain as well and sound freaking great, although they can be EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY noisier than the Syteks when used with low-output mics on quiet sources. Other favorite options in the high-gain camp for me include ATI and Millenia. Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:31 pm

I think you can get the grace 101 with an optional high gain (70db) option ... which doesn't cost any more $$$ than the stock unit. Getting a condenser might be a good / cheaper idea.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:57 pm

the great river nv's have 60 of gain in the pre. the output stage gets you another 10db. it's not really the same as 70db at the preamp. but it still sounds good!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:08 am

also see...

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

RECOVERY
audio school graduate

Post by RECOVERY » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:49 pm

if it's gotta be a dynamic you might try the blue "blue ball". they're pretty decent sounding high gain dynamics. and cheaper than buying a new preamp.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:28 pm

one preamp that you could just "go out and buy" for this app is bellari mp105 with the black lion mod.

it has 75db of gain, lower noise than you would think (although i wouldnt call it low noise).
so you know, $60-$75 with the mod for a one channel. REALLY good value for us po' people.

(not exactly "clean and clear" gain, but pretty fun and colorful)

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Post by sdelsolray » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:16 pm

For the $$ you'd spend on a decent pre with higher gain, consider getting a pair of decent condenser mics. You don't need 60+dB of gain with condensers. A pair of mics would allow you to create some sort of stereo image. Coupled with the conderser sound, you will likely come up with an overall better recording.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:19 pm

Poooo,

I'm tired of condensors. I've got a Neumann M582H condensor, and I love the thing don't get me wrong. I just wanted a 57 to work for this particular song. Cause it sounded like Skip James or something, 60's era, not 20's (Now that's some tape hiss, or should I say wax hiss?)

I'm not about to go out and buy another mic, or preamp just cause there's a little tape hiss. I do like to assemble options in my head though just for future reference. I swear one day when I win the lottery I'm going to get a frikkin API lunchbox compressors EQ's and pres, Holy Mother of Love that costs a lot though. But not as much as Fairchild. Yes!!!

Anyway, thanks all for the ideas. I found out yesterday,that on the mentioned recording I didn't even have the output all the way up on the pre. Totally lame, I swear I thought I was cranking everything.

Gonna start over again. . . . .

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:44 pm

Millenia pres are made for low voltage mics (like ribbons). You can step up the power to more than 36 dB and it's cleaner than clean.

Hagel
going one way down a wrong way street

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:16 pm

i didn't see anybody ask yet, but what kind of room are you in that you'd need so much damn gain? seriously, try the kitchen or something.

also, try another cable or different input on your MTR.