Reel To Reel Basics???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
skinnyemo77
takin' a dinner break

Reel To Reel Basics???

Post by skinnyemo77 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:33 pm

I haven't seen this in the FAQ section, but for all us folk who have yet to use a reel to reel tape machine for recording, could some of you guys who have give us some basics?

What should you look for to start out using reel to reel?

When you get one, how do you set it up to monitor and mix tracks from a mixing console?

Really ground level stuff like this...

I've seen the thread regarding tape width in the FAQ, and all that is great, but if i don't know the basics of purchasing, setting up, and operating a reel to reel machine, what good does it do me?

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance. Just brought up in a digital world, trying to get back to the classic age of recording. :-)

evan
buyin' gear

Re: Reel To Reel Basics???

Post by evan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:40 pm

Yes, I don't know if I'm asking the same thing, but I'd be interested in getting a basic conceptual knowledge of how tracking, effects, and all those sorts of things are done in the reel-to-reel world. I guess how the signal path is laid out, typically? Because, honestly, I don't have a clue.

My closest experience to reel-to-reel is a cassette four-track, and I'm guessing there's at least a few notable differences between the two...or are there?

There's got to be a good website out there for this sort of thing.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:56 pm

I'm assuming you mean a multi-track.

Makie has really really good manuals for their mixers. They explain basic concepts and have good pictures of how to hook up the mixer and multitrack (reel to reel, hd recorder, whatever you are using). The pictures alone will give you a very quick read of how to hook up a mixer with a multitrack.

Owners manual for small Mackie mixer
(will give you basic concepts and has hook up diagrams):
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/1202vlzpro_om.pdf

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:00 pm

Sounds like much of what you're talking about is basic routing, which in theory isn't all that different in the digital world. Most of what you're talking about occurs between the tape machine, the patchbay (and/or studio wiring), and the console. I think the things about which you're asking probably have more to do with the console. Your basic signal path would be something like source to mic or DI to mic preamp (if it's a console mic pre, then usually through the channel path to the fader and console's tape outs--if it has direct outs--or to buss outs), to tape machine input, through tape machine to tape machine's outputs to console's tape inputs and most likely to the monitor section during tracking, then out to the control room monitors.

There are some excellent books out there. Most of the good ones that have been around for a while will explain this sort of thing, but it's best if you can get your hands on some type of setup to see how it works in practice. Sherman Keene's book is really great. My favorite is probably Wayne Wadham's "Sound Advice," which offers lots of great advice about how certain types of instruments produce sounds and how microphone placement affects what you hear.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

skinnyemo77
takin' a dinner break

Post by skinnyemo77 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:15 am

I guess another thing I would ask is anyone here who uses reel to reel, which machines should I be looking for when I go to buy one?

What reel to reel brand do you prefer and why?

Like if I were to find an Otari 1/2" 8 Track on ebay, should I buy it?

Do most reel to reel machines have mixing consoles or ways to route each track to a mixing console of my choice and then down to a stereo mastering machine?

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:43 am

Using an 8track as an example, the tape machine will have 8 outputs and you can route those 8 outputs to the inputs of your mixer. You use the faders to set the volume of each track and then take the 2 channel output from the mixer and send that to a 2 track mixdown deck.

Very few 8 tracks (if any) have built in mixers and some of the 4track reels that do have mixing capabilities, are basically volume and don't have EQ options etc.

Otari is a good brand. The biggest thing you have to worry about with reel to reels is what kind of shape the heads are in. Without looking at them yourself you have to rely on the testimony of the seller and hope you get lucky.

skinnyemo77
takin' a dinner break

Post by skinnyemo77 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:50 am

This is the kind of stuff I was looking for.

So basically you're saying that you should have two mixing consoles, one to send signals to the track inputs on the reel to reel and another to accept track outputs from the reel to reel for mixdown, correct?

Okay I'm starting get it.

About the head issue, if the heads on the reel to reel are effed, what kind of noises on the recording will indicate this? How costly is it to get the heads cleaned or to replace the heads on a machine like an Otari?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb.

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:20 am

skinnyemo77 wrote:So basically you're saying that you should have two mixing consoles, one to send signals to the track inputs on the reel to reel and another to accept track outputs from the reel to reel for mixdown, correct?
No. You only need one mixer. Did you check out those diagrams from the mackie manual?

You can get sound into the recorder a few ways.
#1. using the direct out of the mixer: you can use your mixer/console preamps and connect a cable to the direct out of each channel to the input of each track. so channel 1 on the mixer goes to channel 1 of the 8track etc. using this method you will either need a recording console with tape returns (so you can flip between the preamp and tape return), use the inserts to send / return, or get a mixer that has twice as many channels as tracks so you can use 1-8 to send from your mixer to the recorder, and use 9-16 on the mixer to return channels 1-8 from the tape machine for mixing.

#2. using external preamps: you can have the outputs of a preamp go to the inputs of the 8track. using this method you only need the console as a mixer and will use channels 1-8 to mix the outputs of the tape machine.

download those mackie manuals. there are pictures of all these examples.

skinnyemo77
takin' a dinner break

Post by skinnyemo77 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:28 am

Okay cool, I was just thinking about that. I have a 16 channel board at home, so I was kinda figuring you could split the inputs and outputs in half on the board.

Thanks for all the help.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:34 am

Okay cool, I was just thinking about that. I have a 16 channel board at home, so I was kinda figuring you could split the inputs and outputs in half on the board.
This is what I do. I have an 8 track recorder and a 16 channel board. It works fine for a simple, no frills setup.
beware bee wear

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:12 am

joeysimms wrote:
This is what I do. I have an 8 track recorder and a 16 channel board. It works fine for a simple, no frills setup.
Same here. When i had an 8 track i would do the same.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:23 am

if you're looking for a good deck to start with, look at the tascam msr-16 or tsr-8's. my first tape deck was an msr-16 which i still have and is for sale if you are interested. it's a 1/2" 16 track. i say it's a great deck to start with because it's a complete no brainer, just plug and play. 15 ips at 1/2" means 32 minutes per reel = affordable tape costs. i was really happy with mine, and it's a great first deck because it doesn't require all the tweaking and aligning that a pro deck requires. excellent way to get your feet wet.

what 16 channel board are you using? when i started, i was using a spirit fx16 with that msr-16...

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:44 pm

I agree with the idea of using a 16 channel mixer & 8 track machine, that's what I use. It's nice having 8 seperate channels for mixdown so you don't have to change your settings all the time.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:51 pm