MIC REVIEW: Earthworks QTC-1

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
NewPunk
alignin' 24-trk

MIC REVIEW: Earthworks QTC-1

Post by NewPunk » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:32 am

Some things in the world are just cool. I have a matched pair of Earthworks QTC-1's, and I think they're pretty nifty. They're about $900 each, new, and they can come from the factory in a certified matched pair for exactly twice as much. Earthworks also makes a similar, less expensive model of omni, and a cardioid microphone.

This mics are, in general, known for a ruler flat response and detailed impulse capture. They are omni-directional condenser microphones built right here in the US of A. The capsule is about 1/4", which is crazy, because they capture more detail than any large diaphragm in my collection. In fact, only my BLUE Dragonflies come close. They have no roll-off switch, or gain pad. Be careful with your pre-amp's gain setting and loud source material, because these mics are hot, hot, hot. Be more worried about overloading your pre-amp than hurting the mic. They can handle high SPL. They come, if you buy a pair of them, in a wooden box, and will remind you of dueling pistols from the 23rd Century.

I've made a few interesting discoveries about these mics:

1) If you set the mics up in a stereo configuration, then hard-pan the inputs L/R while you monitor on headphones, you will trick your brain into thinking you're in the same room. So if your room sucks, sorry. If you always wondered why it doesn't sound as good on the recording as it did in the room, get a pair of these.

2) Since they're omni's, they can get REALLY close to the source without overemphasizing any part of the material. I like to have one of these things pointed at the body of an acoustic guitar, less than an inch away.

3) They're great drum mics, in general. They're usually the first mics I try. Haven't tried too hard on bass drum, though. Maybe somebody else has.

4) I haven't yet liked them for voice. They aren't flattering enough.
Matthew All-the-Time
NewPunk
www.newpunk.tv
Baltimore, MD

xSALx
pushin' record

Re: MIC REVIEW: Earthworks QTC-1

Post by xSALx » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:01 am

I was lucky enough to get a job at school recording the concerts put on by the music department, and we use these mics a lot for the big concert hall to record orchestras. Let me tell you, these mics pic everything up. As said earlier , these have very flat response. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to try these as anything but overheads for classical ensembles, but they sound amazing. I can only dream about what they sound like for an acoustic guitar.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:18 am

Yeah, Earthworks indeed makes some great stuff.

They've just come out with a drum mic set, specifically designed for using only 3 mics on a kit. It comes with a matched pair of omnis (or cardioids for live sound use) and a cardioid with a removable in-line filter for the kickdrum. They call it the "KickPad" and it seems to subtely filter out some boxy mid frequencies. Full Compass is selling them.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:14 am

Indeed, wonderful stuff and great customer service from Earthworks. I have a matched pair of TC30K mics (the slightly cheaper omni than the QTC-1...) and they get used on a variety of sources. Bass cabs from a distance sound great with these, 'cause they get so much low end, and they excel for upright bass when wedged in the bridge with some foam and pointed up the fingerboard. They're not my fav. drum OH mics, but sticking one in an odd corner of the room for reflected room sound is cool. So is hanging one inside an empty 5 gallon water bottle in front of the kit or a loud amp.
I think you're better off just calling Earthworks and ordering direct from them if you want their stuff. Often they have deals on "B" stock, returns, or items with cosmetic blemishes, and they ship right away...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:36 pm

NewPunk wrote:The capsule is about 1/4", which is crazy, because they capture more detail than any large diaphragm in my collection.
I don't think that "bigger" necessarily equals "better" when it comes to microphone diaphragms. The lower mass of a small diaphragm would theoretically allow for the capture of much higher "detail" than the significantly greater mass of an LDC. This is probably why measurement microphones are more often than not SDC's. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing an LDC measurement mic, much less one with such a flat response as the QTC-1.

Not baggin' on ya here. I'm just sayin'.
And maybe I'm totally wrong! Heck, I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron