losing clocking on 001 optical

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

losing clocking on 001 optical

Post by mysteriousmammal » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:27 pm

Hi All-

I asked digi about this and of course they were no help. I've got a 001, and external Swissonic AD and DA converters. I am attempting to clock off the Swissonic AD via the optical input. The 001 will run off of this, but for some reason, when it sends the signal back to the Swissonic DA, I get clock pops and clicks. I had all of this running on my old G4 400, but recently got a G4 1Ghz single processor, and this problem came up. It does it whether or not I have the Sync cable linking the DA and AD. It runs fine off the 001's clock, but that kinda kills half the benefits of buying an external converter. Any suggestions? I'm using "optical" in the hardware sync settings. What would have changed in the new Mac vs. the old one to cause this?

Thanks,
Matt

tommy
steve albini likes it

Re: losing clocking on 001 optical

Post by tommy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:02 am

I dont have my oo1 rig in front of me at the moment but I have a similar set up except my ad/da is an rme. You need too click on window (i think) and set the hardware to see external clock.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:42 am

Is this different than choosing "optical" in the Hardware Setups menu? Everything was working until I changed Macs.

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:40 am

yes optical is what you want. my mistake. you probably figured out the problem by now but in case you havent, make sure you set the swiss sonic clock to internal weather you are in 44.1 or 48. also make sure that all devices connected digitally are consistant.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:37 am

Thanks, Tommy, but I'm already doing everything you describe (and it worked on my old machine), but for some reason it doesn't work on the new one. My Clock's fine for A-D, and I think even for the Digi DA outputs while clocking from the Swissonic. The problem is I lose sync from the 001 to the DA, whether I'm using a sync cable between the two Swissonic units or not.

I thought the sync cable between the units might be somehow conflicting with the optical feed coming from the 001 (which is clocked from the Swissonic AD), but it doesn't matter. I get the clicks and pops after I remove the cable and only have the optical feeding the DA.

Anyone else out there have this problem? Anyone know someone at Digi that might be able to help? Thanks!!

Nozzler
ass engineer

Post by Nozzler » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:10 pm

I use a similar set-up at home. Can you choose a clock source on the Swissonic unit. If so, make sure that it corressponds with your protools settings. Is there software that goes with the swissonic. Just throwing ideas out at you. Is the Swissonic 24 bit compatible, if it isn't, is your session set to 24 bit. the card and the box are not talking that's the bottom line. retrace them steps, you'll figure it out!

Nozzler
ass engineer

Post by Nozzler » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:13 pm

ok i've re-read your statement. It sounds like you are trying to lock a device other than the swissonic? Am i correct? Because if you are then it's not the swissonic's fault at all. Look to the transport control or look to the opertations menu and its perephials submenu for answers.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:32 pm

Thanks for the tips. My Swissonic AD is clocking my Digi001, and that in turn is clocking my Swissonic DA through the optical from the Digi001. The only way to clock a Digi001 is through the optical input. My Swissonic DA is getting it's digital information, and therefore the clock, from my 001. Also, for good measure, I have the Swissonic DA being clocked via the BNC cable from the Swissonic AD. It's a straight forward setup, but for some reason with the new G4 it doesn't work. I've checked all my ProTools settings, and after reading the manual, all I can find is that I need to set my hardware sync to "optical", which is what I've been doing all along. My Swissonic AD is set to internal, 44.1 K, 24 bit. My DA is set accordingly. What am I doing wrong?!!!

Nozzler
ass engineer

Post by Nozzler » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:05 am

i get it there is and a/d box and then a d/a box. Nice! am I right in saying that both boxes need to be set to internal mode if you are using both at the same time. Nothing should be running off of digi clock.

i

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:14 pm

Well, actually, the DA has to be set to External because it is getting clock from the Digi001 via optical which is in turn being clocked by the AD.

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:54 pm

my guess is crappy digi hardware, I know you said it worked in your old setup. but digi prob never updated the clocking for the newer macs. the 001 is good about accepting optical sync, but I have had probs with it's optical sync outputs, (with adats, da38s etc).

just a guess,

You might want to get a lucid genex clock. It would let you sync to b&c on both the ad and the da, hopefully the digi hardware could keep up via optical, but the master clock would deff keep the da ad guys in sync.
If I were you I'd order one, check it out and return it if it doesn't fix the prob.
mercenary sells them I think.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:24 pm

Thanks Sonariste-

I suspect what you're saying is true about Digi not designing for the new G4s. I thought about buying an external clock as you said, but I'm worried that it wouldn't make a difference, as right now I have the Swissonic units locked together via BNC and it's still not working. Unfortunately, I have to get audio via the optical from the Digi001 and that contains clock, which is screwing me up. Thanks for the advice though. I'll let everyone know if I get this straightened out. I might just buy an old G4 that my friend has for sale with everthing SCSI, as I'm sharing this mac with a partner who uses it for graphics/internet, etc.

Nozzler
ass engineer

Post by Nozzler » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:00 am

have you tried disconnecting the a/d interface and running the d/a solo. also are you for b&c to work wouldn't you need the digi card to run to a midi timepiece with b&c. sorry i'm still learning this stuff!

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:46 am

It doesn't matter if I disconnect the BNC cable. BNC and clocking as I understand it doesn't have anything to do with MIDI, so it shouldn't need a MIDI timepiece.

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:19 pm

any solutions?

curious, I might buy some swissonic stuff for use with an 001