Mastering Plugin suite

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Loefigh
audio school

Mastering Plugin suite

Post by Loefigh » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:41 pm

I'm looking for some suggestions for mastering plugins. Im working on a mac running os x with dp4 and peak....

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Mastering Plugin suite

Post by pscottm » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:13 am

though not a suite, PSP Audio's Vintage Warmer is one of my faves, great multiband compressor. incredible bang for buck. also Waves suites are very good.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:21 am

Waves is your best bet, but I don't think it runs with DP4 yet. In the DP 4 world, you're pretty much hosed as far as I can tell until more developers come out with OSX MAS plugs or DP4.01 or whatever with audio unit support comes out.

I'm staying with DP 3.11 until I hear about lots of happy campers. So far the campers are mixed at best (check out the BBS at unicornation.com to see what I mean).

Now, Peak OTOH runs VST plugins, so there you'll have no problem with the Waves setup. As far as I know, they're pretty much the standard. Dunno if T-racks has been ported over to OSX yet but they're pretty well regarded since the upgrade to 24 bits.

As always, for a real mastering job, see a real mastering engineer. For my roughs/demos, I use RenComp, RenEQ, and L1.

Best,
--JES

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:54 am

JES wrote:
Now, Peak OTOH runs VST plugins, so there you'll have no problem with the Waves setup.
Hi Jes...

Do you mean that Waves plugs (for os 9) will run in a osx compatible sequencer? I didn't think Waves (even VST) would work in OSX, period.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:04 am

Loefigh wrote:I'm looking for some suggestions for mastering plugins. Im working on a mac running os x with dp4 and peak....
um.. i'm not sure if either of these will work on a mac, or dp, but izotope ozone and t-racks are 2 things to check out.

ayan

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:35 pm

thearnicasync wrote:
JES wrote:
Now, Peak OTOH runs VST plugins, so there you'll have no problem with the Waves setup.
Hi Jes...

Do you mean that Waves plugs (for os 9) will run in a osx compatible sequencer? I didn't think Waves (even VST) would work in OSX, period.
It won't. It has to be ported over. And according to the Waves site http://www.waves.com , their version 4 works on OSX. Now HOW it works and in what ways, you'll have to investigate for yourself. I actually use DP for "mastering" as it does fine as a 2-track editor for my purposes, so I've got to wait until everything's resolved in OSX. But I can keep making music in the meantime.

Best,
--JES

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:39 pm

You've gotta be careful with izotopes ozone or t-racks.. they can add a lot of noise and unpleasant distortion. i found the noise problem totally intolerable with ozone, although to be honest i didn't spend a lot of time getting used to it. I've never had a lot of success doing my own mastering, but the waves renaissance stuff really is nice. I use that for everything, its great, I also use Waves L1. The C4's never really done much for me.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:16 pm

As a PC user, Waves is the king of the hill. The ren stuff is great, the masters stuff is great. Highly recommended if it works on your system.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."