Apple Spec Leak

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
ottokbre
deaf.

Apple Spec Leak

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:59 am

so last night, for just a few minutes, Apple Store displayed the new page for the power macs that are to be released with the new G5. it was a complete mistake, but what a sneak peak.

1.6, 1.8 and dual 2.0 Ghz PowerPC G5 (PowerPC 970)
up to 1GHz processor bus (Hypertransport?) - runs at 1/2 proc speed
USB 2.0
PCI and PCI-X
up to 8GB DDR SDRAM
Optical and analog audio i/o (toslink)
Firewire 800 and 400
Fast Serial ATA HD's
Bluetooth/Airport Extreme ready
AGP 8X cards from NVIdia and ATI

i don't think PC guys will be able to bash us anymore

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Re: Apple Spec Leak

Post by soundhack » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:30 am

great news! glad i saved some money in my studio budget.

i'm curious if it will be 2 or 8 channels on the optical audio. probably 2, but there may be reasons (apple's ownership of emagic, surround audio) that they would put an 8-channel lightpipe on the machine.

btw, the 970 is a 64-bit processor. for many things it will be twice as fast as a 32-bit processor at the same clock speed. optimistically a 2GHz G5 = 4GHz G4.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:56 am

yeah, i might have to move in a shelter to save up the rent money for one!!!

thats crazy fast tho. handling 24/192 would be so easy!

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:00 pm

i would place my bets on only 2 channels of audio. one would think because they own logic, they would, or have solved their audio problems. got in FCP 4.0 the other day with the same hopes and dreams. but alas.. apple says, cause of some OS issue.. you can only take in 2 channels at once [even though we have a card that could take 6].. and we have yet to realy it to output more then 2 channels with out some kinda problems. they say you can out put 24 channels.. id be happy with 4. i lovez my apple.. but they seems far from being able to get their audio issue's worked out. imo

-trevor

spesimen
audio school graduate

Post by spesimen » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:45 pm

impressive specs, particularly the superfast bus!

ottokbre wrote: i don't think PC guys will be able to bash us anymore

wait and see how much it costs, first...hehe! :)

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:13 pm

yeah the bus speed is amazing! to think that it's running more than what processors were only two or three years ago!

so i'm guessing with the new gig-ram chips, it has 8ddr slots. hmmmm...
thats a lot of mix-down capability too.

i'm sure they will cost about as much as a small japanese car tho. can't wait to see what kinda design they have for the wares tho.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:34 pm

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

they are up now for real.

you guys can thank me for this one. i just purchased a g4 3 months ago, and according to apple's upgrade cycle, they wait for me to buy a computer then release the new ones as soon as possible.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:19 pm

Being a PC guy, I have to say that I'm impressed... But not quite as impressed as I was with this.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

d franko
pluggin' in mics

Post by d franko » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:55 pm

Why in the world would you ever need 8 gigs of ram, that's just laughable to me. And they start at $1999.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:06 pm

Hey, that's what Gates said about 640k of RAM...

I read something once about crystal memory and how it could theoretically handle up to a TERABYTE (1000 gigs) of I/O per second...
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:38 pm

we had this apple IIx at my college that was set up for video editing with 100mb of RAM. and it just blew my mind, cause i just spent like $400 on a 100mb hard drive a year or two earlier, and $400 on 4mb of RAM! that was back when you could run photoshop 2.0 on 4mb of RAM, but really you wanted 8mb so you could run quark and photshop at the same time.

but 100mb! what would you need that for? you could open up like 25 photoshop applications at once!

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:37 pm

You know it's funny, the RAM is where they really stick you. Even the beefiest model only comes with 512mb, the full 8gigs 'll cost you $3,750 more. and of course you'll want two 23" flat panels. and the Fibre Channel card to go with your new X-serve RAID.

mrhawkinson
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mrhawkinson » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:01 pm

A.L. wrote:You know it's funny, the RAM is where they really stick you. Even the beefiest model only comes with 512mb, the full 8gigs 'll cost you $3,750 more.
All the computer makers overcharge for RAM. It's roughly $560/gig when you 'customize' a Gateway. RAM is the popcorn in the movie theater of retail computers.

It's so cheap and simple to add RAM to an Apple desktop you'd have to be an art director in titanium glasses to buy one fully loaded at the factory.

-p

d franko
pluggin' in mics

Post by d franko » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:42 am

d franko wrote:Why in the world would you ever need 8 gigs of ram, that's just laughable to me. And they start at $1999.
It just seems funny to me cause i have a computer that I bought about 2 years ago that has 512mb of RAM, and that's still not even the standard in newer computers.

I'm sure 8 gigs of ram will be nothing in about 3 years.

spesimen
audio school graduate

Post by spesimen » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:10 am

d franko wrote:Why in the world would you ever need 8 gigs of ram, that's just laughable to me. And they start at $1999.
8 gigs = never need to hit the disk even for a full mix. crazy track counts!

i frequently use up 1 gig and start hitting virtual memory when i'm doing 3d work..and in apps like acid it's nice when you can make everything one-shots or loops, which requires them to be loaded in ram..

i'm really impressed by the G5 specs! and, it's a lot cheaper than i expected. i had no idea apple was ready to drop the 64-bit stuff so soon.