Mac OS X recordists speak up!

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mrhawkinson
gimme a little kick & snare

Mac OS X recordists speak up!

Post by mrhawkinson » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:53 am

Heya-

I am about a year away from my next computer hardware purchase and at that point I will be moving from Mac OS 9.2.2 to either OS X or some other OS.

Who out there in Tape Op land is recording audio in OS X? What host applications are you using?

I'm especially interested to hear from folks who migrated from OS 9 -- how hard was it to get your old plugins and whatnot back up to speed?

-p

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Re: Mac OS X recordists speak up!

Post by pandafresh » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:59 am

well it seems to me that most of the software has made it over to 10.2. except soundedit 16... ive try'd out digital performer 4, and protools LE [for X]. seems to all work fine. but, there are still plug-in issues. as in a bunch of companys saying they wont have plug-ins [upgrades] available till end of the year, or so. plus, if you have any weird plug-ins that people have made, that was free [though mostly only a VST issue].. there might not be a osX port. witch is sorta a bummer imo. who knows what kinda problems "Panther" will cause.. they just gave out developer copies.. so hopefully we'll find out soon.

-trevor

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:58 am

i am just starting to get an g4 osX logic 6 thing together. up until april i used a g3 os 8.6 system.

so far, it works pretty well. osX takes some getting used to from a mac user standpoint. mainly i am upset with the multiple user thing--- it was always a relief coming home to my own personal computer that didnt have any user settings and whatnot... the desktop was THE desktop, not just the user desktop.

there are some other things that are annoying with osX, like i havent really gotten the whole dock thing down yet. i kinda wish it was a windows taskbar.

but anyway, in terms of audio-- the core audio thing is pretty cool. no OMS. which is very nice cause i always had conflicts when i loaded OMS, and had to run different extension sets. no problems so far with osX. the AU format is getting better support every day. and there are all sorts of neat little AU apps. it is very easy to have a mac laptop as your synth right now. i know lots of people who use oxygen 8 keyboards and mac laptops as their live rig. sort of cool as long as you hide the laptop!

umm. anyway, i wouldnt worry about it. the OS as far as i can tell is really built with audio in mind, and it is getting better all the time. it is new so it doesnt have everything quite worked out, but when it works it works really well.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:00 am

oh and i dumped all my old plug ins... i was using vst plugs with cubase.. but all freeware shareware ones... so i didnt have any attachment to them.

frankly the freeware stuff for AU mixed with the built in logic plugs are doing me pretty well for now....

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:18 am

been all osx w me for a while now. i found the sudden absense of a zillion plugins to be refreshing. i do miss pluggo but that's ok, only temporary. logic6, peak3.1, max/msp/jitter, reaktor4, destroyFX AU plugs, don't need much else. i really appreciate core audio's ability to share i/o hardware among apps that are open simultaneously. everything is super solid w exception of reaktor as AU plugin, so i just don't go there. other than sussing reaktor4, haven't had a crash since last year. (??) (knock, knock)
dynamics and mixing gets done w analog hardware.
the only thing i ever switch back to 9 for is radial.

mrhawkinson

Post by mrhawkinson » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:19 am

Is there a web site somewhere that tracks DIY/Shareware/Freeware Audio Units releases?

-p

PS. Which one of these guys is Eeldip?

(this is Knodel playing in the dark at the Stork Club in Oakland, Fall 1998... the power was off but their keyboards ran on batteries.)

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:34 am

holy fuck!

where did you get that?

you were at that show?

(i am the drummer)

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:01 pm

[quote="pscottm"] logic6, peak3.1, max/msp/jitter, reaktor4, destroyFX AU plugs, don't need much else. [/quote]

I'm thinking the same for me too. Eeesh... L6 is so pricey. Do you use any of the other Bias stuff?

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:04 pm

i just got logic 6 with the educational discount.

one $33 class at sf city college and a $799 program is $499.

mrhawkinson

Post by mrhawkinson » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:24 pm

eeldip wrote:where did you get that?

you were at that show?
Yep, I'm the Bozart guitar player dude. We played after you guys when the electricity came back...

-p

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:28 pm

oh yea... i think maybe i went to college with someone in bozart too.. i know i have some sort of loose connection to you... maybe oberlin... maybe portland?

whatever happened to you guys...?

was that a funny show or what. how many non-band people were there? 8?

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:34 pm

i see. just went to the bozart website.

portland connection. i think i was on "hello" terms with your drummer from seeing him all over portland back in the great holgator days. always liked holgator better than don cab....

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:45 pm

>>" Do you use any of the other Bias stuff?">>

just peak, but intrigued by SoundSoap..

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:02 pm

i'm using dp 4 and logic under X. both have worked pretty well, i've edited a couple cds on dp4 already. yes, very few plugins, but that will probably change soon, waves is out, pluggo is almost out (and i'm gonna put out some soon!! http://www.soundhack.com/plugins/) sorry - couldn't resist plugging my plugs...

i used to use deck, but bias is stuck at 16-bits, so i had to ditch it....

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:33 pm

>>"i used to use deck, but bias is stuck at 16-bits, so i had to ditch it....">>

you mean DECK is stuck at 16 bits..

btw soundhack, took a look at your AU plugs, looks interesting. will give them a whirl soon.