Guitarist/songwriter in Bay Area seeks band for melodic pop

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Guitarist/songwriter in Bay Area seeks band for melodic pop

Post by concubine » Thu May 13, 2004 2:24 pm

I've spent the last two years more or less in my garage writing and recording tunes, and I'm finally sick to death of not having a band. I'm trying to find another guitarist, a rhythm section, and hopefully one of those people will be able to sing, 'cause I sure as hell would prefer not to.

At any rate, these days I'm going for a particular combination of the melodic and the muscular. Yes, I like 3 - 4 minute melodic pop songs with catchy hooks and all, but I want to make sure there's an edge or energy there. The best examples of what I'm getting at would be in the ballpark of the Smiths, Television, and Thin Lizzy. All three bands were perfectly capable of weak-in-the-knees melodicism *and* fire-y energy. That said, I'm not above going a bit baroque or moody now and then, in a Nick Drake or Big Star "3rd/Sister Lovers" sort of way, if that makes sense. I'm trying to avoid anything "twee" sounding.

Other huge influences are the Go-Betweens, Felt, early REM, Love, Echo and the Bunnymen, XTC, early Nick Lowe, John Cale, Microdisney, Aztec Camera, Buzzcocks, mid to late 60s Beach Boys, Replacements (especially stuff like I Will Dare, Kiss Me On the Bus, Alex Chilton - you know poppier, stuff).

Anyway, ultimately I'd like to form a full functioning band that does shows, records, tours, etc... Although I write stuff, I'm also interested in collaborating. I have a bunch of songs that can be used as a starting point, or not... depending on what people think of 'em.

I've been running ads on Craigslist for a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd give this a try, seeing as I spend way too much time on this msg. board when at work anyway.

I'm in Oakland, but willing to drive elsewhere (within reason, of course).

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Re: Guitarist/songwriter in Bay Area seeks band for melodic

Post by HuskerDude » Thu May 13, 2004 7:07 pm

If only Davis, Fairfield, Vacaville and Vallejo would fall off the face of the earth and Oakland moved closer to Sacramento... :D
If you ever move up here for whatever reason, let me know, I think we'd get along pretty well.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Fri May 14, 2004 12:01 pm

HuskerDude wrote:If only Davis, Fairfield, Vacaville and Vallejo would fall off the face of the earth and Oakland moved closer to Sacramento... :D
If you ever move up here for whatever reason, let me know, I think we'd get along pretty well.
yeah, tell me about it. always wondered if there were likeminded muscians out yonder. nice avatar, by the way.

thomas
audio school

Post by thomas » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:49 pm

ah, my brother,
trying to find your band can be
very hard indeed.
my situation is similar to yours except that i have a band.
(it just needs to be upgraded.)
i'm in oakland too.
shoot me an e-mail, if you like at
thomas@transcender.us
thanks