Joel Hamilton, Two questions.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Joel Hamilton, Two questions.

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:40 pm

Hi,
1) Did you ever try out hose Grundig mics?

2) Any more news on the EH rack compressor?

Thanks,
Mark

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Joel Hamilton, Two questions.

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:01 pm

Grubdigs are sitting on the shelf. Got a tannoy ribbon that I have used three times now for guitar with great results.

Have not had time to bug pals at EH/new sensor about trying the comp.

I apologise. I am stupidly busy.

I promise a full report when I have tried each thing.

Those grundigs look great, though. pulled one out of the plastic, smiled, then put it away and did the session.

Good night. I got out early today. Yee haw.

EDIT:

How embarrasing to see my name like that. Quit it.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:16 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote: How embarrasing to see my name like that. Quit it.
Hey, it's your own fault!
If you didn't know so much shit, and have so much cool gear, and if you weren't so willing to share your info all the time... :worthy:

Sorry I embarrassed you, I appreciate the response and look forward to more info when you've got it.
Thanks,
Mark

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:52 am

FINALLY:

Put up one of those Grundig ribbons (grubdig as I typed above..hehe)....

AWESOME. Really amazing. They are shaped like a small 421, and have a similiar clip for the desk stand they each came with, or you can use one of those eastern block/ german stand adaptor thread thingies.

These mics RULE. I had no idea. Like a MORE detailed BK5. Like a cross between a BK5 and a Beyer 500. Or kinda like a cross between a Royer and a C12(in a budget way, but still really sensitive!)...

I pulled out the one that WASNT still in the original plastic(!) and I could not believe the detail in front of a weird old May-bell nylon string guitar I have.
The decay of the strings was captured (to PT HD @ 88.2) with amazing detail, and a very flattering "wooden honk box-ness" that I was really digging.

Worked really well. There seems to be a dip at about 3 or 4k, rising back up to about 10k. totally weird, but pleasing!

I cant wait to try the pair as room mics.

I will post the model number when I get to the studio in a minute. If you EVER see one of these for sale: buy it for sure. I have a bunch of really crazy vintage ribbons, and these hang with the best of them. I got the pair for like 330 dollars! a pair!

I would say they are on par with any other great ribbon. I will put one up on some rock guitar next week, next to a BK5 and my large tannoy ribbon. I bet it gets used!

The reslo ribbons that are ROUND, not the square ones. Those are an amazing ribbon as well....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:26 am

It is the Grundig GBM125 ribbon.

Grey/cream body (like the old 421's) but with a cool, silver slotted cap/screen.

Cardioid, fixed braided cable(xlr).

about 5 or 6 inches long.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:55 am

Cool, thanks Joel.
I had asked Stephen Sank about them (he's in my neck of the woods) and he didn't know anything about them. Since they were such an unknown quantity, I didn't feel good about dropping that kind of cash. And then I would have been bidding against you anyway. :D
I'm glad they worked out for you. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for more.
Mark

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue May 25, 2004 10:17 pm

Just recorded David Grubbs playing an SG through a gibson goldtone with one of the Grundigs.

These mics should be searched for. Amazing. Totally great, unique, quality sounds. Kick ass detail, but fully "ribbon" sounding microphone.

The GBM125 is rockin my world.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue May 25, 2004 11:07 pm

:?: OK, so what about the EH rack-mount compressor? :D

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 26, 2004 7:44 am

My pal Doug Henderson put one in his room, and he is saying it is stunning. This guy doesnt just say things like that. He used to be partners with Dave Sardy, has recorded a zillion great records, and has a mastering suite these days.

He was saying that the NY22 is punchier than all hell, and super, super useable. He has been using one across the stereo buss!

Me and tony are going to hopefully borrow it soon, but the word on the street here in brooklyn is that those NY22's are totally bad ass.

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Wed May 26, 2004 7:57 am

Sorry I missed the begining of this thread. Are the Grunding Mics actual ribbons?
I have a small Sennheiser, I latter found out it's a M21. Sounds from the description that this is simular. Like a 60% size 421 with the old gray finish. It also has a DIN conector. and the werd threading for some kind mic stand that I am unfamilure with.
Steve
check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Wed May 26, 2004 1:42 pm

is there a good link for info on these mics?

i ask because the name "Grundig" rang a bell and i remembered that i have an oddly shaped mic with that name on it in the attic..

looking at it:

two capsules mounted vertically, able to swivel 360 degrees, one cord per capsule for a total of two cords...

hmm. looks like something someone would use as a stereo mic..

what's the history?

-paul m.
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 26, 2004 1:46 pm

Grundig made a lot of crappy stuff, and a few really good items. The GBM125 is a really cool mic that not many people know about. There is a picture on the studio G website below, in "gear" of the GBM125.

Totally rocking uniaxial ribbon microphones. I have two, and they sound almost identical.

And good.

mack
ass engineer

Post by mack » Wed May 26, 2004 2:24 pm

New Orleans Steve wrote:Sorry I missed the begining of this thread. Are the Grunding Mics actual ribbons?
I have a small Sennheiser, I latter found out it's a M21. Sounds from the description that this is simular. Like a 60% size 421 with the old gray finish. It also has a DIN conector. and the werd threading for some kind mic stand that I am unfamilure with.
Steve
check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com
Steve,

I have the MD21. It may be the same or very similiar. I had to get a mic stand adapter for the European size mic. If you search there is a post from a little while back with a link to a audio and video site that sells these. Have you used the mic? I really enjoy the tone, and although I've only messed around with it, I can see it getting some definite use on some future projects.

Kyle

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed May 26, 2004 3:37 pm

black ark wrote:is there a good link for info on these mics?

i ask because the name "Grundig" rang a bell and i remembered that i have an oddly shaped mic with that name on it in the attic..

looking at it:

two capsules mounted vertically, able to swivel 360 degrees, one cord per capsule for a total of two cords...

hmm. looks like something someone would use as a stereo mic..

what's the history?

-paul m.
dude i have this mic as well! on mine once capsule sounds really great, like a nice solid dynamic, not as nice as a 441 maybe sm57 quality.

the other capsule is a bit f-ed. sounds weird. but not bad.

anyway, i find it to be a cool mic nonetheless.

if you find anything out about it tell me. mine came with a little case, but no item number at all!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu May 27, 2004 1:36 am

Joel,
Do you have any idea when they're planning on releasing the NY22? There's no mention of it on their site.
Thanks,
Mark