Movie Review: 28 Days Later

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Movie Review: 28 Days Later

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:14 am

Ok peeps, it's not often that I see a preview of a movie and check it out on opening day, especially with no second opinions from friends.

After the 5 commercials, not to mention no less than EIGHT fucking previews*, the movie started. There is full-frontal male nudity in the first 5 minutes, which makes many people squirmish, but it was "artistic" in my oppinion. Not a squirmish guy here.

Anyways, the movie rolls on and this guy has obviously woken up in a world with no people. Or so we are led to believe. Without giving the plot away, he finds a couple people pretty quick, simultaneously discovering that there's a "Night of the Living Dead" thing going on.

The Undead are many, traditional "zombies," but are (thankfully) far between. Not a major focus of the story.

The audio passed my tests, save for the really loud music in the first 5 minutes. The ADR was relatively unnoticable, and after the first 15 minutes or so, I stopped paying attention to it.

The acting was at least par, and the characters were colorful. Story was excecuted well, but not terribly original. Gory in parts, morbid in others; not a movie for weak chicks and fu-fu guys.

28 Days Later= The Stand + Lord of the Flies + Night of the Living Dead.

Overall, recommended if you liked the first to movies above. The last movie I could have cared less about, which gives it 2/3 I guess.

*I really, really can't wait until they start putting the commercials right in the middle of a movie. Something like, "Now, go buy popcorn while we try to sell you Preperation H." Not a good thing, folks, especially for the eight fucking dollars I spent on the ticket.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Movie Review: 28 Days Later

Post by wing » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:47 am

i love the previews part, sometimes when i see a crappy movie the previews end up being the best thing. but the CMs (commercials) thing is what bothers me now. they didn't used to have those back in the day. i don't want CMs about mcdonalds and preperation H. screw those jerks. use the TV for that! but in any event, along with good friends, they're always fun to make fun of.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:34 am

Zombies? I thought they were monkees. Now I know I have to see this movie!!!

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:52 am

i thought this was a great interview with the director:

http://www.res.com/magazine/articles/28 ... 05-21.html

that music in the beginning is a Godspeed You Black Emperor song.

i haven't seen it yet...planning on going after work.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:09 pm

The song itself was great, but the volume goes a little over the top. As the director stated, "It gets louder and louder." The dramatic effect was nice, but only up to the point where the audience goes, "The music is now getting louder and louder." Right up to that point, it was great.

But in retrospect, I think they didi a fine job on this film.
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:56 pm

I just saw this movie in a rowdy theatre. The first half was awesome!!! Even the second half was really clever and original, given the genre that is. The concept took the zombie cliche to a new place. The irony is that the first half was way more scary than the second. It even had a bit of a Dawn of the Dead shopping spree homage. It ranks up there. The music was cool too. They were definitly inspired by that game Silent Hill, which were inspired by Portishead. The digital camera grain was neat. There's so much to talk about.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:34 pm

Danny Boyle is a genius! I loved Trainspotting, and I am a huge fan of zombie movies, and I thought this was a really great, clever film. The grainy camera was an awesome touch. All the best horror films have that low budget, grainy look. Awesome movie.

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:37 am

so i'm not going to read the other posts but i did see the movie and some things i learned are

1. watching cnn can infect your blood with rage
2. there still hasn't been a good zombie movie since dawn of the dead
3. why the hell cand zombies use doors, are big plate glass windows that much easier?

word
michael kerchner

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:57 am

Oh, come on! It's a zombie movie. The premise doesn't make any sense.

I agree, Dawn of the Dead is the best, however that one scene, in 28, where the guy walks into the church and screams "hello"... the camera pans back n' forth in the pile of bodies, then 2 bodies look towards him... brilliant! That scared the shit out of me.

You know they're doing a remake of Dawn? It's going to be shit, 'cos the characters are going to be young instead of older adults. I hate that.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:50 am

Yeah that was pretty freaky... I liked the fact that there were little nuggets of humor throughout the movie.. Like the bad eggs... Excellent. There is no good horror movie that has no practical humor.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

huahhahhahahhuahh..im a zombie and im gonna eat yr brain..

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:06 am

it was worth seeing.

i thought the acting was good in many parts but lacked in others.

the shopping scene took away from the film.

entertaining to say the least.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:15 am

How did the shopping scene take away from the film? My thoughts are that a good horror film will splash in a sense of practicality, especially well-placed practical humor. I think that scene developed the characters in a good way. The older guy looking at the whiskey... It was odd that the lights were on though...

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:41 am

If you didn't like the shopping scene, then I suggest that you don't watch Dawn of the Dead.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:58 am

thewelfareline wrote: 2. there still hasn't been a good zombie movie since dawn of the dead
whoa... what about dead alive/braindead or bad taste?

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:48 pm

I absolutely loved this movie. I think that, contrary to some of the other posters, that it actually got a bit MORE scary in the 2nd half of the movie. Only because that is EXACTLY what would happen; it's all too real.

Plus GY!BE actually let someone use a song in a movie *gasp!* and it was the perfect fit.

Great movie all around from my perspective, I'll be going again (matinee) soon.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"