Nitetime

Agrafuese
audio school

Nitetime

Post by Agrafuese » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:22 am

Hey guys, I'm sorta new here, so I just thought I'd post a link to my band's site and hopefully some of you will take a liking to our stuff. It's a fun site even if you aren't crazy about us :) We're located in the LA/Silverlake area, so if you dig it come check us out or maybe we could even gig together some time if you think your band has a similar sound.

http://www.nitetime.net
Thanks and take care.

-Agra

zoetrope
pushin' record

Re: Nitetime

Post by zoetrope » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:02 am

Constructive criticism. The first thing I hit after clicking the link was this:
Welcome to Nitetime.net!

Before you continue, you will need Flash Player 6 installed on your computer.
You can download it from here.

Because of some large content size, dial-up users may need to wait up to 1 minute
for the site to load for the first time.
Not very inviting.
How about a direct link to an MP3? :wink:

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:30 pm

and really hard to find that "music corner"- it looks fancy though. although not the hugest fan of the "distressed" look.

ok, now listening to the first song... pretty lo-fi mp3... i like the tune, cant say much about the recording though, since it is so lo-fi... same thing on song two. i think i like that organ, but i cant really hear it.

decent songwriting... yea, i think i like it... still i wish you uped the quality of the mp3 though..

Agrafuese
audio school

Post by Agrafuese » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:16 am

Hey, thanks for stoping by guys. It's good to see that people actually check bands out around here! Well, thanks for the suggestions. As far as having a song to download on that beginning page, I thought about that and I figured it was pretty much useless. Why? Because think about it - if you're a slow dialup user, why would you waste your time trying to download a 1+ MB file when you could just load the whole 400KB flash site instead? And if you tried to do both at the same time (listen to a song while the page loaded), it would just go slower.

As far as the actual MP3s - yes, I know - they are very low quality files. And yes, the actual songs sound a hell of a lot better in their true format. There are a few problems (and you will agree if you've ever made a web page of your own):

1. You can't stream a high quality MP3 on a slow connection. It just doesn't work - unless of course you clip the song.
2. Who wants to sit there for 10 minutes trying to load one high quality song at a time? Even on a 1.5MB cable connection like the one I have, it just isn't worth the wait.

When building the page, I had to balance a few things around like that. It really was a sacrafice to have to encode the MP3s at such a low bitrate (48K to be exact!). But what other choice do I have? I really am not a fan of bands who clip their songs. I think that's super lame. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way? So I kinda figured that if I put some lo-fi versions of the songs up there, people could at least get a taste of what the music was like and then pursue us if they were interested. I also figured that I'd rather listen to 3 lo-fi songs than 1 super good song that took 10 minutes to download. Hearing 1 song from a band just never seemed appealing to me. Maybe I'm alone on that one too?

Well, tell me what you all think about that. I'd really be interested in finding out. I think a lot of the problem is that I haven't used a dialup connection in over 5 years and I really have no idea how long people are willing to wait to hear a band they've never even heard of before...

Thanks again for checking it out though. Take care.

-Agra

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:14 am

I liked it, thought the design was interesting and the song I heard was good, but I have to agree that it took a while to get to the music -- especially on a dialup. You should have an option for dialups on your cover page to bypass the flash animation and go right to the music.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:31 am

Hey Agra...

I didn't check your site :( but I've had dialup for years and actually prefer to wait 10-20 minutes to get one good high quality mp3. The lo-fi ones are usually so hard to listen to that I'd just delete them after 1 listen, or not even get through the whole song.

I think what people meant here on the message board about a direct link was that in your post, you could just link directly to the mp3 files so they wouldn't have to browse through their site when all they want is the mp3s. Thats what I do here anyway. Thanks for joining, and as soon as you put up some 128kbps mp3s I'll check em out!

Mike

Agrafuese
audio school

Post by Agrafuese » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:42 am

Well, due to an overwhelming demand for higher quality mp3's (can you feel the sarcasm?), I've replaced all of the old files with 128k ones. Thanks for suggesting this you guys. I'm still insisting that you all go to the site to listen to them because my original purpose for posting the link on this board was to attract fans of the music itself. I really didn't want any sort of critique. In fact, I don't give a damn if you do or don't like it - I don't want any replies at all actually. I just want anyone who likes it to keep in touch and enjoy the music. That's all. So you can go to the site if you want at http://www.nitetime.net. If you still don't want to navigate the site just to hear our music, you can visit the alternate HTML page I just made and download the files from there. It's really quick and simple. So do what you want and have fun!

-Agra

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:45 am

Agrafuese wrote:Well, due to an overwhelming demand for higher quality mp3's (can you feel the sarcasm?), I've replaced all of the old files with 128k ones. Thanks for suggesting this you guys. I'm still insisting that you all go to the site to listen to them because my original purpose for posting the link on this board was to attract fans of the music itself. I really didn't want any sort of critique. In fact, I don't give a damn if you do or don't like it - I don't want any replies at all actually. I just want anyone who likes it to keep in touch and enjoy the music. That's all. So you can go to the site if you want at http://www.nitetime.net. If you still don't want to navigate the site just to hear our music, you can visit the alternate HTML page I just made and download the files from there. It's really quick and simple. So do what you want and have fun!

-Agra
Hey Agra,

I got around the bandwidth issue for my band site by designing a much more basic site than yours, and offering "lofi" and "hifi" (for an mp3) options for download. Seems to work.

Good luck.

Best,
--JES