American Analog Set

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

American Analog Set

Post by DeafinONEear » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:28 am

Don't know if this should go here or in the music forum, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the show last night in SF rocked and today should be really great as well.
Bottom of the Hill.... it'll be one of those backyard BBQ things they do. They don't have the real keyboardist with them (as if there was actually a real keyboardist after Lisa!) (I'm just kidding about that one, take it with a grain of salt) as he's getting married, but the sit in keys dude really really REALLY is doing a good job and they sound much better than last year, though just about as on hit as when they were supporting Golden Band.

OH! but goddamn if Kenny's voice hasn't gotten infinitely better!

I sure wish they would get a girl back in that band, though-- I'm kinda thinking that they need some estrogen balance in there... maybe that's what made the first three albums sparkle so much.

Anyone like the new album? I can't tell yet.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: American Analog Set

Post by bedbug » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:14 am

I just burned Promise of Love last week. I don't know if it's the new one or not, but I'm really digging it.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:26 pm

if that's the only amanset you've heard, I highly suggest not basing your opnion of them on it.... the first three albums "The Fun of Watching Fireworks" "From Our Living Room to Yours" and "The Golden Band" are freaking masterpieces! All are on my top ten ever lists.

But as a side note, I would kindly suggest that if you're listening to the album then you actually buy it. They aren't a really big band at all and can really use the money. :? Support small independant bands, burn from the big labels. Not that I advocate even that, but if you are going to burn stuff, I think there are better bands to be burning.

But I'm glad to hear you dig it. Serisouly check out those other albums!

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:28 pm

I definitely want to hear their earlier ones. If they're better than Promise, then they must be pretty good. Kinda puts me in the mind of what Yo La Tengo would sound like if they made albums I could sit through.

I strongly agree with you in theory on your views about paying for CDs by small independent bands. The last CD I bought was in April. This month I've had pretty serious car repairs, the kitty had surgery, and on top of that I'm trying to set aside a little dough for Lebowskifest.

I figure AmAnSet makes most of their money from touring though. Remember, Wilco has never seen a royalty from an album. I just use them as an example because they're a fairly popular (grammy nominated) band. And if they don't see money from their albums, things must be bleak! Probably a different thread though ...

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:21 pm

I remember one of their shows, they played openned for the Dandy Warhols. One of those times when the openning band is way better. It was a few years back, though. I haven't heard any of their recent stuff.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:50 am

Good point. I REALLY don't think people realize just how little a band makes off a CD. Really wanna support 'em, go check 'em LIVE!

Then buy they're 7" for 4 bucks, cus chances are they will make more off that then the $14 CD you bought at (insert rec-store name here).

Back to the topic; I really dig AmAnSet. Glad to know they are still puttin out good stuph. :D
boobs are life's fountain

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:25 am

I don't know.... how then do you equate it in if you buy a CD directly from them at a show? How then do you think the profits are going?
I do this alot, especially with AmAnSet... the only time they come around is to support thier new album, which you can always buy from them for $10 which is a meal cheaper than buying from the store and I choose to believe that they see alot more money from that.
can you agree with this?

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:57 am

oh, no, I buy as many CD's direct as I can. My point was that just buying a 7" single direct is likley more profitable than a full album from a record store, if it's not consigned, but maybe still.

Direct sales is the way to go for both parties. Cut the middle man and save on factory direct prices (united buy and sale furniture warehouse jingle)
boobs are life's fountain

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:13 pm

I saw them here in Seattle and was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe they were having an off night. You could barely hear the keys, and the bass succeeded in swallowing everything else in the mix. Oh, and many of the basslines were boring versions of the ones on the records.

I really don't care for Promise of Love too much either. I think "Know By Heart" is amazing (even though too much of that "tick tick", papery Hot Rod drum sound drives me nuts), but the songs of Promise of Love seem kind of half-baked to me.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:39 pm

marqueemoon wrote:I saw them here in Seattle and was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe they were having an off night. You could barely hear the keys, and the bass succeeded in swallowing everything else in the mix. Oh, and many of the basslines were boring versions of the ones on the records. .
Yeah, I don't know why, but Lee's bass is always disgustingly loud. And it seems to me that whoever is doing the live mix ALWAYS turns the kick up to an annoying thump that is never ever present on the recordings.
marqueemoon wrote:I really don't care for Promise of Love too much either. .
I feel ya. I definitely think it's thier weakest effort yet. It's like they're walking backwards... how very sad....
marqueemoon wrote:I think "Know By Heart" is amazing (even though too much of that "tick tick", papery Hot Rod drum sound drives me nuts),.
I think this is really funny because the drummer in my band uses those exclusively and there is just no other stick that sounds as good with his kit. I really enjoy it too, as it means not having to play super loud to keep up with the drums.... I actually think about 40% of the bands out there would benifit from their drummers unsing these things...
marqueemoon wrote:but the songs of Promise of Love seem kind of half-baked to me.
agreed. sadly, but agreed. but I will always support them-- those early records were such an inpiration to me!
And yes, they don't really come accross as well on stage as on record....
I wonder if the reason they have become so blah is because the singer is getting a doctorate in medicine in NY.... I would imagine that coming home once a year and working on stuff then isn't all that condusive to a having cohesive band....

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:59 pm

- Gotta agree with ya all around, Deaf. The live mix is crucial for these guys, because the sounds combine to make something greater, and if the proportions are off, it's like a cake recipe somebody read wrong.

As far as the Hot Rods thing goes, I do think they can sound really good, but something about the way they sound on the snare on that record drives me nuts.