Dear god please help.

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
xaqary
gettin' sounds

Dear god please help.

Post by xaqary » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:59 pm

We just started (month or so ago) recording digital. Things were going well even though we went against adive and recorded to the same hard drive as our OS (OSX). We have since had some problems- When we open a project we get a message that says files not found and an option to look for them. They do not get found and we just move on. Everything seems to be working corectly but its giving us the creeps. When we finish and go to close the session we get a message that "there are incomlete tasks close anyway?" and we do. No problems everything seems to be working but WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Also we save all projects to the desktop (bounces also) and I have heard this is not the way to go. Where should we be saving to?

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Re: Dear god please help.

Post by pandafresh » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:48 pm

god cant help ya on this.. well. unless it's the spirit of hard drives god. i record to a second internal HD without problems.. or a nice firewire external drive would fit the bill nicely too i would think.. record to anything, that is fast enough, and not where your system is.. working on your desktop.. i dont think is ever adviseable.. good file structure imo can go a along way in keeping a happy harddrive.. or atleast i *THINK* it does.. so it works out eitherway.

-trevor

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:45 am

Yeah...I'd definitely suggest getting the 2nd hard drive. They're cheap. I just got a 120GB 7200rpm drive for $80 (after the dreaded rebates).

I also like to work on the desktop, so I just build a folder for each band's project on the audio drive and then put a shortcut to it on the desktop.

Your problems do sound scary...just out of curiousity, what program are you running?

xaqary
gettin' sounds

Post by xaqary » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:22 am

Protools