Pro Tools Book?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Belondon
audio school

Pro Tools Book?

Post by Belondon » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:32 am

Just getting wet w/ pro tools. Any suggestions on a good simple reference book. Unfortunately I got the mind for music, not manuals.

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Pro Tools Book?

Post by ahmedgarcia » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:24 pm

Yea, the manual is like over 1,000 pages. Go to the digidesign site and look for tutorials or something like that, support? They have several free DVDs to learn pro tools. I got like three or four of them now. They like make one or two every year or something like that.

That manual is sooooo big I freaked. I have read all of my manuals for all my hardware and software but the PT one was daunting. The DVD REALLY helped. Now the manual is a reference book only.

Well I just went to their site. You have to go to a product like the Digi001 or Digi002 or others. Once at the product page there is a link to get a Free DVD. There is at least three DVDs, one for the 001, 002, and the rackmount 002. Each one has a section to learn the software.

Now there was one DVD on the site that I got last year on JUST the software but I could not find it on their site. I will keep looking. I just ordered the one for the 002 rack.

Also, their site has video tutorials on how to do what on PT. I wonder if I can copy off my DVD if you need one?

Good Luck.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:31 pm

If you're familiar with normal console operations and editing tape, then there's not much new to learn in the Pro Tools domain- other than commands to do what you've done before. If you've never sat in front of a big console and done a mix, you might be slightly flummoxed as to where to begin. I recommend formulating some specific questions in your mind and then referencing the manual to get you started. Make it a point to learn something(s) new every day you work.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:59 am

Have a wade through this.I think it's been posted here before.

http://duc.digidesign.com
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

saag paneer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saag paneer » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:52 pm

Pro Tools 5.1 for Music Production by Mike Collins is a waste of money.

the manual is good for reference; read it as thoroughly as you can bear.

if you have questions, search the DUC (see link above). it's a goldmine of information mixed with useless crap. i don't take the opinions there very seriously, and it's not, y'know, artistic like this board is, but if you wanna know how to make Pro Tools work it's very useful.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:01 am

Here's a suggestion, ditch pro tools and save yourself the time and money of messing with a shitty DAW that will only limit what you do and slow you down... :evil:

Whoah, I'm angry, who needs a drink......