Compaq

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Mark
tinnitus

Compaq

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:27 pm

Anyone else here using, or familiar with, compaq computers?

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Compaq

Post by ahmedgarcia » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:41 pm

My understanding is that they are better then Dells or IBMs for audio

d franko
pluggin' in mics

Post by d franko » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:55 pm

Isn't compaq now HP?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:48 pm

Ish. I do not like Compaqs that I have used. Maybe its just their low-midline stuff, but it seems like they get bundles of whatever components are cheapest and throw it at the wall to see if it sticks. If it so much as boots, then they call it a model number.

Another thing that is real annoying is load it all down with a mess of "support" options that make whatever it is you've gotten go real slow. Granted you can remove all that crap, but wouldn't it be nicer if you didn't have to deal with it at all?

Really, the brand name doesn't matter so much as the motherboard (which will pr'y be rebranded as Compaq, but will not likely be actually manufactured by them), the chip and the chipset.

Build y'r own is the way to go. Barring that, if you absolutely must go with a brand-name prebuilt, I would go Dell or Gateway.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:58 pm

I was getting a weird springiness in the mouse action, so I took it apart to clean it and some bits fell out. I couldn't fathom where on earth they'd came from so I reassembled it with out them. It works fine. I swear some manufacturers put parts in their products solely to drive you nuts by having no obvious place to go.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:07 am

Whooa, better than a dell? I use a dimension 8200, got it on the advice of computers and music in S.F., and with a few tweaks, works great. I've actually heard nothing but bad things about Compaq, especially for audio. Watch out for cheap computers; many budget computers use inferior motherboards that are incompatible with certain audio interfaces. The best thing you can do is buy it on a 30-day return policy; if it isn't going to work, you'll know pretty quickly. The most recommended consumer desktops for audio (this is from reading all of the forums) are dell and gateway.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:55 am

ahmedgarcia wrote:My understanding is that they are better then Dells or IBMs for audio
Compaqs suck mad donkey balls!

Seriously, one of the worst computers I've ever used. Dell does circles around them.

Frankly, why buy a computer when you could build your own?

d franko
pluggin' in mics

Post by d franko » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:14 am

Known Incompatibilities
Caution - Digi 001 is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets
Hewlett Packard Pavillion line of computers

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:11 am

Anobody who's not building their own PC for audio needs to check out Carillon at carillonusa.com. I bought one, competitively priced, that just screams.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

kernel
audio school

Post by kernel » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:36 pm

I've been fixing compaqs longer than I'd care to admit. Back in the day they would rivot isa cards to the cases....funny stuff. When it comes to using them for audio I agree with the board, build your own. You'll be happy you did.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:03 pm

If you really want an off-the-shelf system, I'd recommend Dell. I like 'em. But you'll get *exactly* what you want if you build your own. Besides, it's fun to build a franken-box. :)

-mark

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:05 am

we had a number of compaqs donated to our school's music studio. they have been easily the most unreliable computers ever in our studio. our dells are much much better. one compaq has crashed 3-4 weeks before the end of the semester (losing many audio projects and other classwork), two semesters in a row!!! they are headed for the dumpster (or a poor faculty member's office) this summer.