What do you think of these drum levels?

LaSalle bon Dioxide
audio school graduate

What do you think of these drum levels?

Post by LaSalle bon Dioxide » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:48 am

At first, I thought they were too up front, but this mix is starting to grow on me...

www.some.com/new/03mp3s/youngandrandy.mp3
If you try once and fail, try three times harder and if you fail, maybe it's time to re-evaluate your approach.

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Re: What do you think of these drum levels?

Post by kristopher612 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:29 pm

imho, a lot of the harder hits (i.e.hi hats, snare, bass drum) are overpowering the rest of the tracks. it sounds like my four track when i'm recording drums. it seems like its mainly hi hats and BD though. if you could lower those some, then it would be good. it's just not letting anything else out, which is making the track suffer. but that's just my .02, and im mexican, so i guess those would be converted into pesos, givingyou a yeild of nothing worth keeping...

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:38 am

It's not growing on me. I'd take the drums down and/or compress.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:18 am

eq that snare it just doesn't sit. I think the kick should have more thwap also.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

LaSalle bon Dioxide
audio school graduate

Post by LaSalle bon Dioxide » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:47 pm

Thanks for reaffirming my original concerns. My band just recorded some new tunes with the drums a bit further down in the mix and I think everything meshes much more nicely. Although I'm happy enough (at this point, I have to be) with that mix, I'll have to chalk that tune and the rest of the tunes on that upcoming release as a learning experience. Thanks.
If you try once and fail, try three times harder and if you fail, maybe it's time to re-evaluate your approach.