Russian Recording: Check us out!

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Russian Recording: Check us out!

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:44 am

Hello everybody.

After 3 months of hard work, I feel that my studio's website is finally ready for the tapeop critique, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The Tour page photos are finally up and I will eventually (in the next month or so) have photos of all of the equipment. I've got some pretty cool stuff coming in so Im holding off until then.

Please let me know if anything doesn't load right, or is unclear. I spent a lot of time trying to make everything easilly acessible and also very informative.

feel free to download some audio samples from the Audio page too...

www.russianrecording.com

thanks a lot,
mike
Last edited by Russian Recording on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Re: Russian Recording:new website ready for perusing and fee

Post by helmuth » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:44 pm

Looks great, both the studio and the website. Are the live room purple ceilings catholic or gothic? Either way they scare the hell out of me.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm

Your pics are great. Whoever "vibe'd" out your rooms deserves major kudos.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:38 am

eskimo wrote:Looks great, both the studio and the website. Are the live room purple ceilings catholic or gothic? Either way they scare the hell out of me.
Thanks a lot. Catholic or Gothic? I don't know... they're Russian. Spooky is good.

Your pics are great. Whoever "vibe'd" out your rooms deserves major kudos.
Thanks Meriphew. I put a lot of effort in trying to make the place look cool. It used to be a chiropractor's office in the 70's. When I moved in it was all white and painted really crappy. The live room was carpeted with sticky poo-color carpeting. I got a 15' ladder and a shitload of paint, took 2 weeks off of my day job and painted the entire place. It helped a lot. Then I bought 17 oak doors from the University and cut them and made the floor, which helped aestheticaly, but most importantly it helped tremendously with the acoustics.

Any other comments and/or suggestions are very welcome.

thanks
mtar

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Re: Russian Recording: Check us out!

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:09 am

I just wanted to bring this sucker back up for some more exposure and to get more feedback. I value feedback regarding the design of the site, the quality of the recorded samples, and whatever else you feel like feeding-back upon.

Late December should see some new improvements to the site with new audio samples, new gear (that hasn't been listed yet), photos of gear, staff bios, a guestbook, and a raffle to win Russian Recording thongs.

www.russianrecording.com

thanks
mtar

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:42 am

the web site is absolutely great. the studio looks awesome too! nice work--hope business is good.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:18 pm

I just got to hear some stuff that Michael recorded. Good stuff! Indiana guys take note!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:55 pm

I like the sites, both web and in reality. That house looks like one where I dreamt about having a studio once.

Can you tell me your thinking about the positions of the acoustic foam in the dead/guitar room? Thanks.

b

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:20 pm

really cool!
i'd totally want to do stuff there if i were indianian!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:02 pm

what is the B&W bass alignment filter all about?
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:25 pm

what is the B&W bass alignment filter all about?
The box provides a small boost at set frequency (which is adjustable via binary switches...), which extends the low-end response of your loudspeakers, while at the same time providing a very low high pass filter to filter out sub-sonic frequencies which can cause distortion.

Here is the description from the manual... they can explain better than I.

"This 2nd order external unit extends response by half an octave (-3 dB points) with a sixth-order Butterworth alignment, in the process filtering out sub-sonic frequencies which may give rise to excessive cone excursion and intermod distortion"

"The sixth order alignment is a means of enabling your loudspeaker enclosure to deliver and enchanced performance. It provides for greater sensitivity, better bass extension, or a combination of both.
The improvement is achieved by marrying an overdamped fourth-order vented loudspeaker alignment with a second order active high-pass filter. In the case of the Butterworth alignment normally used, this active filter has a "Q" of two, tuned to the systems resonant frequency, supplying boost without excessive cone excursion. It also reduces output and cone "flapping" at unwanted subsonic frequencies"

I hope this helps,
mtar
Last edited by Russian Recording on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:55 pm

Brian Brock wrote:I like the sites, both web and in reality. That house looks like one where I dreamt about having a studio once.

Can you tell me your thinking about the positions of the acoustic foam in the dead/guitar room? Thanks.

b
Hey Brian,
Sorry I didn't see your question until today.

The acoustic paneling in the dead room is actually pretty random. Although I want the dead room to be "dead" I still want it to have some "acoustic character". So rather than cover the walls entirely with acoustic foam, I chose to disperse it randomly accross the walls.

Although the placement is random, the idea and reasoning for it came from reading Everest's book on Acoustics (the exact title of the book escapes me right now, but it's a highly regarded resource). He goes over several simple options for creating diffusion. Of all the options, including a single large semisphere diffusor, scattered hemispheres and scattered absorbtion, scattered absorption yeileded the best diffusion results, but sacrificed a lot of the room's natural ambience. So for my needs in the dead room it worked out perfect by creating natural difusion and deadening the reflections at the same time.

Several pieces were put up strategically to eliminate some serious flutter echo. This was done by listening carefully to where a resonce was emenating from after clapping my hands (I made sure to stand in areas where I most commonly place guitar/bass amps). Then I had my intern move a piece of foam in the general vacinity until the flutter echo could no longer be heard.

I hope this helps.

thanks,
mike

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:25 pm

michaeltheangryrussian wrote: The box provides a small boost at set frequency ...
wow, thanks! y'know, interesting, i just bought a set of these speakers used and found the bass response to be...low? minimal? anyway, i'm just running them off a marantz right now, and have heard if i go for a bryston the bass shapes up a lot, but i wonder if this filter would help that too.

thanks again for the informative reply.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:08 am

aurelialuz wrote:
michaeltheangryrussian wrote: The box provides a small boost at set frequency ...
i found the bass response to be...low? minimal? anyway, i'm just running them off a marantz right now, and have heard if i go for a bryston the bass shapes up a lot, but i wonder if this filter would help that too.

thanks again for the informative reply.

alex
Yes, I felt the same way, which is why I bought the filter. If you can find it for cheap, I say go for it, but to be quite honest, it's not worth the money that B&W will charge you for it (which is what I paid). Although it clears things up a bit, I think what the speakers really need is at least 125W per side of good clean power. I am currently running a 65W/ch Rotel, but will be upgrading to a Bryston 3B shortly.

mtar

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:45 am

michaeltheangryrussian wrote: Yes, I felt the same way, which is why I bought the filter. If you can find it for cheap, I say go for it, but to be quite honest, it's not worth the money that B&W will charge you for it (which is what I paid). Although it clears things up a bit, I think what the speakers really need is at least 125W per side of good clean power. I am currently running a 65W/ch Rotel, but will be upgrading to a Bryston 3B shortly.
ah, see, cool. that's what i'm going to do then. looks like the two of us will be bidding against each other for 3Bs... :D

thanks michael.