Russian Recording: Check us out!

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Russian Recording: Check us out!

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:38 pm

aurelialuz wrote:wow, thanks! y'know, interesting, i just bought a set of these speakers used and found the bass response to be...low? minimal?
Man, these speakers have phenomenal bass response for their size. I'd definitely recommend a hefty amp for these things. With a good amp, there should be no reason for them to seem "deficient" for a set of nearfields.

I got one of the B&W bass alignment filters recently (ebay--cheap) but haven't gotten to hear it yet because I haven't made cables for it. (RCA I/O)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:44 pm

aurelialuz wrote:what is the B&W bass alignment filter all about?
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerr ... ndex4.html

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:21 pm

cgarges wrote: Man, these speakers have phenomenal bass response for their size. I'd definitely recommend a hefty amp for these things. With a good amp, there should be no reason for them to seem "deficient" for a set of nearfields.
must be the amp then. we were using paradigms in here, i can never remember the model, and the difference was not even subtle.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:57 pm

Really nice studio you got there. Really dig the color and the rooms. Did you build your traps/treatment?

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:34 am

trodden wrote:Really nice studio you got there. Really dig the color and the rooms. Did you build your traps/treatment?
Hey, thanks.

With the help of some friends we built all of the bass traps and treatments. The bass traps are made of pine frames surrounding Owens-Corning 2" and 3" 705 FRK. The FRK has one side covered with paper. All the traps in the back of the control room have paper out (less absorption in high freq), and all the ones in the front have fiberglass out, for a dead front, live back. They all covered in bulrap or thin fabric. The pine was stained to look sharp and fancy.

I came accross two more boxes of 2" rigid fiberglass where I work, so Ill be building 12 more traps to cover the live room and dead room sometime this year, probably when it's warm again.

thanks again.
mike

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:54 am

Looks like a great place, but the site's going a little wacky on dial-up, FAQ has appeared almost scattered on the page and it's either pretty slow loading or it's failed a couple of times. Thought you'd want to know.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com