Keen to hear your feedback.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Keen to hear your feedback.

Post by Rigsby » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:39 pm

I stumbled upon this charity CD project that's in the pipeline a few days ago and thought i'd put something forward. As i'm in the middle of writing and recording my record nothing recent is finished, so i came up with this on Sunday, did a little Monday and Tuesday afternoon and just finished the first mix. I like these quick projects as i just have to get on with them and there's not enough time for too much reflection. I guess i need that right now as the record's pretty elaborate with a lot of scoring and tracking involved, so this has been a welcome musical break.

I used what i had to hand so it's some single note string samples (viola, cello and double bass), toms, a crash, a 1960's Roberts Radio (handily retro-fitted with an output) and some Glockenpiel. I think the bass is a bit loud, and i'm concerned the mix is lacking headroom, what do you think? Any suggestions more than gratefully recieved.

My girlfriend called it Little Rug
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

SqueeGees
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Keen to hear your feedback.

Post by SqueeGees » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:39 pm

my player keeps skipping out... but i got the jest of it and i think its pure beauty... very Yan Terssian''ish... not that you should try to keep up with his artistic vision... what you got going is a great sound and i wish i could produce music half as good... keep up the good works and keep posting. as i would love to hear more
fantabulospleefiasco

sweet zombie jesus

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:22 am

It's skipping for me too, but, even with that, I really like this. I go through a lot of "phases," listening to nothing but instrumnetal bands, compositions and soundtracks, so this is right up my alley. What are you sequencing this with?

And man, let me know when your record is finished, Rigsby. I think I'm going to like it a lot.
I am wangtacular.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:27 am

SqueeGees wrote:my player keeps skipping out... but i got the jest of it and i think its pure beauty... very Yan Terssian''ish... not that you should try to keep up with his artistic vision... what you got going is a great sound and i wish i could produce music half as good... keep up the good works and keep posting. as i would love to hear more
Hey thanks, that's very kind, i'll google Yan Terssian, not heard of him. A few months ago i did a version of The Beatles' Sun King for the tape op board Abbey Road comp that's in a fairly similar vein if you're interested, you can hear it here.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:02 am

Bear wrote:It's skipping for me too, but, even with that, I really like this. I go through a lot of "phases," listening to nothing but instrumnetal bands, compositions and soundtracks, so this is right up my alley. What are you sequencing this with?

And man, let me know when your record is finished, Rigsby. I think I'm going to like it a lot.
Thanks bear, very kind. I'm recording to VST, the string samples go in as single note wavs and i move them to the bar i want them to be, no sampler or keyboard right now. The samples only come in major notes so i have to pitch up a tone to get the sharps and flats, which is a pain sometimes - i really need some new samples. The glock this time was my little 17 note one as i prefer it's tone, and recorded with my C4000 with the glock sat on my lap. I'm wondering if it's the mp3 skipping is something i can do something about, any suggestions? I might download it and see if it skips for me too, i know it didn't before i put it up on my site. I've not found out if i get to be on the charity Cd thing yet, fingers crossed.

rigsbysmith.com

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:13 am

It was just skipping in quicktime. I downloaded it and played it in itunes and it's running fine. Which is nice. The glock sounds fantastic.

Good luck on the CD.
I am wangtacular.

SqueeGees
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SqueeGees » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:56 pm

Bear wrote:It was just skipping in quicktime.
Good luck on the CD.
yes... quicktime is not the best out there and good luck as well...

oh... and i thought this deserved a bump back to the top

Yann Tiersen(i think thats how you spell his name.) did the score for the movie AMELIE... directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet...
fantabulospleefiasco

sweet zombie jesus

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:50 am

SqueeGees wrote:
Bear wrote:It was just skipping in quicktime.
Good luck on the CD.
yes... quicktime is not the best out there and good luck as well...

oh... and i thought this deserved a bump back to the top

Yann Tiersen(i think thats how you spell his name.) did the score for the movie AMELIE... directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet...
Ahhh, right, think i recall. I'll check out some more, thanks. Thanks also for the bump, but what did you think of the piece?

Anyone agree the bass may be a little loud? How's the mix generally?

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:51 am

...sorry, just realised it was you who posted earlier.

rigsbysmith.com

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:51 am

Yann Tierson is fantastic. I love his stuff.

And the mix is a tad bass heavy, but not speaker rattling. And it sounds good, though I've only listened in headphones so far. Let me play it on some speakers and get back to you.
I am wangtacular.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:58 am

Bear wrote:Yann Tierson is fantastic. I love his stuff.

And the mix is a tad bass heavy, but not speaker rattling. And it sounds good, though I've only listened in headphones so far. Let me play it on some speakers and get back to you.
Cheers Bear, yeah, pls do get back, i'd be keen to know what you think. It's mainly the bass part that comes in with the glock that i'm concerned about, but anything you (or anyone else for that matter) thinks is relevant, i'd like to know too.

By the way, never recieved your CD, any chance of getting one sent over here? That'd be sweet.

rigsbysmith.com

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:54 am

Dude, this sounds tight! I love it. I also love the fact that "what [you've] got on hand" is a viola, cello, double bass, crash, old radio, and a Glock. Awesome! I hope it's a good thing that I was itching to throw down some drums to this. The barely there rhythmic tension is great.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:26 pm

Rigsby wrote:
Bear wrote:Yann Tierson is fantastic. I love his stuff.

Cheers Bear, yeah, pls do get back, i'd be keen to know what you think. It's mainly the bass part that comes in with the glock that i'm concerned about, but anything you (or anyone else for that matter) thinks is relevant, i'd like to know too.

By the way, never recieved your CD, any chance of getting one sent over here? That'd be sweet.
OKay. Played it on speakers. And yeah, pull the bass back some. Not too much, as the bassiness is part of why I like this, but it does get a little heavy at times. Might just want to do some high-passing, and perhaps pulling the volume back a little. But again, don't lose all the weight. It adds a lot.

And you didn't get the last bunch of CDs either?! Fuckity fuck. Well, give me your address again (double check it!), and I'll put another one in the post. I don't know what the problem is, but hey, third time's a something.
I am wangtacular.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:48 pm

andrew embassy wrote:Dude, this sounds tight! I love it. I also love the fact that "what [you've] got on hand" is a viola, cello, double bass, crash, old radio, and a Glock. Awesome! I hope it's a good thing that I was itching to throw down some drums to this. The barely there rhythmic tension is great.
Hey thanks Andrew, really pleased you like it, especially considering how much i like your stuff too. If you want to throw down some drums then go ahead. It'd take me forever to upload, but maybe i could send you links to the wavs if you want to get a little more creative with it ...your call either way, but feel free.

The strings are all made from single note samples, so those weren't instruments i actually had to hand, but still, it's cool sometimes to have to play within your limitations i reckon. Just loving my glockenspiels, bit envious of your vibes though, way out of my budget right now, but i'm going to have to try a set someday soon. I'll be playing some Marimba on my record, recording with that in Jan, really can't wait. Tuned percussion rules.

Bear wrote: OKay. Played it on speakers. And yeah, pull the bass back some. Not too much, as the bassiness is part of why I like this, but it does get a little heavy at times. Might just want to do some high-passing, and perhaps pulling the volume back a little. But again, don't lose all the weight. It adds a lot.
Thanks for taking the time Bear, and good call, that's pretty much what i'd been thinking. I normalised the mix and i think i cranked it just a little too much and lost the headroom. I find that mixing with the sound of the mac's fan in the room screws with my hearing and the bass often comes out a little loud. I'm going to build up the courage to drill through to the bedroom and store the hard drive in there, should counteract that. Anyway, i'll probably make the changes in the next couple of days and update here.
And you didn't get the last bunch of CDs either?! Fuckity fuck. Well, give me your address again (double check it!), and I'll put another one in the post. I don't know what the problem is, but hey, third time's a something.
PMing you straight after this. Really looking forward to hearing your stuff, especially with the banjo.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:18 am

I rolled off a little of that bass and i think it's better now, i've replaced the old mix with the new in the original link. Things are looking good for the compilation though i haven't recieved confirmation yet.

rigsbysmith.com